Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 02:53 PM

5,175 posts, read 2,749,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Potentially following in the footsteps of New York...I'm hoping Massachusetts stays smarter than New York. New York crime and violence is too far away for it to be much of a concern to me but Massachusetts is right next door.
I don't think shuttering an old, outdated, and underused max security correctional facility marks a turn toward far left criminal justice policies (although unrelated efforts are definitely in the works). Even if the need for a new facility arises, they can now be built in ways that make them safer for both staff and inmates. To those who don't care about prison conditions or violence DOC is always hiring, so put your money where you mouth is and get in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 04:50 PM

21,806 posts, read 12,987,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
How was it evil? I'm sure bad things have happened there, it is a jail...but what was evil?
It was an absolute nightmare from what I’ve read. It’s not for nothing that it’s being closed.

Old 04-08-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I would think that sort of thing happens at most jails.
Walpole apparently was an exceptionally violent prison by national standards in the 70s and 80s

Old 04-08-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
This is exactly the wrong move for Mass. If we have more room in the jails we should arrest more criminals.

Me thinks this is just another way of the crazy people running our government to save money that they will give away to these very same criminals while the good people of the state run around afraid of crime.

Is there any normal person who thinks we need less prisions?
‘Quick! somebody lock somebody up!’

Old 04-08-2022, 07:45 PM

16,906 posts, read 8,579,415 times
I remember visiting the Walpole jail on a school field trip and looking back that seemed like an odd place to take kids on a field trip. It was in a psychology class. My high school wasn’t exactly the type of school where kids needed to worry about ending up in jail so it wasn’t really a make sure you don’t end up here type thing. It was kind of depressing and some of the men ( well all of them) hadn’t seen girls in a while so you can imagine how they acted seeing high school girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts