Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2022, 01:24 PM

17 posts, read 21,503 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of sending my son to Xaverian because of the great Hockey and sports programs, however I have heard that Xaverian Brothers has a “Toxic culture” such as playing and using girls and bullying. This concerns me because I don’t want my son to become a jerk. Is this something I should be concerned about? I would appreciate information on Xaverian thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 01:44 PM

16,424 posts, read 8,233,962 times
Well Xaverian is all boys. I'm sure they're capable of finding girls elsewhere...but there are no girls in the school.

I think overall it's a good school. I think some racism things have come up recently though:

https://www.boston.com/news/high-sch...cist-incident/

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/...on/6646311001/

but those things happen at other schools too.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:51 PM

21,642 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Xaverian as of 10 years ago was considered pretty toxic and they absolutely are/were 'playas'/playboys. If you're hearing or fearing your son might become a jerk it's not for no reason. I'm telling you this as someone who went to an all-boys school in the area. Who else is telling you this?

The sports program is a breeding ground for this at any school and my school was not immune. But especially in Xaverian where I find the 'non-athletes' are very different than the athletes.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:44 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,361,251 times
You are far more responsible for your kids values than their school. If you enable your kid and let him believe he’s “the man” and facilitate that toxic thinking that’s what you’re going to end up with. For athletes that mindset is instilled in them at a young age. But the opposite is also true and there are many young athletes who use their skills and gifts in positive ways and realize that sports is often a means to an end for their future. As far as how they treat the opposite sex, good men don’t raise misogynist jerks they model and normalize appropriate behavior.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:57 PM

531 posts, read 426,516 times
Assuming the commute isn’t too far as it’s day students only, would you consider St. John’s Prep? My brother works there and said the young men are all very polite and respectful to the faculty and staff. Truthfully, he wasn’t too sure what to expect when he started, but said he was pleasantly surprised at how well-mannered and kind the students are.

I know of someone who went to Xaverian, (he was on the baseball team, I believe) and he too is a super nice guy. However, this was in the nineties, so I’m sure things could have changed since then.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:42 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
All my experiences were from the late 90's so not sure how relevant it would be for today. But I also weld to one of those all-male, catholic HS's.

I didn't see that sort of toxic culture. Out class was 75 students and there was no bullying or cliques. It was actually impressive how well everyone (non-athletes and athletes) got along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts