Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 03:31 PM

577 posts, read 568,943 times

Advertisements

Christmas time means pierogi for our family. While my father used to make them, I don't have the time or energy to do so.

Our go to brand for bought pierogi is Aunt Millies, which you can find in some of the super markets in Worcester, But lately they have been really inconsistent in carrying them, so I may need to make a tip this weekend out west to pick some up.

So, if I am going to make that trip, I am curious as to what other pierogi makers people enjoy? The Polish markets here carry Pierogi Queen, but everyone in our family pretty much doesn't like them, either the filling or the dough.

Which brand do you like (I prefer fresh if i can over frozen, btw)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 12:08 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
About 3 years ago, I discovered Jaju Pierogi at a winter's farmer's market. At the time, it was a small business run by two sisters (at least one of whom was a middle school teacher) who fried up pierogis on the weekends at farmer's markets and breweries accompanied by a cooler stocked with frozen bags for sale. During the pandemic, they took to delivering "Polish meal kits" even all the way out in Marlborough, filled with pierogi, kielbasa, saurkraut, and sour cream. And, because their product is so gosh darn good, they've managed to get distribution in grocery stores all across the Northeast. I've gotten my brother in Maine and my partner's family and friends in upstate NY hooked now that they can pick up bags in their grocery stores.

You can buy them in the frozen section in many Hanafords, Big Ys, and Roche Bros, as well as in many independent shops throughout central Mass. I can even get both the potato and cheese and spinach and feta versions at my local Alltown Fresh gas station convenience store (aka the "fancy convenience store" as its known in my house). You could even pick them up at their grandfather's original store (now owned by family), Waniewski Farm, outside of Springfield. Check their website for locations: https://www.jajupierogi.com/find-a-store

You can also order from their website for pickup at one of their events. It looks like what might be their last event before Christmas is as Redemption Rock in Worcester this weekend. If you want to pick up, you need to preorder by Thursday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXdtlFyuhSU/

I promise they don't pay me to promote them! I'm just so happy that I stumbled on them at a farmer's market, got chatting with the owners about their story (their grandfather owned a Polish shop in Western Mass), and got totally hooked on their product. I'd guess the sisters are in their late 20s/early 30s and have gone from a side hustle on top of full time jobs to employing a handful of full time staff members and shipping to distributors in half a dozen states. While not fresh, I would put them up against any of the "fresh" stuff at the grocery store, including the pricey "fresh" pierogis I used to get at Whole Foods. I put fresh in parenthesis because there's more preservatives and "junk" in them than in the frozen pierogis!

Don't tell my grandmother, but they're even better than hers.

Old 12-15-2021, 05:26 AM

12,381 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
About 3 years ago, I discovered Jaju Pierogi at a winter's farmer's market. At the time, it was a small business run by two sisters (at least one of whom was a middle school teacher) who fried up pierogis on the weekends at farmer's markets and breweries accompanied by a cooler stocked with frozen bags for sale. During the pandemic, they took to delivering "Polish meal kits" even all the way out in Marlborough, filled with pierogi, kielbasa, saurkraut, and sour cream. And, because their product is so gosh darn good, they've managed to get distribution in grocery stores all across the Northeast. I've gotten my brother in Maine and my partner's family and friends in upstate NY hooked now that they can pick up bags in their grocery stores.

You can buy them in the frozen section in many Hanafords, Big Ys, and Roche Bros, as well as in many independent shops throughout central Mass. I can even get both the potato and cheese and spinach and feta versions at my local Alltown Fresh gas station convenience store (aka the "fancy convenience store" as its known in my house). You could even pick them up at their grandfather's original store (now owned by family), Waniewski Farm, outside of Springfield. Check their website for locations: https://www.jajupierogi.com/find-a-store

You can also order from their website for pickup at one of their events. It looks like what might be their last event before Christmas is as Redemption Rock in Worcester this weekend. If you want to pick up, you need to preorder by Thursday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXdtlFyuhSU/

I promise they don't pay me to promote them! I'm just so happy that I stumbled on them at a farmer's market, got chatting with the owners about their story (their grandfather owned a Polish shop in Western Mass), and got totally hooked on their product. I'd guess the sisters are in their late 20s/early 30s and have gone from a side hustle on top of full time jobs to employing a handful of full time staff members and shipping to distributors in half a dozen states. While not fresh, I would put them up against any of the "fresh" stuff at the grocery store, including the pricey "fresh" pierogis I used to get at Whole Foods. I put fresh in parenthesis because there's more preservatives and "junk" in them than in the frozen pierogis!

Thanks for posting, I haven't seen these in the supermarkets here, but a number of smaller stores around Newburyport sell them, and I think I want to try those cabbage and mushroom ones!

Old 12-15-2021, 07:43 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:

Not a pierogi fan in particular, but as a vegetarian these flavors look tremendous! SO likes pierogi so I will go look for them!

Old 12-15-2021, 07:53 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:

How would you rate their kielbasa?

Old 12-15-2021, 08:26 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
Quote:

I just checked and see that they sell them at my local food co-op. I'm going to look for them, the next time I'm there! Thanks very much for this endorsement.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:41 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:

They're excellent. They frequently do pop ups at local breweries. They're definitely not the cheapest, but they're excellent.

In Southeastern MA, Patty's Pierogi in Fall River is still very good, but definitely out of the way for someone in Central/Western MA. Jaju from the grocery store would probably be my choice.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:48 AM

577 posts, read 568,943 times
Definitely some interesting combinations there.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:16 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Jaju Pierogi is good

Old 12-15-2021, 10:37 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,469,057 times
Quote:

I was just in Maker To Main https://www.makertomain.com/ in Worcester this morning. I noticed that they carry Jaju pierogi amongst many other lovely things.

I have bought pierogi from Golemo in Worcester and didn't think it was that queen brand. I wish I could remember excatly what brand it was but I am pretty sure it was made in Brooklyn. I could be mistaken though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts