Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 10:03 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,507,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
At an elite private school
I did a quick skim. It doesn’t look “elite” to me. It looks like an academically pretty strong boy’s Catholic high school. It isn’t Philips Andover. The SAT scores and college admissions list looks good but not very different from culling the bottom 20% from any of the nearby white collar suburban public high schools. It’s certainly a lot less diverse than most of the professional bedroom town high schools. Google turned up a racial slur thing at a Brockton football game recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 10:10 AM

17,262 posts, read 8,851,755 times
*eyeroll*

On niche Xaverian Bros gets an A+

https://www.niche.com/k12/xaverian-b...l-westwood-ma/

Milton Academy which is a well known elite school also gets an A+ on niche:

https://www.niche.com/k12/milton-academy-milton-ma/

Not sure how much niche should be trusted but Xaverian seems like a good school. All private schools have become more selective over the years.

At the end of the day would it have been more acceptable if a public school like Milton high which has a black superintendent had fried chicken to honor black history month?

Old 02-07-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
*eyeroll*

On niche Xaverian Bros gets an A+

https://www.niche.com/k12/xaverian-b...l-westwood-ma/

Milton Academy which is a well known elite school also gets an A+ on niche:

https://www.niche.com/k12/milton-academy-milton-ma/

Not sure how much niche should be trusted but Xaverian seems like a good school. All private schools have become more selective over the years.

At the end of the day would it have been more acceptable if a public school like Milton high which has a black superintendent had fried chicken to honor black history month?
So how does Turtle Boy Sports rate it? That’s about as valid as Niche.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:02 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,369,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

[..]
Regardless its still a part of Black History. It doesn't have to be SOLELY black history. Very little in America is.
Barbacoa as described by the Spanish is very early. I am talking early XVI century. Before the slave trade became a force that would have been able to change the cuisine of the Americas.
The point of the article as I understand it it's simply that basically there is BBQ also in native Africans, and I don't doubt it since there is probably everywhere

Regardless, since we are talking about 2022 I think we all agree that BBQ is an American dish that it's pretty common with any ethnic group and has various influences from any ethnic group.
I mean, basically any American history is also part of black history like black history is part of American history.

Probably food is never going to be a good choice for this purpose, there just isn't enough of a novelty to it.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:09 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So how does Turtle Boy Sports rate it? That’s about as valid as Niche.
Couldnt tell ya. I went to an ISL school though so I know a thing or two about elite schools

That's the second time you've brought up Turtle boy to me in a thread that has nothing to do with it. You continue to spew your opinions as fact all over this forum.

I happen to like TB because they focus on particular news stories that may not interest everyone but they do tend to dig and get more info about the person/people whether it be someone pretending to be a good person in doing something or a criminal. They also seem to get better videos on situations than the news outlets report. Lately they've been pretty boring to me. It's basically local gossip.

Last edited by msRB311; 02-07-2022 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-07-2022, 11:14 AM

23,961 posts, read 19,191,285 times
Xaverian Brothers average SAT score: 1280

Dartmouth High School average SAT score: 1200

Old 02-07-2022, 11:54 AM

6,352 posts, read 5,266,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You mean like involving an African American cafeteria worker, who CAME UP WITH THE PLAN TO BEGIN WITH?

But wait, if it's not Cajun style then you're leaving out blacks who descended from Louisiana. SHAME SHAME SHAME. I'll also make a note not to serve pasta with marinara on Italian day because that excludes Northern Italians. And FORGET about Caribbean day, wouldn't want jerk chicken served because that spice is so "un-Puerto Rican". Enough with the fun kids, sorry.
I realize that to Whites, other cultures/races look like a monolith. And that's the point, it's a wide spectrum, never a monolith. It's 2022, we should know better.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Xaverian Brothers average SAT score: 1280

Dartmouth High School average SAT score: 1200
That’s higher than I would have guessed for a socioeconomically mixed town.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:25 PM

Dartmouth high gets an A- on niche. I'm not sure why we're comparing dartmouth high to Xaverian?

Old 02-07-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Dartmouth high gets an A- on niche. I'm not sure why we're comparing dartmouth high to Xaverian?
The guy from Maine was flinging it out. I’m just saying that Xaverian Brothers is not an “elite” private high school. Massachusetts has them but Xaverian Brothers is not at that level. It’s a local day school. It fills a need for boys who need more structure and discipline than they’d get in a public school. It’s not like Westwood, Dedham, Needham, etc have lousy high schools. It doesn’t make top-25 lists. That doesn’t make it a bad school but it’s not massively selective like those top private schools and the exam schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts