Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 12:44 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Asians in Lexington, yes.

Asians in Lowell, no.
Or even Boston. I'll go out on a limb and say the Asians rummaging through my recycling looking for cans to sell aren't doing it as a side hustle on top of their daytime doctor or engineering jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 01:07 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I guess we're around different types of Asian people.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:45 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
An open Trump supporter in MA faces less hostility than an open Bernie supporter in OK or AL.
Notwithstanding the word hostility being very vague, I'm not buying this.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:54 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think many people feel some type of discrimination in MA these days based on many different things from Socioeconomic status to what kind of mask they wear to who they vote for.

I am finding it hard to feel empathy for educated rich Asians. I'm aware there are some poor ones around too.

It seems like white people are becoming the minority in the US...The world's largest ethnic group is Han Chinese. How and why are Asians diverse at this point?

It seems like every wants to be a minority when it comes to getting 'accepted' for something and use that to their advantage but if any signs of discrimination are ever shown it's all over the papers.
Sure, diversity can take form in a lot of different ways. The question was "are Asians diverse?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're asking "aren't Asians and Whites the same?"

There are more women on the planet than Han Chinese people. How and why are women diverse at this point?

Old 02-28-2022, 02:01 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I totally understand that certain occupations require some people to be here, and then there are those of us here for family reasons and/or because it's "home". My point is on people with none of those ties to begin with, this place is simply not worth it any way you slice it. And imho it's become less appealing year after year, while at the same time becoming more and more expensive.
Just know that in most any large American city, people who are "from here" are saying the exact same thing you are.

You/this isn't a Boston phenomena.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:02 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Notwithstanding the word hostility being very vague, I'm not buying this.
While it happens quite a bit, one of the more famous examples can be found on the television program Top Gear:

"Prior to entering Alabama, the presenters stopped at the village of Bagdad and were instructed to paint each other's cars with slogans that could lead to them getting shot by the locals. While May gave Hammond's pickup a homosexual appearance and slogans, Hammond painted "Country and Western is Rubbish" on Clarkson's, and Clarkson painted "Hillary for President", "NASCAR sucks" and "I'm bi" on May's car. However, the challenge had to be aborted when the three stopped at a filling station and offended the owner so much, that, in one of Top Gear's most famous moments, the film crew's vans were pelted with rocks by friends of the owner, while May had to get another jump-start before he and Hammond could join Clarkson and the film crew in fleeing from the angered locals. Once the group had lost sight of them, they hastily removed the slogans on their cars and beat a retreat for the state border with Mississippi."

Writing on the side of a car got rocks thrown at them and a pickup truck full of good ol' boys with guns pulling in to the gas station where they were filling up. Makes Schilling's pariah status here look downtime tame.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:09 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times
There are hundreds and hundreds (if not thousands) of documented incidents of violence against Trump supporters in so-called "liberal" (but not really) zones like MA, all over the country. And these incidents didn't occur in the projects (the equivalent of your redneck good old boy example), they happened where supposedly educated and enlightened people live.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:27 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I do not think of women as being diverse. I think in a corporate environment there's more of a push to get women in leadership positions since so many are dominated by men. However i see a lot of women who decide to stay home once they have kids so...we all make our own choices.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:01 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think in a corporate environment there's more of a push to get women in leadership positions since so many are dominated by men. However i see a lot of women who decide to stay home once they have kids so...we all make our own choices.
One sentence has nothing to do with the other.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:20 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
=msRB311;62990937]I guess we're around different types of Asian people.
Asians are the most impoverished group in Boston ( last I check they’re poverty rate was 28-31% compare to 26% for Latinos and 21-23-% for blacks, white son Boston have a poverty rate right around 8%. Asians in Boston a median household income ~$40,000 less than whites. Metro wide they are identical to whites in terms of economic status.

I didn’t feel like it but I can grab the data if there’s any doubts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts