Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 10:27 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,223,904 times

Advertisements

The people working in labs/research labs are often paid pretty poorly...by Boston standards anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 10:54 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Right. I've made this point many times on different thread. labs only pay a small number of people the super-high salaries needed to afford to live in Boston as a newcomer.
Roomates are the solution to that.

Quote:
And they're wide and squat and thus can hurt the vibrancy of a streetscape compared to commercial or even office or residential space... It cant "save" Boston. Especially not if it's going to have to increasiingly compete with NYC Philly Raleigh Austin and others..
The big advantage Boston has is that it has a viable public transit system to the point where a car isn't needed. The stubbiness does hurt the feasibility of doing lab space in something like NYC.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:18 AM

Right our transit system is just the bees knees. I’m sure people come here thinking oh great I can take the train having no idea how much of a hassle it can turn out to be.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:49 AM

875 posts, read 664,957 times
Didn't read the whole thread but isn't this old/dated news, meaning that it reflects the exodus from Boston during the pandemic and not the bounce back?

All I read about is lack of rental inventory and higher than ever prices, and this is line with my own experience. I just rented two apartments for Sep. 1 for 25% more than current, and I have never seen such interest and number of applicants. All the landlords I know are saying the same thing.

https://bostonpads.com/blog/boston-r...market-report/

Old 03-25-2022, 12:09 PM

Right it's weird isn't it? These two sides.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:39 PM

604 posts, read 562,562 times
Houses in the good towns are going for 200, 300 more than they did pre-pandemic. There is still plenty of demand.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:41 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Roomates are the solution to that.

The big advantage Boston has is that it has a viable public transit system to the point where a car isn't needed. The stubbiness does hurt the feasibility of doing lab space in something like NYC.
Sir...people arent going to comeback to roomates after living solo. That outrageous. Otherwise, they wouldn't have moved away in the first place.

Families leaving due to expense cant opt for roommates.

Its sort of a myth Rent is all about supply and demand. It's about location and amenities. And Demand doesn't have to be high for there to still be very low supply throughout the metro....And when corporations and foreign investors are snatching up properties left and right it distorts the market

And Idk from what I can tell homes are selling for more but every article and anecdotally everything ive read says rents in Boston are still where they were in 2018 almost 4 years ago now. Certainly, thats how it looks on trulia.

Bostons public transit leaves much to be deisred and NYC's is much better. They probably have space for labs in Brooklyn and Queens but also in NNJ.

Not saying Boston is turning to bedlam or dead but I wouldnt expect another decade like we just had.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:11 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Sir...people arent going to comeback to roomates after living solo. That outrageous. Otherwise, they wouldn't have moved away in the first place.
I did. Lived alone mostly after moving to Madison (after 1st year), had roommates back in Boston, moved to SF, roommates, then back in Boston and lived solo. Lots of people I know have gone back and forth. Some prefer roommates over alone.

Hardly far fetched. I didn't move away to live alone, I moved away for professional opportunities and grad school. People go where the best opportunities are then make it work.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:39 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Also keep in mind the majority of people accounting for Boston area population growth are not rooted here like timberline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Net international migration (2020-2021) as percentage of 2020 population for the 40 largest MSAs in the nation:

"So usually Pittsburgh is last in a chart like this, and has been for many years. But, strange times... and Riverside, CA is negative?

Net international migration (2020-2021) as percentage of 2020 population for the 40 largest MSAs in the nation."

https://twitter.com/chrisbriem/statu...34502141923336

"Even if we did, somehow, boost immigration — it's not obvious that people would flock to the same urban centers (like LA) which have previously seen a lot of immigration.

Could be that new immigrants might also go directly for the booming sunbelt metros."

https://twitter.com/arpitrage/status...35702379810822
They’re not wed to this area.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:54 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I did. Lived alone mostly after moving to Madison (after 1st year), had roommates back in Boston, moved to SF, roommates, then back in Boston and lived solo. Lots of people I know have gone back and forth. Some prefer roommates over alone.

Hardly far fetched. I didn't move away to live alone, I moved away for professional opportunities and grad school. People go where the best opportunities are then make it work.
You have also admitted to living in places with no hot water, your standards are clearly not on par with most Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts