Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 11:39 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think lots of people that would be travelling internationally are going domestic which is just packing domestic destinations
There's some of that too I bet.

Another factor is the type of trip. Destinations that are outdoor-oriented and private/spaced seem more popular. I can find rooms left and right for standard rooms in resort towers, but if you want a private villa or bungalow, they're 2-3x the price they were 2-3 years ago, if you can find them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 11:42 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
There's some of that too I bet.

Another factor is the type of trip. Destinations that are outdoor-oriented and private/spaced seem more popular. I can find rooms left and right for standard rooms in resort towers, but if you want a private villa or bungalow, they're 2-3x the price they were 2-3 years ago, if you can find them at all.
Camgrounds are tough too now.

I booked some for FL for the spring, and had to move my target dates a few times.

For better or worse, some of the National Park campgrounds there, like the Everglades, are first come/first serve, so I need back up plans.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:46 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Leisure travel has closed some of the gap as people are spending more on travel than they did pre-pandemic. People who used to rarely book premium seem to be doing it regularly for the extra space/privacy. Even private charter jets are flying up (no pun intended) in popularity.

I've been looking at seat maps to Maui where the economy cabin is wide open but the business class cabin is already either fully booked or down to 1-2 seats. Rooms that used to be $600-700/night are now $1400-$2000/night, if they have any availability at all.
I'm curious as to how many people are using accumulated miles to book upgrades to premium cabins for leisure travel? Many of us spent the last nearly 2 years racking up miles and now that we're traveling again, we're using them. I have a glut of upgrades and companion tickets that I've started to burn through. Without business travel really happening, it seems that upgrading to business/first with miles is a relative bargain (at least on the routes I've been flying). I flew BOS-MIA-BOS just before Thanksgiving and upgrades us both to "first" (business) for 10k miles (2,500 each person each way) RT. A no brainer since AA has been using 777 with their internationally configured business class 1x daily on that route and I actively sought it out for both directions. I've also found that upgrade lists are a lot shorter on most of my recent flights, so scoring an upgrade seems a whole lot easier even with the lowest status levels. Cash fares even seem cheaper for premium cabin seats.

I would guess that when business travel starts to return, you'll see less availability for most leisure travelers's budgets. I have a hard time remembering it ever being this easy to fly in the premium cabins without shelling out a lot more cash/points.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:56 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think lots of people that would be travelling internationally are going domestic which is just packing domestic destinations
I've seen that quite a bit. I've gone down south three times so far and it's packed. On the negative staff isn't cleaning rooms as often. I found a receipt of a restaurant dated three days before I came in

Old 01-10-2022, 12:04 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm curious as to how many people are using accumulated miles to book upgrades to premium cabins for leisure travel? Many of us spent the last nearly 2 years racking up miles and now that we're traveling again, we're using them. I have a glut of upgrades and companion tickets that I've started to burn through. Without business travel really happening, it seems that upgrading to business/first with miles is a relative bargain (at least on the routes I've been flying). I flew BOS-MIA-BOS just before Thanksgiving and upgrades us both to "first" (business) for 10k miles (2,500 each person each way) RT. A no brainer since AA has been using 777 with their internationally configured business class 1x daily on that route and I actively sought it out for both directions. I've also found that upgrade lists are a lot shorter on most of my recent flights, so scoring an upgrade seems a whole lot easier even with the lowest status levels. Cash fares even seem cheaper for premium cabin seats.

I would guess that when business travel starts to return, you'll see less availability for most leisure travelers's budgets. I have a hard time remembering it ever being this easy to fly in the premium cabins without shelling out a lot more cash/points.
I wonder this about hotel rooms and points more than airfare. As inventory drops, the price to use miles goes up. Dropping 10k to upgrade to MIA is a far cry from dropping 200k for J to HNL or OGG, though I suppose it’s possible some just don’t care about valuation and spent whatever it took. That same HNL/OGG route was 40-80k miles for J pre-pandemic.

I’m still sitting on my pile of miles, saving them for transoceanic business where the cost is rarely lower than ~$4000. That is, I can’t see blowing the same amount of miles on a flight that’s temporarily overpriced due to demand when I can use them on flights that are always expensive.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:26 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Speaking of miles, I need to do something with the jillion miles I have with American. I’m pretty sure they expire at the end of March if I don’t show some activity in the program.

Edited: April 11

Old 01-11-2022, 08:38 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Speaking of miles, I need to do something with the jillion miles I have with American. I’m pretty sure they expire at the end of March if I don’t show some activity in the program.

Use the AAdvantage shopping portal for your next online purchase. Or link your card to AAdvantage Dining and get takeout from a participating restaurant. Either of those will push the expiration out another year.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:42 AM

958 posts, read 530,986 times
We just returned from a cruise. #5 since restart.
Even with all pressure CDC applied to cruise industry and draconian conditions they are trying their best.
People returned, but with Omicron more cancellations came (more people test positive or just scared).

Cruises in my observation is the safest place to be right now outside of own home.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:45 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Easy fix.

Next time you need to make a small purchase, go through here. All it takes is one mile to reset your clock.

https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/

Already done it once, just short of a year after they first extended the miles during Covid.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:51 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
We just returned from a cruise. #5 since restart.
Even with all pressure CDC applied to cruise industry and draconian conditions they are trying their best.
People returned, but with Omicron more cancellations came (more people test positive or just scared).

Cruises in my observation is the safest place to be right now outside of own home.
Are they operating at full capacity? I've been wanting to do a cruise for some time now. Doing it with the possibility of reduced number of passengers would be a win to me (I hate crowds)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts