Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 04:26 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Because Amazon sucks, browsing is fun, and there are tons of places out there where you can pay someone $3 for the same thing you can find on Amazon for $15 (or not find on Amazon at all).
Fully agreed.

Over dependence on Amazon hurts City-Data users in a place so many of us value. Our wallets.

Heck even eBay is better for a ton of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 05:08 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Sometimes it's good to have physical media in case a service removes it. In an interview the president of Troma said he has a love hate relationship with netflix. Basically when there were video stores they simply put movies in categories (as in one) and then let it be. Now algorithms pretty much set everything. One keyword? amazon has seven and google might be 75. It doesn't matter if it's netflix, google, amazon etc. If it allows you to search it's a search engine. Now what you see and what order you see it in is *HIGHLY* debatable. I'll add social media on this as well.

It's possible for arts to make more money on physical mediums. Streaming doesn't make as much as you are automatically competing with their default promoted product. Amazon has it's own studios as does Apple, Google (remember they own Youtube), Disney owns ABC etc.

There was a time when people read the same books, listened to the same music and watched the same movies etc. Local areas mattered. Now those walls are gone and it's good and bad. When we had a handful of tv stations and radio you could bet you probably watched or heard something that someone else did in the past week. Now that's long over. Now it's like Marc Maron said years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekY6tpvJVic

I own a blu ray as a backup in case the internet is out (I also have a cat 5 incase wifi is out). I've found some rare content here and there. Some people do like things retro to a point. Retro gaming is big. Emulation can be fine but there can be a push to bring back things that were simplier. It took maybe 15 seconds to start up a game of tecmo bowl back in the day. Now madden is what..10 minutes....

Old 11-23-2021, 08:21 AM

4,626 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Joe's Records in Worcester. Main St next to Mechanics Hall.

and throwing a little wider net:
Analog Underground and Armageddon Shop on Broadway in Providence on Federal Hill
Round Again Records and Olympic Records on Wickenden in Providence in Fox Point
Vinyl Guru in Newport - he's kinda expensive though

Old 11-23-2021, 08:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Joe's Records in Worcester. Main St next to Mechanics Hall.

and throwing a little wider net:
Analog Underground and Armageddon Shop on Broadway in Providence on Federal Hill
Round Again Records and Olympic Records on Wickenden in Providence in Fox Point
Vinyl Guru in Newport - he's kinda expensive though
Vinyl Guru is very expensive, yes.

I still think my go to in PVD is Music Research Library, though.

Never found anything decent on the Wickendon places, personally.

Old 11-23-2021, 10:46 AM

Sometimes I find places of geekdom like comic book stores sometimes carry music. So don't forget about Newbury Comics and New England Comics

Old 11-23-2021, 08:51 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I still think my go to in PVD is Music Research Library, though.
Music Research Library is legit. Went there for the first time this Spring.

Also - no one has mentioned Cheapo Records in Cambridge yet so tossing that recommendation out there.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:45 AM

I found a study of ma and that place is like Salvation Army and Goodwill. If a local recycling center has a swap shop sometimes they found there as well. Of course you could always go to large flea markets in Raynham and Brimfield Fair.

Some of its concept can also be called found-footage. One of the weirdest things I found for a record he was a compilation of poetry from Yale University. If you want to start talking about retro-gaming there's many place is all across the state if not country that sell older video games. Just keep in mind that connections are not always the simplest. If you've got a game system before 1985 it's going to be significantly harder to have a connection because most of that was aref. They can be wired for composite and component and maybe yes video but it depends. Light gun games generally do not work on flat screen TVs

Old 11-25-2021, 11:14 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Speaking of physical media, where does one go if they want to acquire some good-sounding cables and room-tuning crystals?

Old 11-25-2021, 12:08 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Speaking of physical media, where does one go if they want to acquire some good-sounding cables and room-tuning crystals?
I'd just order some shakti stones or a clever little clock and call it a day.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:55 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Vault is the best of them. Nothing high end, nothing new... but he doesn't put out beat records and the guy who owns it is right out of the comic guy in the Simpsons, but he's nice.
Thanks for the tip; I checked it out Friday morning. Not a huge selection but I managed to walk out of there with 14 albums (and I have to go back for one more I thought I had already).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts