Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 02:24 PM

307 posts, read 164,059 times

Advertisements

Do nothing of you are selling now. Maybe give a credit for new carpets or just replace since carpet is an inexpensive update. Don't bother with anything else. Besides, it is still damn near impossible to get anyone available to do the work anytime earlier than 3-4 monthas and that is being hopeful. I was going to do the last bit of paint and wall repair this summer and the contractors I use are booked through December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 03:48 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
The thing is, you never know whether you will get a buyer who wants "turn-key, move-in-ready" condition and would be happy with whatever generic colors and styles are fashionable at this moment, or a buyer who has their own taste and intends to repaint, change flooring, etc. before moving in.

I assume there are some of both types of buyers in most areas. Where I live, the market has been very hot (just starting to level off now), and it's been years since any of our neighbors have bothered to fix anything up before selling. Every single time, the new owners have spent a month making changes before they move in, anyway. So if it were me, I'd figure out how much money it would take to make any renovations that your realtor is suggesting, and take that much off the price. It works out to exactly the same thing in the end but is easier for you.

Old 07-03-2022, 02:06 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,729,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The thing is, you never know whether you will get a buyer who wants "turn-key, move-in-ready" condition and would be happy with whatever generic colors and styles are fashionable at this moment, or a buyer who has their own taste and intends to repaint, change flooring, etc. before moving in.

I assume there are some of both types of buyers in most areas. Where I live, the market has been very hot (just starting to level off now), and it's been years since any of our neighbors have bothered to fix anything up before selling. Every single time, the new owners have spent a month making changes before they move in, anyway. So if it were me, I'd figure out how much money it would take to make any renovations that your realtor is suggesting, and take that much off the price. It works out to exactly the same thing in the end but is easier for you.
I think it's expected in New England that most houses are old and need work. The only ones in turn key condition are new constructions that go for 1.2mil+. The average buyer can't afford that.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:36 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,750 times
In the last 8 weeks I’ve personally bought and sold several properties. I had been researching and tracking transactions since last fall.

Things changed dramatically early this winter. We all know it was a frenzy.

At the under $500k pricepoint, cosmetic fixer uppers went quickly.

Those that required skilled labor (foundation issues, possible contaminant mitigation, septic etc) did not.

Over $500k they sat, but those that looked move in ready, sold quickly and at or above ask.

The market has turned again and the frenzy has died down.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:11 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterTrees View Post
Do nothing of you are selling now. Maybe give a credit for new carpets or just replace since carpet is an inexpensive update. Don't bother with anything else. Besides, it is still damn near impossible to get anyone available to do the work anytime earlier than 3-4 monthas and that is being hopeful. I was going to do the last bit of paint and wall repair this summer and the contractors I use are booked through December.
This is a smart strategy given the lack of available labor.

Just FYI if you're considering doing renovations to your house before you list, there are three brokerages (at least that I know of) that offer no cost loans you can take out to renovate and/or stage your house and you pay it back at closing. I don't know the ins and outs of all three programs in detail but of course in order to get the loan you have to list with an agent associated with that brokerage. The three I'm aware of are:

-Keller Wiliams
-Compass
-Wiliam Raveis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
In the last 8 weeks I’ve personally bought and sold several properties. I had been researching and tracking transactions since last fall.

Things changed dramatically early this winter. We all know it was a frenzy.

At the under $500k pricepoint, cosmetic fixer uppers went quickly.

Those that required skilled labor (foundation issues, possible contaminant mitigation, septic etc) did not.

Over $500k they sat, but those that looked move in ready, sold quickly and at or above ask.

The market has turned again and the frenzy has died down.
I don't know where these properties are but most of the country is still in a seller's market. It's just not the absolutely bonkers seller's market we were in a few months ago, but demand still outpaces supply in most markets. Even in a strong seller's market, it can be difficult to sell a house that needs a lot of work especially if it's not priced appropriately.

Old 07-05-2022, 11:07 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I don't know where these properties are but most of the country is still in a seller's market. It's just not the absolutely bonkers seller's market we were in a few months ago, but demand still outpaces supply in most markets. Even in a strong seller's market, it can be difficult to sell a house that needs a lot of work especially if it's not priced appropriately.
My town is socioeconomically mixed. The working class inventory isn’t selling. My take is that the lower the income of the buyer, the more interest rate sensitive it is. Metro Boston incomes are so high that you’re not seeing it. Down here in the economic wasteland of the South Coast, it’s already happening. Here, upper middle class housing and anything a vacation home buyer would want is still going under contract in days. There is still a big demand from out of town buyers.

I suspect “most of the country” is shifting pretty quickly since most of the country doesn’t have Boston’s high income buyers.

Old 07-05-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
This is a smart strategy given the lack of available labor.

Just FYI if you're considering doing renovations to your house before you list, there are three brokerages (at least that I know of) that offer no cost loans you can take out to renovate and/or stage your house and you pay it back at closing. I don't know the ins and outs of all three programs in detail but of course in order to get the loan you have to list with an agent associated with that brokerage. The three I'm aware of are:

-Keller Wiliams
-Compass
-Wiliam Raveis

South Shore. Realtors were dead wrong on pricing on all 3. One went for way over, one went for way under and one went for leas than predicted but more than expected. We were on the positive side of all transactions.

Old 07-05-2022, 03:09 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My town is socioeconomically mixed. The working class inventory isn’t selling. My take is that the lower the income of the buyer, the more interest rate sensitive it is. Metro Boston incomes are so high that you’re not seeing it. Down here in the economic wasteland of the South Coast, it’s already happening. Here, upper middle class housing and anything a vacation home buyer would want is still going under contract in days. There is still a big demand from out of town buyers.

I suspect “most of the country” is shifting pretty quickly since most of the country doesn’t have Boston’s high income buyers.
Yeah. Market trends definitely tend to hit Boston and the area inside 128/95 last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
South Shore. Realtors were dead wrong on pricing on all 3. One went for way over, one went for way under and one went for leas than predicted but more than expected. We were on the positive side of all transactions.
Well, sounds like at least you knew what you were doing even if your agent(s) didn't.

Old 07-10-2022, 07:24 PM

18 posts, read 10,978 times
Thanks guys - OP here. Reading through all of these replies kind of confirmed what I was thinking, which is to do nothing other than paint, clean, and declutter. While our house search has not gotten us any closer to a house, yet, LOL, (but that’s another topic for another time), the market in our current town is still sizzling hot. Of course no telling what will happen down the road but unless something shifts in a major way I don’t think a little ugly carpet or wood kitchen cabinets should deter anyone from this place.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:05 AM

Keep us posted. I’d love to know the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts