Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 01:02 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,517 times

Advertisements

Agreed with Timberline that downtown Brattleboro has not fared well during Covid nor since storm Irene. Neat that OP got married there! Very lovely place! Also agreed with goldenage that property taxes in Greenfield are a concern being among the highest residential rates in MA. Easy to find semi-rural and truly rural vibes in literally any surrounding towns (eg Shelburne, Leyden, Gill, Guilford / Vernon & Dummerston VT, etc) and even within the municipal outer edges of Greenfield or Bratt.

Out of all the places mentioned, Keene has the most “urban” feel to its downtown but again all towns surrounding it are pretty rural though a bit more dictator-oriented (i.e. MAGA) than Western MA and southern VT. About an hour and change to Northampton from there if that proximity is a consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 01:20 PM

142 posts, read 243,438 times
How about Belchertown? Close to some of the other towns in the area. Looks like there are some homes in the 200,000-300,000 range.

Old 12-24-2021, 03:00 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
I see two things happening in the area and it depends.

1) prices will keep going up. Basically the graduates have telecommuting jobs and didn't move out. But students keep coming adding to demand.

2) in four years this slows and does in every college town. The deficit of employees right now is six million. Four of which is the lack of immigration due to the prior president. In 2008 the birthrate dropped and kept dropping. 2026 is the year to look for.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/derekne...h=696975746aaf

So I'd recommend Springfield for lower prices or waiting 4-5 years. Otherwise it might be automatic negative equity. Maybe try Indian Orchard or Chicopee

Brattleboro is nice but there have been significant losses even prevovid. The wheatstone brewery is fantastic

Old 12-24-2021, 04:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darap View Post
Love the idea of being in a small town or village. At this point, I think we'd be more inclined to be in a semi rural area than in an urban area. Are there any specific towns that you'd recommend checking out?

It's all very much just how things strike you. Most of the little towns in western MA have their own individual charm, but away from larger places, employment is marginal and except for outsiders moving in with their own money, population has dropped. My favorite places are Chester and Conway, but I'm sure you could find an attractive place in many of the towns. Perhaps you could visit and talk to a real estate agent.

Old 12-24-2021, 04:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldcollegealum View Post
How about Belchertown? Close to some of the other towns in the area. Looks like there are some homes in the 200,000-300,000 range.
Belchertown might be a very good idea! The OP didn't really want trendy or nightclubs, they wanted access to a few neat things like coffee shops when needed, and they wanted a village feel. Belchertown has grown since I've been there but I'm pretty sure there's still a shopping area with library, police, fire station all in the center. They used to have a popular fair that everyone went to.

It's 45 mins from Northampton but a hop, skip, and a jump from South Hadley with bookstore, coffee shop, arts, academia scene. Prices seem to be affordable, probably because it's a little bit off the beaten path, but it's a town with a very large land area with woods, meadows, wildlife, hiking. Nothing snobby about Belchertown and they said they did not want snobby. Just down to earth.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...Belchertown_MA

Old 12-24-2021, 05:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,774 times
And Belchertown is near to that delightful area around the Quabbin reservoir! How happy we should all be that it was established! (Just a little amusement from another thread.)

Old 12-24-2021, 07:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
And Belchertown is near to that delightful area around the Quabbin reservoir! How happy we should all be that it was established! (Just a little amusement from another thread.)
True, so true, lol.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:57 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hadley and Northampton are "the" places to be, especially if you were younger and looking for an alternative lifestyle. The whole Northampton area is great but be prepared for very progressive politics in Northampton.

Nearby is Easthampton, a formerly run down manufacturing town that's come up in the world and has absorbed a lot of people who were priced out of Northampton (and also some who were finding Northampton to be too extreme in some ways).

For a truly gorgeous semi rural town from which you can have access to Northampton, there is Southampton. It has a slower but more elegant vibe to it. Prices have risen lately as it seems to have been discovered and lovely retirement condos have been built.

For a more sedate, even intellectual vibe, there's South Hadley, home of Mt Holyoke College. It has a legendary bookstore and is certain to offer the coffeeshop option. You wouldn't be that close to Northampton, but it's not that far either.

To the south, in Hamden Cty, you could look at Westfield or East Long meadow.

Westfield is on the Mass Pike so it would be easy to get to Worcester. Not much around there but it has a downtown and a nice park. Very reasonable prices.

East Longmeadow is a pretty, family oriented suburb that you might also want to consider.

Stay away from its neighbor, Longmeadow, which is all about the school system, social status, money. Boring place too.

That's all I can think of for now. Yes, Amherst is pricey and mostly you're either a professor or a student. The huge number of students is a big problem as they drink, party, and get out of control.
This is excellent info, and I will add that there is a rock climbing gym in Hadley, just a couple of minutes over the Northampton border: Central Rock Gym.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:49 PM

9 posts, read 10,918 times
For artsy, mountain hiking and quaint little villages/downtowns (I think OP mentioned all 3 of those), I would recommend looking into the Berkshires as well. If you stay closer to the pike, you can get to Worcester in reasonable time. From north county, I think you might be pushing over 2 hours.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:43 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
The housing stock quality in the $200k to $300k range is going to be a real shock to someone moving from metro Phoenix. I set a Zillow filter on $350k and scrolled around the Pioneer Valley. I didn’t see much in that price range that wasn’t a big remodeling project. With materials cost, poor availability, and the construction labor shortage, I don’t think I’d want to take that on in 2022.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts