Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 08:37 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've never used it. Did a search for the vehicle in the trim level I want and it's the same deal as the dealer. 1-2 year old model with half the warranty allotted miles gone selling for near or at MSRP. I might as well buy brand spanking new.

I'll probably sell my current car to carmax/carvana. I figure i drop in and get the car appraised before I go to the dealer to see about the trade.
That's what I noticed too. I guess the only advantage to buying used right now is to find the color/model/options you can't get or have to wait to get in a new car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 10:46 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
If you are shopping for a new(er) car right now it's a bit of a PITA. I'm finding 1-2 year old cars with ~20K miles on it selling for what MSRP is on a 2022 model with 0 miles and full warranty intact.

I figure I might as well buy brand spanking new, except that what's on the lot is rather sparse, or an optioned out model. Dealers telling me 6+ months to order the one i want.

I put my search on hold for now. I'm curious to see how the market is by the end of this summer.
I put a deposit on an Outback on May 16 and had them tweak the port options to what I wanted. The car rolled off the train at Ernie Boch Junior’s Subaru of New England port at the Quonset Naval Air Station last week. At least with Subaru, the minor options are all installed at the port. As long as you’re OK with the color for the trim level they ordered for inventory, you can change the rest.

After accounting for the sales tax savings, the Carmax offer for my car is very close to what the dealership is giving me for trade-in value.

My guess is that with 8% inflation and all the added production costs, the MSRP on cars is going to increase significantly. I’d rather lock in the 2022 model year price.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:51 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’d rather lock in the 2022 model year price.
Unfortunately that ship has sailed. Ordering for the model/trim i want is now closed for 2022 and will reopen sometime in Aug for 2023.

I'm left to whatever is on dealer lots, and the pickings are slim/non-existent as this trim level gets scooped up quickly. Probably why 1-2 year old models are selling for near MSRP.

I'm not used to this. I'm used to buying 1-2 year old cars for a significant chunk of savings off buying new. That's why for the first time ever i might actually buy/order a new car.

Old 07-05-2022, 02:55 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
If you are shopping for a new(er) car right now it's a bit of a PITA. I'm finding 1-2 year old cars with ~20K miles on it selling for what MSRP is on a 2022 model with 0 miles and full warranty intact.
Yeah. I was finding that too. I would call a dealership and they'd say "we don't have any of those in stock but we do have a used one that's a model year (or sometimes two) old."

Personally, I think the used car prices are more inflated than the new car ones right now. So, I wasn't interested in buying a used car and having a ton of equity just evaporate in a year or two when the market corrects.

Quote:
I put my search on hold for now. I'm curious to see how the market is by the end of this summer.
If my old car wasn't a lease there would be no way you could convince me to buy/lease a new/uesed car right now. I would have held onto it for another year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I know what you mean, from the seller's end. I bought my 2011 Sienna AWD minivan in 2013 after a 2-yr lease, for $19K. Sold it to Carmax this past January for $18K, after 65K miles on it!
Used car prices are BONKERS right now. I gave the dealership my leased car and they gave me $6,000 towards my new car and paid off the rest of my lease. Any other year and I would have had to pay them to take the car.

Quote:
I've never used it. Did a search for the vehicle in the trim level I want and it's the same deal as the dealer. 1-2 year old model with half the warranty allotted miles gone selling for near or at MSRP. I might as well buy brand spanking new.

I'll probably sell my current car to carmax/carvana. I figure i drop in and get the car appraised before I go to the dealer to see about the trade.
That's a good idea. I will say I tried all the online guys for quotes and none of them would offer me what the dealership would. I was really surprised about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
That's what I noticed too. I guess the only advantage to buying used right now is to find the color/model/options you can't get or have to wait to get in a new car.
The big advantage is that you can have it now. In my entire life, I've never seen my parents buy a used car. They're always bought new cars. This year they bought a used car because the prices on new cars are so ridiculous.

Quote:
I put a deposit on an Outback on May 16 and had them tweak the port options to what I wanted. The car rolled off the train at Ernie Boch Junior’s Subaru of New England port at the Quonset Naval Air Station last week. At least with Subaru, the minor options are all installed at the port. As long as you’re OK with the color for the trim level they ordered for inventory, you can change the rest.
Most Asian manufacturers tend to have trim levels and not options. So, it more comes down to finding a car that's the right trim level and right color. As you said, most of the options are just things like roof racks, running boards, etc. that are installed at the port.

Quote:
My guess is that with 8% inflation and all the added production costs, the MSRP on cars is going to increase significantly. I’d rather lock in the 2022 model year price.
I spent hours calling around looking for a 2022 order slot or a 2022 in inventory. I found one and the dealership initially wanted to mark the car up $1500 (they called it a "ceramic interior/exterior protection package" but I call that mark up). I was able to get them to remove that charge since the car hadn't even hit the lot yet, but they wouldn't discount the car at all.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If my old car wasn't a lease there would be no way you could convince me to buy/lease a new/uesed car right now. I would have held onto it for another year.
I'm going to hold for now but i'll casually keep looking and keep tabs on the market. I'm at 150K miles and while the car runs well, I want to get ahead of any major potential (expensive) issues.

Last car I had (AWD Infiniti G35) I kept until almost 200K. It was really starting to have issues towards the end and i should have moved on. One day on the highway at 80MPH, the front driveshaft failed and separated at 80MPH breaking the front differential and the transfer case and essentially totaled out the car. I had to get a rental car for a week while i shopped for a new car. It ended up being an expensive experience and I had to compromise a bit on what car I ended up buying just due to time constraints. Dealer also wouldn't take a busted car in on trade, so i had the added hassle of no trade-in value, and having to dispose of the car myself. I parted it out, made about $1500 and scrapped the shell.

Needless to say I am looking to avoid a repeat of the above, while getting some value from my current car. I'd like to keep my next car 10 years so I want to make sure I get what I like with the options and features I want.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-06-2022 at 07:51 AM..

Old 07-06-2022, 08:55 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
I'm going to hold for now but i'll casually keep looking and keep tabs on the market. I'm at 150K miles and while the car runs well, I want to get ahead of any major potential (expensive) issues.

Last car I had (AWD Infiniti G35) I kept until almost 200K. It was really starting to have issues towards the end and i should have moved on. One day on the highway at 80MPH, the front driveshaft failed and separated at 80MPH breaking the front differential and the transfer case and essentially totaled out the car. I had to get a rental car for a week while i shopped for a new car. It ended up being an expensive experience and I had to compromise a bit on what car I ended up buying just due to time constraints. Dealer also wouldn't take a busted car in on trade, so i had the added hassle of no trade-in value, and having to dispose of the car myself. I parted it out, made about $1500 and scrapped the shell.

Needless to say I am looking to avoid a repeat of the above, while getting some value from my current car. I'd like to keep my next car 10 years so I want to make sure I get what I like with the options and features I want.
I had an Infiniti G35x at one point too. I think I kept it for 9 years. I don't remember how many miles it had when I dumped it but I was definitely starting to have problems with it and the repair costs were starting to add up. Japanese cars in my experience are pretty rock solid and you should have no problem getting 10 years out of a Toyota or a Honda. My father-in-law just got rid of his Camry last year. I don't know how long he had it for but it was at least 10 years and he had something like 300k miles on it.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:01 AM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Japanese cars in my experience are pretty rock solid and you should have no problem getting 10 years out of a Toyota or a Honda. My father-in-law just got rid of his Camry last year. I don't know how long he had it for but it was at least 10 years and he had something like 300k miles on it.

Hondas and Toyotas yes (although they have their bad apples as well), but Nissans are Japanese as well and you just identified them as a brand that doesn't age the greatest. The Ford I bought in 2005 held up much better than those I know who bought Nissans/Infinitis from that era.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:18 AM

I didn't really start having issues with the Infiniti until after 150K miles. Up to that point it was just routine maintenance and a couple minor repairs under warranty. When i started having wheel bearings go bad, and the engine started to consume oil and developed a light knock.

I'm in a Ford now that's been pretty good. My next vehicle will be a Ford. I'm just a Ford guy. My wife gets to be the one with brand diversity.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:22 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
I had an Infiniti G35x at one point too. I think I kept it for 9 years. I don't remember how many miles it had when I dumped it but I was definitely starting to have problems with it and the repair costs were starting to add up.
My mother still has her '11 G35X. It's at about 180k and starting to amass some pretty frequent (and hefty) repair bills. It's having enough problems that I personally wouldn't drive it anymore for fear of getting stranded. But she is still reluctant to let it go. Nice driving car, too much road noise for a "luxury" car, but overall a decent vehicle and the longest she's kept (usually swaps at about 100k).

Old 07-06-2022, 09:23 AM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
I didn't really start having issues with the Infiniti until after 150K miles. Up to that point it was just routine maintenance and a couple minor repairs under warranty.

I'm in a Ford now that's been pretty good. My next vehicle will be a Ford. I'm just a Ford guy. My wife gets to be the one with brand diversity.

Right up to 150K/7 years(ish) one should be fine, but you should be able to say the same about any brand these days. My last one went to 15 years/300K with the biggest repairs being an upper/lower control arm and a couple of clutches. It was still running strong, but the body rust was really starting. I consider any modern vehicle that needs a major repair before 200K, to be subpar (if not poorly cared for and maintained).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts