Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 07:20 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times

Advertisements

Yeah I just read the CES in Vegas is down 75%. I always wanted to go although after going to a few trade shows I can see them as being tiring. After awhile I think most tech companies just didn't want an olympics style spending so they just have a large press conference.

Reminds me of the three largest events in the world are the Olympics, World's Fair and World Cup. Worlds fair is now expo and back inthe day was something to see. Anyone think the world cup is still on? Olympics is supposed to start again in four weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 07:30 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
We've had trouble booking nights away and such due to availability. Everything in prime areas is booked solid. Even places like going up to NH or VT are booked. Restaurants require reservations, but i think that's mostly due to staffing issues. I've eaten out at quite a few places where entire rooms are kept empty so, while they are busy, they are not at 100% capacity.

I'm sure major restaurants are back 100%. I got take-out from a popular restaurant on Sat night and couldn't find a parking space in the lot let alone get in the building to get my order. People everywhere.

We started booking summer vacations and everything is booking up now. Covid has affected people disproportionately is all I will say to that.

We have not yet been allowed to resume non-essential business travel just yet.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:53 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you’re relying on business travel, you’re sucking wind. The convention business vaporized. Sales calls are Zoom. Leisure travel is busier than ever. In my area of interest, I see photos all the time of ridiculously long lift lines at ski resorts on weekends and holidays.
I think you're right re the conference business. Certain small research conferences, like the Gordon Conferences have extensive discussions both inside and outside the formal sessions among a relatively small group of people, maybe 100 or so, who are together for a week - all those in-person interactions among experts can be highly valuable.

But if it's a typical big conference with thousands of people, it's arguably more effective to attend virtual sessions remotely, plus it's cheaper and more efficient without the travel. Some virtual conferences also make recorded sessions available for viewing or reviewing at another time of your choosing, which is also very helpful. I can certainly see that if this becomes the new normal, it's a big problem for convention centers and hotels that have supported and relied on the traditional model of huge physical gatherings of people. Not a small number of jobs at stake.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-10-2022 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-10-2022, 08:27 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We've had trouble booking nights away and such due to availability. Everything in prime areas is booked solid. Even places like going up to NH or VT are booked. Restaurants require reservations, but i think that's mostly due to staffing issues. I've eaten out at quite a few places where entire rooms are kept empty so, while they are busy, they are not at 100% capacity.

I'm sure major restaurants are back 100%. I got take-out from a popular restaurant on Sat night and couldn't find a parking space in the lot let alone get in the building to get my order. People everywhere.
I think the staffing issue right now is far and away the bigger problem for restaurants. I follow a bunch on social media that have reduced hours/days due to staffing shortages. Positive COVID tests for staff are an even bigger hurdle. Several that I follow shut down for some or all of the holidays between the staffing shortages and the surge in positive tests.

I do think demand is definitely back to where it was (if not greater) prior to the pandemic. It's hard to get into a lot of places and they're generally full if you do. Like you said, we've gone to a few that have closed of sections with lengthy waits. But that's largely a staffing issue it seems.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think the staffing issue right now is far and away the bigger problem for restaurants. I follow a bunch on social media that have reduced hours/days due to staffing shortages. Positive COVID tests for staff are an even bigger hurdle. Several that I follow shut down for some or all of the holidays between the staffing shortages and the surge in positive tests.

I do think demand is definitely back to where it was (if not greater) prior to the pandemic. It's hard to get into a lot of places and they're generally full if you do. Like you said, we've gone to a few that have closed of sections with lengthy waits. But that's largely a staffing issue it seems.
Exactly. Friends have also closed up shop for a few days or a week not only because of sick staff, but because they remaining staff have been pulling double shifts for weeks straight.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:51 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Restaurants are back and it seems like they've been back for a while.

Travel is down for business still which I would imagine is really affecting airlines and hotels. There's no way people vacationing is making up for that. I think business travel could be done...not completely but people have realized they dont have to do it the way they once did.

I think people are vacationing but it's not back to what it was before. If people are having trouble booking anything it's likely due to staffing...not too many people going away.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:55 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Restaurants are back and it seems like they've been back for a while.

Travel is down for business still which I would imagine is really affecting airlines and hotels. There's no way people vacationing is making up for that. I think business travel could be done...not completely but people have realized they dont have to do it the way they once did.

I think people are vacationing but it's not back to what it was before. If people are having trouble booking anything it's likely due to staffing...not too many people going away.
Leisure travel has closed some of the gap as people are spending more on travel than they did pre-pandemic. People who used to rarely book premium seem to be doing it regularly for the extra space/privacy. Even private charter jets are flying up (no pun intended) in popularity.

I've been looking at seat maps to Maui where the economy cabin is wide open but the business class cabin is already either fully booked or down to 1-2 seats. Rooms that used to be $600-700/night are now $1400-$2000/night, if they have any availability at all.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:27 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default er

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Leisure travel has closed some of the gap as people are spending more on travel than they did pre-pandemic. People who used to rarely book premium seem to be doing it regularly for the extra space/privacy. Even private charter jets are flying up (no pun intended) in popularity.

I've been looking at seat maps to Maui where the economy cabin is wide open but the business class cabin is already either fully booked or down to 1-2 seats. Rooms that used to be $600-700/night are now $1400-$2000/night, if they have any availability at all.
I'm guessing people are splurging if they hadn't travelled in a while? Maybe they feel safer in business class or first class vs coach. not sure really.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I think lots of people that would be travelling internationally are going domestic which is just packing domestic destinations

Old 01-10-2022, 11:33 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Yeah I just read the CES in Vegas is down 75%. I always wanted to go although after going to a few trade shows I can see them as being tiring. After awhile I think most tech companies just didn't want an olympics style spending so they just have a large press conference.

Reminds me of the three largest events in the world are the Olympics, World's Fair and World Cup. Worlds fair is now expo and back inthe day was something to see. Anyone think the world cup is still on? Olympics is supposed to start again in four weeks.
I'm scheduled to be working a trade show next month in Orlando. My understanding is that registrations are down about 50% over a normal year and the show will go on. The exhibition company isn't giving any refunds if a company decides to pull out. Our booth will have limited company personnel in the booth at any given time - only 10 or so compared to 20-25 normally.

I think the Olympics will be a go. China has said no spectators and I presume they will be testing heavily to send a message that they take this seriously.

I believe that the World Cup will go on as well. Qatar has already announced only vaccinated fans will be allowed into the venues. They are also acquiring 1 million vaccines to administer to those who have not yet done so in their home countries. FIFA has already said that matches will have full stadiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts