Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 08:10 PM

5,093 posts, read 2,654,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I guess that makes me part ma**hole. However, many of the people who pass on solid double yellows only seem to want to instigate. Often times, I've seen it where they'll pass then slow down lower than the posted speed limit once they're in front of you. I don't play that game, I've gotten good at predicting people's next move based on their behavior as I observe it in my rear view mirror or how they're driving nearby. I mean come on, you're in a Nissan Rogue and think you're going to be able to pass a German engineered sedan then lay on the horn for a full 20 seconds because you're pi**ed you couldn't make it. Oh well, now you have to go the posted speed limit again to get to the red light up ahead. If I was the instigating a**hole who was planning to do a dangerous maneuver like passing on solid double yellows I'd at least consider whether or not the car in front of me was likely to be slower than mine in case they decided to accelerate quick to thwart my effort.
How would you feel if the loon crashed into an oncoming car with a child in it after you recklessly drag raced them down the road? All in the name of teaching some kind of a lesson that isn't your job. I'm tempted to mention some (in many cases very realistic) stereotypes that exist with those who drive and boast about their German made-sedans, but I'll refrain. But imagine the gall of that person challenging your Euro sedan with their lowly Nissan.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 06-23-2022 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 09:09 PM

3,586 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
How would you feel if the loon crashed into an oncoming car with a child in it after you recklessly drag raced them down the road? All in the name of teaching some kind of a lesson that isn't your job. I'm tempted to mention some (in many cases very realistic) stereotypes that exist with those who drive and boast about their German made-sedans, but I'll refrain. But imagine the gall of that person challenging your Euro sedan with their lowly Nissan.

I'd feel fine because I wasn't the moron who decided to try to pass on solid double yellows. I'd imagine if they were a somewhat sane individual that they'd surely have regret and learn their lesson though. I'm not boasting about what I drive, just trying to point out what makes this particular scenario even more ludicrous is the person clearly didn't consider that I might step on the gas a little. Based on what I was driving versus what they were driving, it didn't take much for me to thwart their passing attempt. If I was the one being a moron attempting to pass on solid double yellows in my German made sedan and let's say I had a corvette in front of me. I'd think gee that car can probably accelerate a lot quicker than mine and I doubt I'll be successful passing them if they decide to step on the gas some more.

Old 06-24-2022, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I'd feel fine
This speaks volumes about you. I think back to a few months ago when you posted about a lady hit while crossing the street and made a scathing comment about the driver before even knowing the facts of what happened. In this case your actions would be contributing to a crash because you went over the speed limit and tried to prevent the guy from passing you when it's not your business to do so.... but you would "feel fine." I'd feel like a POS. And rightfully so. And why would the loon expect you to accelerate if you were traveling at a certain speed all along? The reason is that he didn't factor into the equation that he was dealing with another loon.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:17 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
I'd feel fine because I wasn't the moron who decided to try to pass on solid double yellows. I'd imagine if they were a somewhat sane individual that they'd surely have regret and learn their lesson though. I'm not boasting about what I drive, just trying to point out what makes this particular scenario even more ludicrous is the person clearly didn't consider that I might step on the gas a little. Based on what I was driving versus what they were driving, it didn't take much for me to thwart their passing attempt. If I was the one being a moron attempting to pass on solid double yellows in my German made sedan and let's say I had a corvette in front of me. I'd think gee that car can probably accelerate a lot quicker than mine and I doubt I'll be successful passing them if they decide to step on the gas some more.
How would you feel if you were the kid crossing the street that one of you hit after your little speeding adventure? It's not just you two out there on the road. I've had kids jump out in front of me on 30 mph double yellow roads before. I was lucky that I noticed the kid and had just enough time to stop. It still shook me. And I was not speeding or drag racing some even more aggressive driver. The kid was 100% in the wrong, but if I had hit her I would probably feel terrible about it forever. You were maybe 10% in the right in the situation you mentioned. If you don't take responsibility for that I sure hope you don't live anywhere near me.

The solution to aggressive Massachusetts drivers isn't more aggression. If someone is tailgating me I slow down until our now 8 wheeler is going a safe enough speed. Usually they get the idea and back off. If they don't and decide to pass me, I absolutely let them. Having a dangerous driver in front of me is a good thing, not a bad thing. And, since they're clearly going way faster than me, it doesn't even cost me any time.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:31 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
How would you feel if you were the kid crossing the street that one of you hit after your little speeding adventure? It's not just you two out there on the road. I've had kids jump out in front of me on 30 mph double yellow roads before. I was lucky that I noticed the kid and had just enough time to stop. It still shook me. And I was not speeding or drag racing some even more aggressive driver. The kid was 100% in the wrong, but if I had hit her I would probably feel terrible about it forever. You were maybe 10% in the right in the situation you mentioned. If you don't take responsibility for that I sure hope you don't live anywhere near me.

The solution to aggressive Massachusetts drivers isn't more aggression. If someone is tailgating me I slow down until our now 8 wheeler is going a safe enough speed. Usually they get the idea and back off. If they don't and decide to pass me, I absolutely let them. Having a dangerous driver in front of me is a good thing, not a bad thing. And, since they're clearly going way faster than me, it doesn't even cost me any time.
I was being tailgated hard as I was slowing way down on a quiet residential street and the old guy in the Audi behind me threw up his hands.

Then I turned into my driveway.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:55 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I was being tailgated hard as I was slowing way down on a quiet residential street and the old guy in the Audi behind me threw up his hands.

Then I turned into my driveway.
You would think people would limit their aggression the closer to their house they got. I think most do but not everyone. There must be something to the Germany luxury sedan stereotypes.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:48 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post

I've had folks cross the double yellow to pass me in residential neighborhoods because me doing 38MPH in a 35mph apparently wasn't fast enough for them.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
This speaks volumes about you. I think back to a few months ago when you posted about a lady hit while crossing the street and made a scathing comment about the driver before even knowing the facts of what happened. In this case your actions would be contributing to a crash because you went over the speed limit and tried to prevent the guy from passing you when it's not your business to do so.... but you would "feel fine." I'd feel like a POS. And rightfully so. And why would the loon expect you to accelerate if you were traveling at a certain speed all along? The reason is that he didn't factor into the equation that he was dealing with another loon.

It's not anyone's business to be passing on solid double yellows simply because they don't want to go at our around the posted speed limit. I did nothing to instigate the driver behind me but yet they want to put me and others in a dangerous situation but trying to pass on solid double yellows. So, I assessed my surroundings and deemed it safe enough for me to thwart their efforts where they had to get back behind me and go the posted speed limit again. It wasn't a drag race. Of course that would be terrible if they hit someone but they decide to play stupid games, they can win stupid prizes.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post

The situation you described above would truly be an unfortunate accident where you were not speeding nor dealing with a moron trying to pass you so I'd feel terrible about that forever too. However, if it is a moron who decides to pass on solid double yellows and they hit someone that's on them. I didn't tell or force them to do that, that's their poor decision. They're the ones who have to live with it. It may teach them the biggest lesson of their life. Who knows maybe they become one of those speakers who go around to high schools to tell their story to new drivers that road rage just isn't worth it and they had to learn their lesson the hard way.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
It's not anyone's business to be passing on solid double yellows simply because they don't want to go at our around the posted speed limit. I did nothing to instigate the driver behind me but yet they want to put me and others in a dangerous situation but trying to pass on solid double yellows. So, I assessed my surroundings and deemed it safe enough for me to thwart their efforts where they had to get back behind me and go the posted speed limit again. It wasn't a drag race. Of course that would be terrible if they hit someone but they decide to play stupid games, they can win stupid prizes.
They assessed their surroundings and decided to try and pass illegally. You assessed your surroundings and decided to (illegally) make a bad situation even worse. Once you decided to race them, you instigated it. Haven't even discussed the fact that the person could have been trying to go to the hospital for some reason, was in a panicked state because of a family member, or had some other issue going on. You never know what's going on with another person. Either way it's not your business to be trying to enforce laws with your car but it's clear you can do no wrong. I will admit I've done a number of maa sshole maneuvers during my life that I'm not proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts