Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 11:46 AM

41 posts, read 22,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I was in Brookline for 10 yrs and moved South 2.5 yrs ago. Commute into the Fenway 2-3x per week. Commuted full time pre-pandemic using the commuter rail and now drive in. I am in Sharon. Commute (driving) is fine on the way in (I leave early) but can be a drag on the way back. Not a big deal for me though, and definitely not a deal breaker. I would scratch Schituate off the list. That place seems to get battered a lot with storms, loses power, etc. And I am more of a woods guy than Ocean (that's just me though).

We also looked at towns on the North and South Shores. In general, I liked the South - seemed to have more open space, wider roads, etc. At least the towns we looked at. I also liked the proximity to Providence. We had 1 dog and 2 cats when we moved. Got another dog about a year ago and are thinking about a third. We've got the land, dog park, and many other things for the pooches.

Whichever area you decide, I would just say that it is worth a 15 minute longer commute to get more of what you want. For example, Quincy is closer in proximity to the City than less dense towns, but not that much closer in actual commute time. Plymouth is an ok suggestion. A bit far but since you are not going in 5x/week, doable.

Best of luck.
Very helpful, thank you. Great to hear about the dogs. Agreed on not getting less house to gain 15 minutes, but somewhere in there is a tipping point. If I knew I'd be maxed out at 2x week, that would change my thinking. Having to do a 90-minute commute each way three times per week would be a killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Are you taking the train? Quincy and the Red Line will get you to South Station much faster than the commuter rail options for the towns further out. You also get more diversity but will be pushing the budget a bit.

Yes on train, definitely not interested in a driving commute. Understood on Quincy and have had the same suspicion. We'll ultimately have to resolve the tension between convenience and comfort. I think hybrid work requirements will evolve into fully remote over the next 5 years, but I can't count on it yet.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
The water view requirement is going to really handicap you here.

I'd be looking more inland on the north (melrose, stoneham, wakefield, reading, etc) before I looked at Dedham

Yes, and it's a minor thing so we are prepared to give it up. How are the non-driving commutes from these towns?

Old 02-24-2022, 11:52 AM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
Beverly checks most of your boxes.

Newburyport would be my # 1 preference but your budget might be tight.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'd take what you liked about Marblehead and try to recreate its aspects in towns better priced. Newburyport?

I like what I've seen from Newburyport but it seems like too far a commute, realistically. The pictures are spectacular, though.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:58 PM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
You could spend just as much time on a Red Line commute from Braintree as you could on a Commuter Rail commute from Newburyport, I'm sure, depending on where exactly in the city you work.

Old 02-24-2022, 01:52 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
You could spend just as much time on a Red Line commute from Braintree as you could on a Commuter Rail commute from Newburyport, I'm sure, depending on where exactly in the city you work.

It was right in the first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldTheGnome View Post
(4) Will commute to Financial District 2x/week, may change jobs & that number could rise to 3x or fall to 0x

Commuter rail to the Financial District from Newburyport would be freakin' awful. You want a South Station commute, not a North Station commute.

It's the usual Boston problem that if you change jobs, where you picked to buy a house could be a catastrophe. At their price point, you can't be close enough where you can be on the wrong side of Boston and it's not impossible.

The South Shore once you're beyond the 93 split isn't diverse at all assuming "South Shore" means Route 3.

Old 02-24-2022, 01:58 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
You might really like Scituate. Hingham, too but the price is probably beyond your budget.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:01 PM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You might really like Scituate. Hingham, too but the price is probably beyond your budget.
Right median price in Hingham is now $1,125,000.

Cohasset is now, $1,350,000

Old 02-24-2022, 02:07 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post

They wrote, "some semblance of ethnic and class diversity". Scituate is 95% white. Almost 90% owner-occupied housing. 60%+ college educated adults. It checks the other check boxes and commuter rail to the Financial District a couple days per week wouldn't be awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts