Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 03:02 PM

700 posts, read 447,234 times

Advertisements

Did you move back to the general area you left? I'm thinking of those who moved away for more than a decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 03:31 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
I lived in Brighton and Somerville in what I call my first tour of duty. I worked in Boston then. I went to Florida for 15 years and moved back to MA in 2018. I'm in Metro West now. I had worked on the South Shore when I first returned and now work from home.

Last edited by CrowGirl; 01-30-2022 at 03:49 PM..

Old 01-30-2022, 05:59 PM

100 posts, read 80,246 times
I’m back in MA in a new area. Grew up in Spfld, school in metro west, first job lived in Cambridge. Lived in Los Angeles for 15 years. Aimed to come back to suburban metro west, and the market pushed us practically to Worcester (Westborough). Central MA is new to us.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:59 AM

840 posts, read 761,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckbetween View Post
I’m back in MA in a new area. Grew up in Spfld, school in metro west, first job lived in Cambridge. Lived in Los Angeles for 15 years. Aimed to come back to suburban metro west, and the market pushed us practically to Worcester (Westborough). Central MA is new to us.
How do you like it there?

Old 01-31-2022, 09:00 AM

840 posts, read 761,598 times
I grew up in MA (North Shore) and have lived in Pacific Northwest for many many years but want to come back to MA. I miss the area.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:45 AM

7 posts, read 4,309 times
Not a decade but...I lived in the Boston area for high school, left for college, and returned for grad school. I stayed for 15 years then moved to Philly for 6 years. I moved to the Worcester area 3 years ago.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:48 AM

640 posts, read 450,572 times
OP, you might want to refine your question. As someone living in MA now, I'd like to know WHY people came back.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:52 AM

700 posts, read 447,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
OP, you might want to refine your question. As someone living in MA now, I'd like to know WHY people came back.
You can certainly add your perspective to the thread.

I moved away for work, and also wanderlust.

I only sort of miss it, but as I get to the age when retirement/empty nest is no longer a very vague concept I start to wonder if I would like to move back (as opposed to somewhere else).

The places I'd be drawn to move back to (in MA) are not the places I lived in decades ago. Those hold little appeal anymore. But if I were to move to a different spot in MA I would be away from the last bits of family/friends I do have back there.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:58 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
I left MA (Waltham) right after High School for the US Navy in 1961. I returned in 1965 to Marlboro. In 67 I was divorced and broke. I went to work for a company in MA sent me to various places (as a Field Engineer) for 2 to 3 months at a time (67 to 70) so I lived in a lot of different places for 2 to 3 months at a time such as NYC, LA, England, Spain, Toronto, San Fran, NYC, and in Boston on and off as the company was there. A real gypsy life but they paid for everything which was what I needed at the time.

I remarried in 1970. Got into high tech sales and relocated to Ohio in 1970 then on to Chicago in 1976. I returned to MA (Andover) in 1982. This return was not my choice but my wife and I had both had good jobs offers in Boston so we moved. Wife and I retired to SC in 2002 at age 60.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:08 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
You can certainly add your perspective to the thread.

I moved away for work, and also wanderlust.

I only sort of miss it, but as I get to the age when retirement/empty nest is no longer a very vague concept I start to wonder if I would like to move back (as opposed to somewhere else).

The places I'd be drawn to move back to (in MA) are not the places I lived in decades ago. Those hold little appeal anymore. But if I were to move to a different spot in MA I would be away from the last bits of family/friends I do have back there.
My reasons for moving were similar to yours. I have lived in 6 different states total. In two of those I left and went back, although the first (California) was a little different. At the time I ;opted California and saw myself living there for the rest of my days and moved to a different state for a year for the wanderlust and then ,over back. Of course I DIDN'T end up staying in California for the rest of my life and instead moved to Massachusetts for law school and decided to stay. When I moved to Florida for a job I didn't think I would be gone long - by that time I loved Boston. But I stayed away for 15 years and by that time loved Florida. We moved back for a job and to be closer to family and friends. And I was over the hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts