Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 11:05 AM

179 posts, read 111,398 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are strongly considering a move to MA in a few months, but I'm trying to get a better idea of the weather. We live in CA and don't really deal with seasonal changes; it's just the same weather every day, although particularly hot in the summer. I really love the idea of "four seasons", but I've read that spring is largely absent in MA, and it's more like an extension of winter. Can anyone clarify this? Our other option is North Carolina, but I'm concerned about the heat there. I adjust much better to cold weather than I do hot. Any details are appreciated! If we move to MA, it would likely be to the central part of the state around Worcester, although we are open to other parts of the state as long as they're affordable (to us, affordable is a 4 bedroom house under 900k). We do not need to commute into Boston for anything.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 11:55 AM

604 posts, read 562,809 times
We only have two seasons here: Winter and Construction

More seriously though, I would definitely describe spring as a continuation of winter. It's 30 degrees today for example. And April tends to be cold and rainy. It does not get reliably "nice out" until about mid May in my opinion.

Fall is nice. I would say fall extends even into december these days. But new england spring is just brutal. There's a lot of positives about MA/Boston but if you're looking for pleasant weather, this isn't it.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:59 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,128,789 times
I'm a California transplant and have lived here for over 10 years.

The saying about spring just means that it's cold until summer but people remember the negatives more than the positives. Today is a good example...it snowed lightly in the morning and is in the 30's in Boston...but average temps over the last couple weeks and next couple of weeks have been and will be more mild and spring-like.

I don't mind the weather all that much. It helps if you're an adaptable person and can appreciate the variety and tradition the seasons bring.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:59 AM

2,354 posts, read 1,785,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
We only have two seasons here: Winter and Construction

More seriously though, I would definitely describe spring as a continuation of winter. It's 30 degrees today for example. And April tends to be cold and rainy. It does not get reliably "nice out" until about mid May in my opinion.

Fall is nice. I would say fall extends even into december these days. But new england spring is just brutal. If you're looking for pleasant weather, this isn't it.
Even had flurries this morning!

Old 03-28-2022, 12:02 PM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
Hello! We are strongly considering a move to MA in a few months, but I'm trying to get a better idea of the weather. We live in CA and don't really deal with seasonal changes; it's just the same weather every day, although particularly hot in the summer. I really love the idea of "four seasons", but I've read that spring is largely absent in MA, and it's more like an extension of winter. Can anyone clarify this? Our other option is North Carolina, but I'm concerned about the heat there. I adjust much better to cold weather than I do hot. Any details are appreciated! If we move to MA, it would likely be to the central part of the state around Worcester, although we are open to other parts of the state as long as they're affordable (to us, affordable is a 4 bedroom house under 900k). We do not need to commute into Boston for anything.

Thank you!!
Elevation also plays a key role in climate in MA. Worcester is right around 1,000 ft. elevation and receives far more snowfall on average in the winter compared to areas south of Boston that are closer to sea level. "Backloaded" winters are becoming the norm for most of the eastern US, meaning winter starts to really emerge by January and winds down by the end of March. You have to be mindful of ticks in the warmer months if you venture out into the woods trails. They are a big problem, and I wear insect resistant clothing, and tuck pants into shoes. Lot sizes in most of the area you're looking at will be much larger than CA, that is one of the biggest differences from many areas of the East compared to the West. In MA you might have a property line that is just a large tree line, trees of huge size. You don't see that much in the West unless it is the Pacific Northwest.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I'm a California transplant and have lived here for over 10 years.

The saying about spring just means that it's cold until summer but people remember the negatives more than the positives. Today is a good example...it snowed lightly in the morning and is in the 30's in Boston...but average temps over the last couple weeks and next couple of weeks have been and will be more mild and spring-like.

I don't mind the weather all that much. It helps if you're an adaptable person and can appreciate the variety and tradition the seasons bring.
Thank you, good to know! Is it grey during the spring, or does the sun come out often? I think cold is not as much a negative as grey and damp. We also had the opportunity to move to the PNW but my husband does not like the many months of grey weather there.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Elevation also plays a key role in climate in MA. Worcester is right around 1,000 ft. elevation and receives far more snowfall on average in the winter compared to areas south of Boston that are closer to sea level. "Backloaded" winters are becoming the norm for most of the eastern US, meaning winter starts to really emerge by January and winds down by the end of March. You have to be mindful of ticks in the warmer months if you venture out into the woods trails. They are a big problem, and I wear insect resistant clothing, and tuck pants into shoes. Lot sizes in most of the area you're looking at will be much larger than CA, that is one of the biggest differences from many areas of the East compared to the West. In MA you might have a property line that is just a large tree line, trees of huge size. You don't see that much in the West unless it is the Pacific Northwest.
Thank you, good to know we need to look at elevation! Yes, we are hoping for some property, ideally a .25+ acre lot. Yes, here in CA our neighbors are practically our roommates! We even know when they're showering, lol. It's one of the reasons, along with the school quality, that we're considering the east.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:12 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
Its not that bad. I live in Jersey and find the weather almost identical to Mass.

The worst months are Jan - Mar. I think Apr-May are great. Jun-Oct are the best. Nov-Dec are good..

New England winter feels like January to March to me. Unlike elsewhere in the country where it is December to February if that makes sense?

Old 03-28-2022, 12:17 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,128,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
Thank you, good to know! Is it grey during the spring, or does the sun come out often? I think cold is not as much a negative as grey and damp. We also had the opportunity to move to the PNW but my husband does not like the many months of grey weather there.
I don't have the numbers but I have not heard the complaints about it being grey here like it is in the PNW.

For the other seasons...Fall is New England's favorite season so there's not much to say about that. How you are managing the leaves on your property is a traditional conversation topic.

Summers can be tough with the humidity but you're getting humidity anywhere you go outside of the west coast and the Rockies.

Your average utility bill over a year will be higher here than in California and there are going to be higher maintenance costs for your home and car because of the weather. Freeze/thaw cycles, wind and storm damage, flooding, ice dams, salt from the winter, etc. A lot of this is manageable, it's just more than the near zero maintenance my parents have to do on their California home.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I don't have the numbers but I have not heard the complaints about it being grey here like it is in the PNW.

For the other seasons...Fall is New England's favorite season so there's not much to say about that. How you are managing the leaves on your property is a traditional conversation topic.

Summers can be tough with the humidity but you're getting humidity anywhere you go outside of the west coast and the Rockies.

Your average utility bill over a year will be higher here than in California and there are going to be higher maintenance costs for your home and car because of the weather. Freeze/thaw cycles, wind and storm damage, flooding, ice dams, salt from the winter, etc. A lot of this is manageable, it's just more than the near zero maintenance my parents have to do on their California home.
I'm not too worried about humidity. We deal with 80+ temperatures in CA for six months out of the year, many days going into the 90s. I am concerned about the wear and tear and utilities. Do you mind sharing what your average utilities bill is in the winter, and about how much you spend on weather-related maintenance per year? Our PG&E (Norcal utilities conglomerate) bill is $600+/month now and we don't even use heat and AC! Rates skyrocketed to fund wildfire mitigation, but the new rates are the final straw for a lot of people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts