Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 03:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetwest View Post
Hi all,

We are beginning the college search and Clark University and Endicott College come up as contenders. I have read and gotten great insight and advice from city-data for years, so here are some questions:

1. How is the college and town relationship...is it friendly for the most part?
2. What is the town's "vibe;" that feeling of being there that only comes from being a part of the community or living near the community for a while? It's subjective of course, but is also not something that surveys or rankings can really pin down.
3. We're from the Sacramento, CA suburbs, so our kiddo is used to very different weather. Climate zones can only tell you so much when you're not living in the environment. Clark U. and Endicott have different climates too...so when do the daffodils start to bloom in Worcester and Beverly?
4. Anyone willing to share their experiences with the university/college on their own are welcome too!

Thanks in advance
1. As you probably know, these are two completely different kinds of schools in two very different locations. One is in a gritty part of a medium-sized city (Clark) and the other is in an absolutely beautiful location in Beverly Farms on the North Shore oceanfront (Endicott). Additionally, Clark has significantly higher academic standards and clout (in my view, anyway). Both of these schools would provide a very different experience, but at least Clark has Holy Cross and Worcester Poly Tech nearby. Endicott has none of the above.

2. Worcester is the second largest city in New England, but you'd never know it. It's kind of boring, though it has great cultural institutions (a great museum, Mechanics Hall - with the best acoustics in the US, etc.). For a New England city that is roughly the same size, Providence is much more interesting and fun, again in my view. Beverly is a small relatively inconsequential town adjacent to Salem and Magnolia in Manchester. Salem is fun, but your kid would need to go to Boston or Cambridge to have a true college experience.

3. In terms of the weather, Worcester can be brutal in the winter, with significantly more snow than the coast. So, if your kid likes snow, they'd be very happy. Daffodils come at the end of March to early April, but at least they won't be consumed by wildfires!

4. While I could tell you about my college experiences in three places, only Boston would be relevant here. And the attractions of Boston for a typical college student are obvious and well-documented everywhere.

I'm curious how you arrived at these two college choices, three thousand miles from home. Neither of them are places I would travel that far to attend.

Last edited by rranger; 06-02-2022 at 04:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 06:29 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Are those online rankings correct tho? It’s saying WPI has a 60% acceptance rate and Northeastern is only 20% (I feel super smart right now for getting into Northeastern lol!) I would’ve guessed WPI would be way lower and Northeastern would be higher.

I wouldn’t say Endicott and Clark are perceived as drastically different schools from an academic perspective. I always thought Holy Cross and WPI were the high-ranking Worcester schools and Clark, Worcester State, and Assumption were more middle of the road like Endicott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Northeastern has come up like gangbusters in the last decade. It didn't even make my safety school list when I applied to college in 2006 because it was ranked under 100 (I know, I know) but it has jumped up to be competitive with BU, BC and Brandeis. It's just under on rankings.
In the past 25 years, Northeastern worked hard to transform itself from a blue collar, commuter alternative to BU, BC to the school it is today. In 1996, the new President of the school started the transformation by focusing on one thing: it's US News ranking. By raising it's profile, it could attract better students and many of those would pay it's now increasing tuition. You can see the story here.

As for acceptance rate, if a school can increase applications (like NU), it can reject more applicants and lower it's acceptance rate. Schools love to tout that number but what really matters is their yield rate - how many accept the offer. The higher it is shows that the school was a top choice.

Endicott has a pretty campus in a suburban area. Endicott always seemed like a lower tier option for students that could afford to pay the tuition. Clark seemed to have a higher profile but it also could be considered a lower tier school. Now both are solid schools and draw mostly from eastern MA and New England. If the OP's child is interested in a bucolic New England campus setting, then consider Endicott. If they want a more urban situation, then Clark.

My daughter just graduated from Assumption in Worcester. It's a solid school as well in the suburban part of Worcester but only a short ride from Shrewsbury St. and Union Station. The schools in Worcester work cooperatively on some programs and activities.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:31 AM

531 posts, read 425,439 times
Endicott actually has three colleges nearby as well: Gordon College, Salem State, and Montserrat College.

I can only speak for Endicott as an actual student, but I don’t think you can go wrong with either college. I value my time at EC and I know my brother's friends very much enjoyed their time at CU. I think both are great schools that have served their students well.

Last edited by Remy11; 06-02-2022 at 08:00 AM..

Old 06-02-2022, 08:11 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Echoing that northeastern has changed a lot. When I applied to college in 96 it seemed like it was everyone’s safety school. Not the case today.

I was just throwing the acceptance rates out there. It seems like Clark is a more challenging school to get into than endicott. I’m not saying any of that matters in terms of how people turn out but there are perhaps better students who are more serious about academics at Clark than at endicott.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Has Endicott actually been able to shake their history as a 2 year girls finishing school? A Fawn Liebowicz dies in a kiln explosion experience. It was that until the mid-1990s. I’d worry that it would be tough applying to a graduate school from there. Clark has always been a place with some academic chops.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:28 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
I went to Clark, but in the '80s, so I'm sure things are very different these days. That said, Clark was always very integrated with the community, while still maintaining a true campus. When I went there, the neighborhood was pretty gritty and there was some amount of crime that you had to be aware of, but I never personally had a problem and didn't have any friends who ran into problems either. Lots of people (myself included) eventually moved on to off-campus housing and, one of the advantages of being in the neighborhood we were was that there were lots of affordable apartments around. I imagine that may no longer be the case, but don't really know.

The downtown and other areas of the city are (or, at least, were) very accessible via the bus system. Getting to downtown just an easy ride down Main Street.

The university itself is very well-regarded and highly competitive. Small enough to have many intimate class options, but big enough to have lots of options overall.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:12 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Clark is definitely a step above. Not among the most selective in the state, but still fairly competitive compared to the average school in the country. It's ranked 103 in the country by US News, but Endicott doesn't rank nationally at all.

But doesn't US News only rank universities (not colleges)?

Old 06-02-2022, 09:30 AM

531 posts, read 425,439 times
I'm seeing it as #23 (out of 176) under Regional Universities North.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...t-college-2148

Also, it became a 4-year college in 1987 (not the mid-nineties) as someone else stated. Men were allowed to enroll starting in 1994, but it's been a 4-year school for almost 35 years.

As others stated, I agree that it really comes down to the type of atmosphere the OP's student is looking for.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:00 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times
It also depends on what they intend to study. General rankings don't always reflect program-specific strengths and weaknesses.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:28 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
Clark is a fully urban campus in the middle of the (technically) 2nd largest city in New England. Endicott is not an urban campus (I think they have a gate at the main entrance) in an outer suburb of Boston.
I think the vibe couldn't be different.
I don't know how much interaction the different colleges have but Worcester has a few colleges so maybe there is that too to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts