Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2023, 12:02 PM

12,820 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people have a soft spot for Jimmy G here, but I don't know how I feel about a potential MJ for JG trade. Like Carr, we know what Jimmy G is at this point. It's not bad. But I don't know that it's what we want to aim for in the future either.

I'm not surprised by BB's response and don't really read too much into it. Seems like classic Bill. Mac didn't play well this year and even regressed from last year. And whether that's Mac's fault or not, it makes sense that BB wouldn't commit to him as the starter in 2023. Bill's always been a big "you have to earn your spot" guy, so it figures he just say "yes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 02:32 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
You can’t get mad at a kid who is seeking outside help and expressing his frustration in private channels. That’s pretty much textbook abuse in any “relationship”. MJ did exactly what you are supposed to do. He sought advice mentorship and a listening ear, privately. He wants to win

It’s overreaching and domineering. It’s absolutely none of your business Bill. There is Like to no chance MJ will stay here being his rookie contract so the hunt should be on now for a lo NY term replacement.

Old 01-13-2023, 04:13 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Garoppolo is a free agent. Either you’re trading Mac for someone else, or benching him while signing Jimmy to start. While I have always liked Jimmy G, at this point, I’d wish him the best elsewhere. Sadly he can’t stay healthy.

Old 01-13-2023, 06:10 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
It's sounding like the Patriots indeed may manage to hang onto Mayo. Most local sports analysts who follow the Patriots think Kraft may have a hand in this, too. Certainly, it's not like Belichick to make the announcement the Patriots did - that they're working to extend Mayo's engagement with the team, and, that they're going to be interviewing offensive coordinator candidates next week. One guy said that the Patriots coaches had planned a vacation for next week - of course, that would have been an inopportune time for the de-facto GM to go on vacation - right at the season's end, when OC candidates hit the market and are being snapped up quickly if you aren't in the game.

Old 01-14-2023, 05:46 PM

Amazing playoff game with the Seahawks and the 49ers - the first half was very close but the 49ers just pulled away in the second half. The 49ers were being led by rookie Brock Purdy - their 3rd string quarterback who is playing only because Trey Lance and Jimmy Garoppolo are both out injured. Purdy is playing great - he's now 6-0 with a QBR of 103 and just won his first playoff game. And Purdy was taken as the absolute last player in the NFL draft - position 262, which is nicknamed "Mr Irrelevant". So far, he's playing like the 49ers best quarterback!

Old 01-17-2023, 05:26 AM

Some speculation of Tom Brady leaving the Buccaneers.. and perhaps going back to New England and rejoining Belichick, or going to Las Vegas and rejoining Josh McDaniels. I don't know where, if anywhere, Brady might move to, but I think New England would be about the last team he'd go back to. Both Brady and Belichick have always been very respectful of one another in the media, but Brady left because he was unhappy, and Belichick was the person responsible for his unhappiness, and didn't make concessions to keep Brady. I think Belichick felt Brady was washed up - he was talking about trading Brady for years before Brady actually left, so he didn't seem to place a lot of value on him.
https://people.com/sports/rob-gronko...s-to-patriots/
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...g-2022-season/

Old 01-17-2023, 07:23 AM

12,820 posts, read 21,993,461 times
^ I don't think there's a shot in hell that he ends up back in NE. From a fan perspective, I get the appeal. It would be full circle, finishing his career where it started and if he's successful, it's a story for the books. He's also still a better QB than what we currently have, so it would be an upgrade on that front too.

But you said it - Bill and Brady almost certainly don't want to work together again. Bill is still trying to prove he can do it without Brady. And at 45 with all of his accomplishments to date, Brady will probably want to prove he can do it somewhere else. And considering his age, he's not going to want to go anywhere other than a team that's more or less a QB away from winning it all. The Pats have good bones, but they'd need to add a few big weapons on offense (and improve the D a bit more) before anyone would call them "a QB away" from winning a Super Bowl. Vegas is closer (and Josh McDaniels is there). San Francisco is undoubtedly there (and that's his hometown). Miami's almost there. Sean Payton could get a job and lure Brady too. But no way he comes back to New England for anything other than a 1-day deal to "retire a Patriot" (and I even doubt that).

Old 01-17-2023, 10:16 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I stopped watching the pats. First season ever where I didn't watch a single game since the 1997 season when Drew Bledsoe took the pats to the superbowl.

I will say though, that the thought of Tom doing one more season with the Patriots would bring me back.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^ I don't think there's a shot in hell that he ends up back in NE. From a fan perspective, I get the appeal. It would be full circle, finishing his career where it started and if he's successful, it's a story for the books. He's also still a better QB than what we currently have, so it would be an upgrade on that front too.

But you said it - Bill and Brady almost certainly don't want to work together again. Bill is still trying to prove he can do it without Brady. And at 45 with all of his accomplishments to date, Brady will probably want to prove he can do it somewhere else. And considering his age, he's not going to want to go anywhere other than a team that's more or less a QB away from winning it all. The Pats have good bones, but they'd need to add a few big weapons on offense (and improve the D a bit more) before anyone would call them "a QB away" from winning a Super Bowl. Vegas is closer (and Josh McDaniels is there). San Francisco is undoubtedly there (and that's his hometown). Miami's almost there. Sean Payton could get a job and lure Brady too. But no way he comes back to New England for anything other than a 1-day deal to "retire a Patriot" (and I even doubt that).
Yeah, assuming he still wants to play, I am not sure how much longer Brady can play at such a high level, despite his austere, some say fanatical diet and exercise routine. At some point, he'll be too old to perform well enough. I will say that given that Brady's greatness doesn't stem from speed and athleticism - running for first downs on broken (or planned) plays, or eluding rushers by scrambling to keep plays alive and throwing on the run - that's not him, it's never been him... and as he gets older, I think that *might* be an advantage versus someone who excels for those reasons. Brady's great value to his team comes with being cool under pressure, unyielding with his will to win no matter the score, accurate with his throws, quickly and correctly identifying what the defense is doing and creatively calling plays to defeat it, giving great leadership for his team-mates... and those things, don't require someone to be in peak physical condition. :-) So he may continue to surprise us for awhile. I hope so.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:11 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I will say though, that the thought of Tom doing one more season with the Patriots would bring me back.
No thanks. He's the GOAT, but he is clearly in decline. No need for a nostalgia tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts