Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 09:50 PM

16 posts, read 58,298 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (he in his 50s and I in my 40s) are looking to relocate to NE from Phoenix, AZ in the next year or two. We are weary of large city living and want to be closer to family on the east coast. We've both lived in colder climates (PA, OH, and UT) with snow and cold winters, so we know what we're in for as far as that is concerned.

We'd like to be near a small to mid-sized city or town, with easy access to the outdoors - local trails for walking and hiking, and places to go camping or do outdoor day-trips within a couple hours. We have family in Worcester and we'd like to be within ~1 to 2 hr drive. We don't have kids so are not concerned about schools. My husband is a veterinarian and would need to be at least within commuting distance (~30 to 45 mins) from a city/town for work. I work from home, so location for my work is not important but it would be great to have a rock climbing gym not too far away. We're not into nightlife or bars, but proximity to a decent coffee shop or two and a few good restaurants would be nice (we're both vegetarian).

Looking for quiet, safe, relatively liberal communities in Western Mass where we could find a modest home in the $200k to $300k range. Amherst seems a bit pricy for our budget and a friend recommended considering Hadley and Northampton, so those are on our radar. Hoping to do some exploring when I visit in spring 2022 and would appreciate some suggestions.

Last edited by darap; 12-23-2021 at 10:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 11:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Hadley and Northampton are "the" places to be, especially if you were younger and looking for an alternative lifestyle. The whole Northampton area is great but be prepared for very progressive politics in Northampton.

Nearby is Easthampton, a formerly run down manufacturing town that's come up in the world and has absorbed a lot of people who were priced out of Northampton (and also some who were finding Northampton to be too extreme in some ways).

For a truly gorgeous semi rural town from which you can have access to Northampton, there is Southampton. It has a slower but more elegant vibe to it. Prices have risen lately as it seems to have been discovered and lovely retirement condos have been built.

For a more sedate, even intellectual vibe, there's South Hadley, home of Mt Holyoke College. It has a legendary bookstore and is certain to offer the coffeeshop option. You wouldn't be that close to Northampton, but it's not that far either.

To the south, in Hamden Cty, you could look at Westfield or East Long meadow.

Westfield is on the Mass Pike so it would be easy to get to Worcester. Not much around there but it has a downtown and a nice park. Very reasonable prices.

East Longmeadow is a pretty, family oriented suburb that you might also want to consider.

Stay away from its neighbor, Longmeadow, which is all about the school system, social status, money. Boring place too.

That's all I can think of for now. Yes, Amherst is pricey and mostly you're either a professor or a student. The huge number of students is a big problem as they drink, party, and get out of control.

Old 12-24-2021, 08:16 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,414,137 times
If you like the idea of being in a small town (village, really) there are plenty of choices up in the hills both east and west of the Connecticut River, or farther away into the central or western parts of the state. You could still be within commuting distance of some larger town, and the housing would be cheaper. It depends mostly on whether you want to be urban or rural.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:12 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,013 times
I would consider Keene, NH. It checks a lot of the boxes you have mentioned.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:40 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,679 times
Check out Greenfield and Turners Falls / Montague, another very liveable area full of folks priced out of Amherst and Northampton but only 25 minutes away. Shelburne Falls is also quaint and supremely pretty though more touristy and isolated. $200-$300k still buys a decent home in the area, which locally has an overplayed (but based in some aspects of reality) reputation for drugs and poverty but that keeps it affordable and the snobbiest folks away. Low key arts community brings just enough creative and musical events to the area.

Keene NH is another solid recommendation, or Brattleboro VT.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:17 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
I'd suggest Ware, Palmer and Munson which are not trendy, so the prices are lower. There are some older Cape Cods and bungalows in your price range. Check out the tax rates carefully, as they vary by town. (BTW, Greenfield has higher taxes, or I would second that recommendation.)

Old 12-24-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hadley and Northampton are "the" places to be, especially if you were younger and looking for an alternative lifestyle. The whole Northampton area is great but be prepared for very progressive politics in Northampton.

Nearby is Easthampton, a formerly run down manufacturing town that's come up in the world and has absorbed a lot of people who were priced out of Northampton (and also some who were finding Northampton to be too extreme in some ways).

For a truly gorgeous semi rural town from which you can have access to Northampton, there is Southampton. It has a slower but more elegant vibe to it. Prices have risen lately as it seems to have been discovered and lovely retirement condos have been built.

For a more sedate, even intellectual vibe, there's South Hadley, home of Mt Holyoke College. It has a legendary bookstore and is certain to offer the coffeeshop option. You wouldn't be that close to Northampton, but it's not that far either.

To the south, in Hamden Cty, you could look at Westfield or East Long meadow.

Westfield is on the Mass Pike so it would be easy to get to Worcester. Not much around there but it has a downtown and a nice park. Very reasonable prices.

East Longmeadow is a pretty, family oriented suburb that you might also want to consider.

Stay away from its neighbor, Longmeadow, which is all about the school system, social status, money. Boring place too.

That's all I can think of for now. Yes, Amherst is pricey and mostly you're either a professor or a student. The huge number of students is a big problem as they drink, party, and get out of control.
Thanks so much for these detailed suggestions. Sounds like Hadley and Northampton might not be the right spot for us - we definitely don't have a need to be in "the place to be" anymore. But somewhere nearby that's a bit more chill sounds like it would be a good option. I'll add these locations to my list of places to research.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
If you like the idea of being in a small town (village, really) there are plenty of choices up in the hills both east and west of the Connecticut River, or farther away into the central or western parts of the state. You could still be within commuting distance of some larger town, and the housing would be cheaper. It depends mostly on whether you want to be urban or rural.
Love the idea of being in a small town or village. At this point, I think we'd be more inclined to be in a semi rural area than in an urban area. Are there any specific towns that you'd recommend checking out?

Old 12-24-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Check out Greenfield and Turners Falls / Montague, another very liveable area full of folks priced out of Amherst and Northampton but only 25 minutes away. Shelburne Falls is also quaint and supremely pretty though more touristy and isolated. $200-$300k still buys a decent home in the area, which locally has an overplayed (but based in some aspects of reality) reputation for drugs and poverty but that keeps it affordable and the snobbiest folks away. Low key arts community brings just enough creative and musical events to the area.

Keene NH is another solid recommendation, or Brattleboro VT.
Brattleboro is one of my favorite places! I've visited a couple times - we actually got married there years ago. It's certainly on the list to consider. Wasn't sure it would be within our budget but was pleasantly surprised.

I'll check out the other places you mentioned. We're not interested in being in a snobby/fancy or trendy area. We're looking for a place with more down to earth folks. And a low key arts community would be wonderful!

Old 12-24-2021, 11:53 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
I haven't been since Covid, but it never felt to me that Brattleboro recovered fully intact since the hurricane. Lots of businesses closed, and the alt vibe felt tempered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts