Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 08:25 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times

Advertisements

There’s another girl on my dept from Turkey in a part time tech support role. She is married with kids has a masters. Just interesting how a part time job based on Boston that doesn’t really require much skills went to a chick from Turkey. She lives here, role is remote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 08:31 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
There’s another girl on my dept from Turkey in a part time tech support role. She is married with kids has a masters. Just interesting how a part time job based on Boston that doesn’t really require much skills went to a chick from Turkey. She lives here, role is remote.

Because she applied and was the best (or only) candidate maybe?

Old 03-26-2022, 05:15 AM

5,116 posts, read 2,672,758 times
Quote:
If she lives here what does being from Turkey have to do with anything?

Old 03-26-2022, 05:38 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 222,052 times
Quote:
My guess is that her husband has a solid job so she could afford to work part-time at a relatively low wage. Having said that the K-12 education system has been so dumbed down that you need a bachelor's degree just to be a Barista these days.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:31 AM

I knew I was going to get crap for saying that. I get what you're saying but sometimes it would be nice to see jobs go to people who are from the area. Certainly there must be some young native Bostonians who could handle a part time tech support role. Not sure why it had to be someone from Turkey with a masters in architectural history from a school in turkey at that lol. I think Im allowed to wonder why sometimes.

And yes I believe she has a husband here who most likely has a full time role. Did she need that job? Probably not. Is there someone in Boston who probably needed it more? Most likely but companies don't care about that sh*t. And why should they I suppose but then don't pretend to care about low income people as many institutions pretend to.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
I knew I was going to get crap for saying that. I get what you're saying but sometimes it would be nice to see jobs go to people who are from the area. Certainly there must be some young native Bostonians who could handle a part time tech support role. Not sure why it had to be someone from Turkey with a masters in architectural history from a school in turkey at that lol. I think Im allowed to wonder why sometimes.

And yes I believe she has a husband here who most likely has a full time role. Did she need that job? Probably not. Is there someone in Boston who probably needed it more? Most likely but companies don't care about that sh*t. And why should they I suppose but then don't pretend to care about low income people as many institutions pretend to.
So you want businesses to violate Federal Law (the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986) and discriminate on National Origin. Got it.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:47 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
It's the cost. Seattle metro area is seeing a loss too. Costs in both cities basically can only be supported by two tech or physician like incomes. Unless you've been living in those places forever and have generational wealth or assets. That leaves out a lot of the traditional middle class. Both cities have a lot of social services but only geared to the extreme poor and dysfunctional.

WFH and overly woke progressive policies are not helping matters either and help explain places like Austin that aren't that cheap anymore but still seeing large growth.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:51 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So you want businesses to violate Federal Law (the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986) and discriminate on National Origin. Got it.
I didn’t say anything like that. Do you really think the best candidate always gets picked? I think hiring people have their own agenda these days. They can pick whoever they want. You seem to be saying that anytime an immigrant from anywhere in the world applies for a job here they have to be chosen or it’s discrimination? That’s a problem. Maybe this girl was the best of the people who applied. I’m just saying it’s too bad that all these fine institutions in the Boston area don’t seem to even be hiring people from MA anymore. In my team of like 40 or so I am literally the only person from MA. Most people happen to be from other states.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:04 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Didn't read the whole thread but isn't this old/dated news, meaning that it reflects the exodus from Boston during the pandemic and not the bounce back?

All I read about is lack of rental inventory and higher than ever prices, and this is line with my own experience. I just rented two apartments for Sep. 1 for 25% more than current, and I have never seen such interest and number of applicants. All the landlords I know are saying the same thing.

https://bostonpads.com/blog/boston-r...market-report/
Yep. This is what I am seeing.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:10 AM

Overall it seems like if you're rich you might have trouble finding somethign:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-...h=41d5155f41c7

https://www.boston25news.com/news/lo...HAMXLXHKYQWHQ/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts