Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 10:16 AM

41 posts, read 22,617 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I realize this topic has been done to death, but I'm hoping the title provides some specificity to make the thread useful for others as well.

My long-term gf and I currently rent on the South End/BB border and are looking to move at some point this year. Priorities listed below along with some preliminary thoughts:

(1) Price <$800k
(2) Single family detached home in the 1500-2200 sq ft range
(3) Two adults in their 40s & a dog; the humans are career oriented, the dog likes to run and poop
(4) Will commute to Financial District 2x/week, may change jobs & that number could rise to 3x or fall to 0x
(5) Emphasis on a yard; doesn't need to be huge, but needs to satisfy the dog's priorities
(6) Some semblance of ethnic and class diversity
(7) Minor: Love the South End restaurant & cocktail scene; would love *someplace* to go out sometimes
(8) Minor: Visual access to water; not to hang out on a beach but we find water to be mentally refreshing

We toured the lower North Shore last weekend: Lynn, Swampscott, Salem and Marblehead. We found Lynn to be depressing, so that's out. Swampscott looked promising on a drive through, Salem was cool but way too compressed both in the neighborhoods and houses we visited. (I am 6'4 and these historic houses are just too cramped.) Marblehead was charming but out of price range.

This weekend, weather permitting, we'll be headed south. I'm eager to see Quincy, Weymouth and down to Schiuate. Possibly also to the southwest to see Dedham if we have time. I probably could deal with a 75-minute non-driving (other than to a train station) commute door to door twice a week, would be painful at 3x/week.

We understand that we won't get everything we'd like, just trying to balance priorities. I was a bit let down by Salem, as I thought that might be more of a natural fit for us. We aren't late bar goers or people who need to socialize constantly. The idea is to buy a house and leave some cushion to fairly quickly make renovations to taste, with a plausible commute and sufficient yard for the creature.

Can anyone shed insight into these possibilities or add/correct what I've listed here? Thank you all very much for the advice on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 10:23 AM

16,482 posts, read 8,281,655 times
As far as south shore towns go Plymouth has been very popular as of late. Lots going on in Hanover too. I live on the south shore, grew up in Milton so I’m of course going to say south shore.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:29 AM

41 posts, read 22,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
As far as south shore towns go Plymouth has been very popular as of late. Lots going on in Hanover too. I live on the south shore, grew up in Milton so I’m of course going to say south shore.
Thank you! What would your take be on the commute? My impression was Plymouth would be too far, but I definitely like the housing stock there.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:32 AM

Yes it isn’t the best commute wise but since you’re not commuting 5 days a week it could be worth it. People do it! I know people who take the commuter rail from Kingston or drive. If you go to scituate there’s the the greenbush line.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:01 AM

6,465 posts, read 7,807,175 times
I was in Brookline for 10 yrs and moved South 2.5 yrs ago. Commute into the Fenway 2-3x per week. Commuted full time pre-pandemic using the commuter rail and now drive in. I am in Sharon. Commute (driving) is fine on the way in (I leave early) but can be a drag on the way back. Not a big deal for me though, and definitely not a deal breaker. I would scratch Schituate off the list. That place seems to get battered a lot with storms, loses power, etc. And I am more of a woods guy than Ocean (that's just me though).

We also looked at towns on the North and South Shores. In general, I liked the South - seemed to have more open space, wider roads, etc. At least the towns we looked at. I also liked the proximity to Providence. We had 1 dog and 2 cats when we moved. Got another dog about a year ago and are thinking about a third. We've got the land, dog park, and many other things for the pooches.

Whichever area you decide, I would just say that it is worth a 15 minute longer commute to get more of what you want. For example, Quincy is closer in proximity to the City than less dense towns, but not that much closer in actual commute time. Plymouth is an ok suggestion. A bit far but since you are not going in 5x/week, doable.

Best of luck.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:23 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,131,655 times
Are you taking the train? Quincy and the Red Line will get you to South Station much faster than the commuter rail options for the towns further out. You also get more diversity but will be pushing the budget a bit.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:29 AM

604 posts, read 563,517 times
The water view requirement is going to really handicap you here.

I'd be looking more inland on the north (melrose, stoneham, wakefield, reading, etc) before I looked at Dedham

Old 02-24-2022, 11:34 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
I'd take what you liked about Marblehead and try to recreate its aspects in towns better priced. Newburyport?

Old 02-24-2022, 11:37 AM

If I had no kids I would maybe just choose Quincy. You don't really need the schools or much space unless of course you want it. At the same time I do like space, kids or no kids. In Quincy the houses are closer together and it's more populated than some of the towns mentioned above on the south shore.

I think sometimes this forum can have a limited view when it comes to giving advice on where people should live. Not everyone needs a top tier school or to have the best commute possible. If the OP is only commuting in twice a week I would think they could be a bit further out. Pre covid people did live in some of these further out towns and commuted in 5 days a week.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:41 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,831,350 times
I'd kinda argue for quincy based on the red line alone. Also if you want diversity I don't think you'll find much of it in the suburbs.

The other factor is how far north and south are you willing to go? Plymouth by itself is big...really big. North Plymouth to Buttermilk bay is 20 miles, there's not many other places in the state that can say something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts