Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 04:48 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times

Advertisements

DD had small flavorless lumps of dough any where you go. and the coffee is very weak and also flavorless. I drink black no sugar ,heck Brue your own for 20 cents a cup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 07:38 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
DD had small flavorless lumps of dough any where you go. and the coffee is very weak and also flavorless. I drink black no sugar ,heck Brue your own for 20 cents a cup
Dunkin is terrible in all aspects IMO. I do enjoy their ice coffee but I load it up with cream and sugar. So, it's more the cream and sugar that I'm enjoying and not the coffee. Their baked goods get more terrible with every passing year especially the donuts. There is one Dunkin location that still makes their donuts on site and my friend who used to work at Dunkin corporate told me that location does something like 10x business of a typical Dunkin store. I can't remember where it is though, but I want to say Weymouth.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:07 PM

6,130 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Agree. Last week, I showed up to pick up an online order at a DD that was about to close, and they asked me if I wanted to take "as many donuts as I wanted" for free. Never a fan, I exercised moderation and asked for 3 of the chocolate cake donuts, which border on being palatable.

I know this is too far from Acton, but I find Union Square Donuts in Somerville compelling enough to make the drive from Woburn, at least once a month!

Old 02-20-2022, 05:13 PM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Dunkin is terrible in all aspects IMO. I do enjoy their ice coffee but I load it up with cream and sugar. So, it's more the cream and sugar that I'm enjoying and not the coffee. Their baked goods get more terrible with every passing year especially the donuts. There is one Dunkin location that still makes their donuts on site and my friend who used to work at Dunkin corporate told me that location does something like 10x business of a typical Dunkin store. I can't remember where it is though, but I want to say Weymouth.

Yes on Rte. 18 in S. Weymouth, I believe it has a double drive thru.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:12 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Dunks hasn't made decent donuts in well over 30 years.
I can’t find a date stamp but there’s a Globe story that there are still some Dunkin storefronts making donuts on site rather than at the donut factory. There may still be one in Weymouth.

Around here, Dunkin is all factory donuts that are lousy but there are plenty of indie bakeries and donut shops that make their own on site. There’s a Portuguese bakery a mile from my house in a 1960s McDonalds building that does that. Ironically, there’s a Dunkin storefront next to it and the drive through in both places are equally busy. There are half a dozen indie donut shops within 4 or 5 miles. Labor costs are lower. I don’t think the business model for indie donut shops works very well inside 495 because the labor is expensive and tough to retain.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:57 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don’t think the business model for indie donut shops works very well inside 495 because the labor is expensive and tough to retain.
I don't know, there seems to be a growing number of them here. They just charge more - $3.50-4.50 is pretty standard for a doughnut from a local shop in the Boston area, but people are paying it (I'm guilty of this). There are lines out the door at Blackbird in the South End, Kane's downtown shop has shelves of online in-store pickup order bags, Union Square doughnuts has people regularly queued up on the sidewalk, Davis Square Doughnuts sells out of the popular choices early and also has lines out the door on Saturday and Sunday.

The popup seems to be popular too. Lionheart, a one-woman show, was doing incredible business before a dispute with the primary popup location lead to a temporary hiatus (she'll be back soon). Speakeasy doughnuts seems to be everywhere. The popup model saves big time on brick and mortar costs as well as staff.

Down your way, The Baker has some of my favorites. Their weekly specials are awesome, and their "Flaky Doughnuts" (they used to call them "Cronuts" but I'm wondering if there was a copyright issue) are incredible.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:35 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't know, there seems to be a growing number of them here. They just charge more - $3.50-4.50 is pretty standard for a doughnut from a local shop in the Boston area, but people are paying it (I'm guilty of this). There are lines out the door at Blackbird in the South End, Kane's downtown shop has shelves of online in-store pickup order bags, Union Square doughnuts has people regularly queued up on the sidewalk, Davis Square Doughnuts sells out of the popular choices early and also has lines out the door on Saturday and Sunday.

The popup seems to be popular too. Lionheart, a one-woman show, was doing incredible business before a dispute with the primary popup location lead to a temporary hiatus (she'll be back soon). Speakeasy doughnuts seems to be everywhere. The popup model saves big time on brick and mortar costs as well as staff.

Down your way, The Baker has some of my favorites. Their weekly specials are awesome, and their "Flaky Doughnuts" (they used to call them "Cronuts" but I'm wondering if there was a copyright issue) are incredible.
Donuts do seem to be popping up everywhere and their popularity seems to be growing. Just to throw it out there . . . there are also some really good donut spots down in RI like PV Donuts and Knead. They seem to be turning into the new cupcake (remember the cupcake craze a few years back).

Old 02-28-2022, 06:05 AM

6 posts, read 4,208 times
Check out Dolce Amor in Groton @ Mill Run Plaza/ Rt 119. Saturday mornings the owner makes fabulous donuts!! Its our best-kept secret here in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts