Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2022, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,218 times

Advertisements

My family is strongly considering a move to Chelmsford but would love some local opinions. We understand the schools are good there and there seems to be more inventory than some of the surrounding towns, like Westford and Littleton. I love the idea of a smallish, tight knit community that is welcoming to new residents. I would love to have a bit of a walkable, charming downtown with at least one good coffee shop, restaurants, and an independent bookstore. Also love a farmer's market and a Main Street 4th of July parade or some kind of town festival. Curious about the charm factor of Chelmsford. Would be willing to reconsider charm for a lovely town that is a great place to raise a family in. TIA for any insights!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 05:41 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Did you check out the recent adjacent thread?

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...ffordable.html

Old 05-11-2022, 05:23 AM

I did see that, yes thanks. I am hoping to get more detailed accounts of what Chelmsford is like.

Old 05-11-2022, 01:25 PM

531 posts, read 424,624 times
I wouldn't say Chelmsford is one of those destination downtowns you sound like you might be referring to. I know there are a few very good restaurants in Chelmsford (Andiamo and Moonstones come to mind) that I would go out of my way to drive to for dinner, but then I'd get in the car and go home after. I wouldn't drive to Chelmsford to walk around town on a Saturday afternoon or roam around after dinner, grab an espresso, and poke around in shops. Does that make sense? I think the closest place in that vicinity that fits your downtown atmosphere requirement would be Andover.

People in this forum do mention Westford a lot, but I don't know too much about it. I do know everyone and their mother goes to a place called Kimball Farm for ice cream and mini golf. Other than that, I'm not too sure if there's much of a downtown there or in Littleton either. Hoping maybe others can help out with other places in that area that might have charming downtowns in addition to Andover.

Last edited by Remy11; 05-11-2022 at 01:58 PM..

Old 05-11-2022, 03:19 PM

Cake4life,
Sorry, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm knocking Chelmsford in any way. I think it's a nice town and seems to have become quite desirable in the past few years but unfortunately I don't think it really falls under the category of what you described above. Some towns that come to mind are:

Amesbury
Andover
Beverly/Beverly Farms
Melrose
Ipswich
Newburyport
Marblehead
Salem
Gloucester
Rockport
Manchester

And then there are small little towns like Georgetown, Hamilton, and Topsfield that would fall more in the 'charming' category with maybe one or two book stores, a coffee shop or two, and one or two restaurants.

I'm not as familiar with the towns west of Chelmsford like Acton, Ayer, Groton, etc., so I can't really speak to the charming/fun downtowns in that area.

Last edited by Remy11; 05-11-2022 at 04:24 PM..

Old 05-12-2022, 09:14 PM

Thank you very much! This is great and helpful information!

Old 05-12-2022, 09:16 PM

Super informative, thank you!

Old 05-13-2022, 09:52 AM

700 posts, read 446,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post

And then there are small little towns like Georgetown, Hamilton, and Topsfield that would fall more in the 'charming' category with maybe one or two book stores, a coffee shop or two, and one or two restaurants.
Google suggests that those three towns have zero bookstores, except maybe one young childrens' store near Georgetown.

Zero.

Then I widened out Google Maps to basically encompass all of the north shore+++ and there are maybe 3 or 4 that aren't chains or thrift stores.

I'm not directing this at you, Remy11, but just to suggest that for all the posters who claim to want charming bookstores downtown, there doesn't seem to be any real, money-paying demand for this.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Google suggests that those three towns have zero bookstores, except maybe one young childrens' store near Georgetown.

Zero.

Then I widened out Google Maps to basically encompass all of the north shore+++ and there are maybe 3 or 4 that aren't chains or thrift stores.

I'm not directing this at you, Remy11, but just to suggest that for all the posters who claim to want charming bookstores downtown, there doesn't seem to be any real, money-paying demand for this.
I was actually thinking of Georgetown specifically when I wrote that. There was one in town when I was there, but it has since closed. Agree that bookstores seem to be a thing of the past. I know Georgetown has a cute tea shop called Hatter’s where people go to read tho!

Salem might be the only place left that has one. Oh, actually, Newburyport has Jabberwocky Books.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:43 AM

5,951 posts, read 2,871,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post

Zero.

A book store is the breaking point on buying a home ?
A children's store ?
I think all the town's have library s. But hey that's just me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts