Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 07:10 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Did she blame you for getting in her way?
She did seem very frustrated and kind of threw up her hands as I turned in front of her as if I was preventing her from exercising her right of way. I honestly don't remember ever experiencing this before.

Still, I think drivers in MA not knowing how to properly use the left lane of a highway is far more problematic and far more common.

I was driving back from Cape Cod this weekend (my parents live there so I go down on weekends from time-to-time during the summer when the market slows in July/August). I lost count of how many times there was a driver in the left lane blocking traffic because they were driving at the EXACT SAME speed as the car in the right lane. There was no one in front of them for a while and they were definitely not passing anyone.

Just to reiterate . . . PLEASE PEOPLE, the left lane in MA is intended for PASSING other cars. It's not the "speed" lane. It's the passing lane in this state. So, if cars are passing you on the right or if there's no car to your right or if generally you are not passing anyone then you need to move to the right. Thanks and drive safe out there!!!

Also, if you're in heavy traffic there is absolutely no reason to leave 100 car lengths between you and the car in front of you. All you're doing is slowing down everyone behind you and making traffic worse. These drivers for some reason also are far slower to react when traffic lightens again creating more traffic or worsening the traffic behind them. If you're one of these drivers, please be courteous and stay out of the left lane entirely. Thanks!!

Sorry guys. I spend a lot of time in my car. Rant over . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 07:46 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

Still, I think drivers in MA not knowing how to properly use the left lane of a highway is far more problematic and far more common.
I know other states have this as a law, but I cannot find the language in MA law.

Towing in the left lane is a big no-no, and yet I often find myself behind some SUV with a jetski or travel trailer doing 80MPH in various states around New England. I know that states that have such laws actually limit vehicles towing trailers (and commercial vehicles) to the first 2 lanes on a 3 or 4 lane highway.

EDIT: Quick search and I cannot find anything saying you can't. Maybe it's not a law in MA?

Old 07-11-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I know other states have this as a law, but I cannot find the language in MA law.

Towing in the left lane is a big no-no, and yet I often find myself behind some SUV with a jetski or travel trailer doing 80MPH in various states around New England. I know that states that have such laws actually limit vehicles towing trailers (and commercial vehicles) to the first 2 lanes on a 3 or 4 lane highway.

EDIT: Quick search and I cannot find anything saying you can't. Maybe it's not a law in MA?
I don't know about the trailer issue you speak of, but here is a quote from an article I found citing the statute governing who is allowed to travel in the left lane and stating that vehicles are required to travel in the right lanes as the left lane is only for overtaking and passing of other vehicles. As an aside, I believe it's illegal for trucks to travel in the left lane in MA but again I don't know about vehicles towing things.

Quote:
Massachusetts law requires drivers to always keep right unless turning or passing. M.G.L. c. 89, Section 2 mandates that drivers passing other vehicles traveling the same direction must pass on the left. Section 4B of the same law requires motor vehicle operators to always operate in the right lane, unless overtaking another vehicle, then the operator may move into the left lane to pass, then move back into the right lane after the overtaking is completed.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:57 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
There was talk some years back that MSP would be stepping up enforcement of this problem because of its strong nexus to road rage and ensuing reckless driving but that doesn't appear to have happened. I think a campaign to stress these basic laws should be implemented into driver training, as well as increased enforcement is the only way to change it. This is also a significant problem in various other states.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I believe it's illegal for trucks to travel in the left lane in MA
Trucks are limited to the 2 right lanes on a 3 or 4 lane highway

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...er89/Section4C

I can't find anything on having something in tow in the left lanes. I've found it for other states though.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
There was talk some years back that MSP would be stepping up enforcement of this problem because of its strong nexus to road rage and ensuing reckless driving but that doesn't appear to have happened. I think a campaign to stress these basic laws should be implemented into driver training, as well as increased enforcement is the only way to change it. This is also a significant problem in various other states.
I would say enforcement is the most likely route to getting people to conform to the law. I'm quite sure most people are aware of what the left lane is for . . . they just don't care.

I have a friend who I remember once got a ticket for traveling in the left lane (he was clearly not passing anyone as there was not a car anywhere near him). I'm pretty sure it was in a different state though.

Quote:
Trucks are limited to the 2 right lanes on a 3 or 4 lane highway

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...er89/Section4C

I can't find anything on having something in tow in the left lanes. I've found it for other states though.
Thanks for the clarification! I'm not sure there is a restriction on vehicles towing a trailer. I'd never heard of that before.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:31 AM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times
We moved to NH some years back and wondered what was up with Mass drivers. More than one person told us they're called Mas_h_les, for their driving habits among other things. Yup.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
We moved to NH some years back and wondered what was up with Mass drivers. More than one person told us they're called Mas_h_les, for their driving habits among other things. Yup.
As much as I've complained about MA drivers on here, there are places in the US that are far more difficult to drive in IMO like Miami, NYC, LA, etc.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:49 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Quote:
I would say enforcement is the most likely route to getting people to conform to the law. I'm quite sure most people are aware of what the left lane is for . . . they just don't care.
Not caring is a factor, along with many control freaks with a need to "rule the road". But there are many who are ignorant as to how the lane should be used. Lots of transplants who don't test when they transfer their US licenses, lots of others who may skim over that stuff when they first get licensed but if it isn't drilled into them they forget.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
But there are many who are ignorant as to how the lane should be used.
I believe you are right. It's the only explanation as to some of the actions I observe by folks who seem intent on sitting in the left lane with the cruise control set to 65 wondering why folks are darting 3 lanes to the right to zip around and get in front of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts