Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:14 PM

35 posts, read 150,165 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have been reading this forum and it has great information. We are looking to move back to New England and my husband needs to be able to fly out of Logan frequently. Is it easier to get to Logan from the North or South shore? The new commuter rail from the South shore sounds great. How is going on 93 from the south? I am looking on a map and it looks like it goes through higher crime areas from what I have read on the posts. Its hard to imagine what that drive is like just looking at a map. Any information would be helpful. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 08:55 PM

142 posts, read 660,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penandpaper View Post
Hello. I have been reading this forum and it has great information. We are looking to move back to New England and my husband needs to be able to fly out of Logan frequently. Is it easier to get to Logan from the North or South shore? The new commuter rail from the South shore sounds great. How is going on 93 from the south? I am looking on a map and it looks like it goes through higher crime areas from what I have read on the posts. Its hard to imagine what that drive is like just looking at a map. Any information would be helpful. Thank you so much.
The South Shore is probably easier. There is an entrance to the Ted Williams tunnel off I-93 about a mile or two from downtown that goes directly to the airport. The North Shore does not have access like that.

You'll also find he may be able to take a ferry service to Logan. Quincy has a service called the Harbor Express that may be worth investigating. I think there may be another ferry service that originates in Hingham, but I'm not sure if it goes to the airport or just downtown.

The drive on I-93 from the south is no picnic. You can expect congested roads during every rush hour, and occasionally on off-peak hours.

Driving through the crime areas you mention on I-93 is a non-issue. The high crime areas you are probably thinking of are not adjacent to the highway.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:41 PM

840 posts, read 761,137 times
I used to live in Marblehead on the northshore and took the blue line to the air port from Wonderland in Revere. It was pretty quick if you can get to Wonderland easily.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:14 AM

Thank you both. Is the Mass Pike easier than both the North or South Shore to get to Logan?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,998,091 times
Does he have to fly out of Logan or could he fly from TF Green in Providence. This airport is so much better than Logan. If you live on the south shore or a little further west, it'll be about the same distance. Logan is very difficult to navigate, cost of parking is outrageous. Traffic can be a nightmare.
Providence does have traffic at rush hour but if you can time the flights outside of that, TF Green is a breeze in and out!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 AM

142 posts, read 660,900 times
Quote:
Thank you both. Is the Mass Pike easier than both the North or South Shore to get to Logan?
It's a tough call. The Mass Pike (I-90) really ends at the airport. But, you will have to contend with traffic using this roadway to get to downtown and I-93. And, if you took public transportation, your options are more limited inland than near the ocean.

Also consider the advice from this thread of using TF Green in Warwick, RI as an alternative. It's about 40-45 miles from Boston, just south of Providence, off I-95. Savvy travelers know it's more convenient, more hassle-free and less costly than Logan.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:14 PM

Having another airport to fly out of would be great. It sounds like the South shore would give you options. He would still have to get downtown(Back Bay) every few weeks but the commute to the airport would be frequent. Thank you.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
Quote:
Having another airport to fly out of would be great. It sounds like the South shore would give you options. He would still have to get downtown(Back Bay) every few weeks but the commute to the airport would be frequent. Thank you.
I live in southeastern mass and have to say it's MUCH, MUCH easier to travel to TF Green than it is to Logan. Since moving to SE Mass I always fly out of TF Green. It's an easy airport to navigate and parking is a breeze. The nice thing about the South Shore and SE Mass is you're about halfway from both airports so if TF Green doesn't work (flight time wise) there's always Logan.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:17 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Don't forget Manchester Airport in Manchester, NH (MHT). Very easy airport if you live on the North Shore or along the I-93 & Route 3 corridors.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 21,445 times
I live in Quincy and travel frequently from Logan. I have option to drive (less than 30 min), take taxi, ($35), or take train (T - $2 - 30-40 min).

For frequent flyers, South Shore is best - for all type of weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts