Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 09:48 AM

2,441 posts, read 4,845,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
I was actually thinking of Georgetown specifically when I wrote that. There was one in town when I was there, but it has since closed. Agree that bookstores seem to be a thing of the past. I know Georgetown has a cute tea shop called Hatter’s where people go to read tho!

Salem might be the only place left that has one. Oh, actually, Newburyport has Jabberwocky Books.
One or two bookstores in Concord. Chelmsford is next to Lowell which has great downtown for walks, restaurants, things to do, occasional festivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 10:32 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,289,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
I was actually thinking of Georgetown specifically when I wrote that. There was one in town when I was there, but it has since closed. Agree that bookstores seem to be a thing of the past. I know Georgetown has a cute tea shop called Hatter’s where people go to read tho!

Salem might be the only place left that has one. Oh, actually, Newburyport has Jabberwocky Books.
We have a couple here in Northampton, but I always wonder how much business they actually do and how they are able to pay (what I'm sure is) expensive rent.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:48 PM

79 posts, read 87,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake4life View Post
My family is strongly considering a move to Chelmsford but would love some local opinions. We understand the schools are good there and there seems to be more inventory than some of the surrounding towns, like Westford and Littleton. I love the idea of a smallish, tight knit community that is welcoming to new residents. I would love to have a bit of a walkable, charming downtown with at least one good coffee shop, restaurants, and an independent bookstore. Also love a farmer's market and a Main Street 4th of July parade or some kind of town festival. Curious about the charm factor of Chelmsford. Would be willing to reconsider charm for a lovely town that is a great place to raise a family in. TIA for any insights!
When I read this post describing the attributes that you’re looking for in a town, I was like….hmmm….Chelmsford? I’m sorry to say that you’re not describing Chelmsford.

That being said, though Chelmsford does not have the qualities you describe, it is a very family oriented town and always has been (we’ve had family there for years). It’s a solid choice of towns to raise a family in, especially if other more “charming” towns are out of your price range. Chelmsford has many family neighborhoods with wide streets for kids to play, ride bikes, etc. Ball fields for little league, a rail trail, a small pond to swim in. Quintessential suburban vibe, leaning more rural in some areas. Lots of “starter” homes, some newer construction. Down to earth folks, no snob factor in play. Somewhat blue collar roots, but now pretty solidly white collar.

But … you just have to be ok with the “small strip mall” downtown aesthetic vs. the “charming Main Street” vibe. It sounds like you might be?

On the other hand, are you locked into Chelmsford because of your budget?
Are you locked into Metrowest because of a work commute?

If you are not constrained by budget/commute and are free to roam, your post better describes Concord. Or, the Northshore towns that were listed by a previous poster, above. Newburyport in particular fits the bill. Newburyport checks every single item on your list, right down to having the Jabberwocky, an awesome independent bookstore. However, it will be MUCH more expensive than Chelmsford. Any town that ticks these boxes will be more expensive than Chelmsford.

Quaint and charming comes with a huge pricetag. And, sometimes a very, very long commute.

P.S. Of course, the Berkshires max out on charm and the towns there are more affordable. I didn’t discuss because that’s an entirely different part of the state and not known for strength of their schools.

Last edited by Idontwanttocheckmymessage; 05-16-2022 at 12:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts