Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 08:49 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Any Block Island stickers (so what abbreviation is that? BI, or maybe their airport code?) out there?
The block island sticker is a circle with the shape of block island. I see them here and there.

Here is one example for sale

Around me, the most common circle stickers I see are for elementary schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 08:56 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post

Never been to Nantucket myself, I'm saving my pennies for Naushon Island.

I'm on Naushon quite a few times in the summer. There's a nice small beach on the Buzzards Bay side of Robinson's Hole I've always used. You can go to the high tide mark if you're fishing, fowling, or navigating. I've spent dozens of nights anchored in Tarpaulin Cove on the Vineyard Sound side. Hadley's is a really popular anchorage.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:23 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post

Never been to Nantucket myself, I'm saving my pennies for Naushon Island.
Can you go there? I thought the island was privately owned?

Old 07-06-2022, 10:36 AM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
MV is not particularly different in terms of class affordability. Nantucket is a beautifully preserved preppie theme park, with fantastic beaches and the closest brush with the warm waters of the Gulf Stream in the Northeast USA. It's a perfect example of the boom-bust-boom cycle of historical preservation of many New England towns and cities. In its heyday, it was the Abu Dhabi of what might be called the Whale Oil "Emirates" (the various whale oil ports of the Northeast); it had the ability to remain neutral in the War of 1812. Then it went into such a steep decline, and was so remote from the mainland, that there was no point of redeveloping it, and by the time it became a fashionable resort again between the World Wars, it's amberlike quality became its draw and meal-ticket.

Less well known is that, while settled from Massachusetts Bay, Nantucket's corporate status started out as a county of the New York colony, along with Dukes County (which was part of a matched set with Kings County and Queens County).

Of the main Islands along the southern New England coast*, I like Block Island best. The commercial strip there is so tiny as to make it much less attractive to daytrippers on a mission to acquire more stuff.

* From west to east: Fishers, Block, Cuttyhunk (the rest of the Elizabeth Islands being off limits to the general public), MV and Nantucket. Fishers is part of New York and, while accessible to the public, it's so Very Old & Discreet Money that it's purposely kept to be uninteresting to anyone who doesn't have a connection there.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Can you go there? I thought the island was privately owned?
Along with all but two of the Elizabeth Islands, it's owned by the Forbes clan.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:46 AM

[quote=masssachoicetts;63750220]I don't see the joys of Nantucket. Martha's Vineyard? Yes. Cape Cod? Meh, in parts.

A severely underrated, charming, fun and just all around awesome place to go is the Jersey Shore.

Each town is different and the towns of Ocean Grove, Stone Harbor, Cape May, Cape May Point and Sea Bright remind me of a Nantucket-ish vibe.

Jersey Shore is a really good alternative to the Cape and Nantucket, every year I convince a few new New Englanders head on South for a few days. "

Unfortunately, most of the Southern Jersey Shore is packed with generic in-fill ripped right out of Coastal Living. But the compensation is Philadelphia-oriented foods, which are fantastic.

Cape May is a special case: just two blocks in from Ocean Avenue, it's mostly very middle class homes from the 20th century, and it appears it's been able to stay mostly that way because tear-down-and-rebuilds are exorbitantly dear because you'd have to build flow-through first-floors, et cet. (some have been done). What Nantucket is for early 19th century preservation, Cape May is for post-WW2 seaside resort preservation.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:01 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
I only visited Nantucket twice, first time as a kid in the late 60s and second time about 1986, possibly 1987.

I’ve been to MV many more times than that and enjoyed it more, riding my bike around the bigger island.

Could the snob thing be a holdover from the days of whaling captain’s homes or some other class-denoting symbol? Like Victorian houses in other seaports? The incredibly detailed craftsmanship, some of it similar that seen on wooden ships, had to have been extremely expensive and time-intensive.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:11 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I only visited Nantucket twice, first time as a kid in the late 60s and second time about 1986, possibly 1987.

I’ve been to MV many more times than that and enjoyed it more, riding my bike around the bigger island.

Could the snob thing be a holdover from the days of whaling captain’s homes or some other class-denoting symbol? Like Victorian houses in other seaports? The incredibly detailed craftsmanship, some of it similar that seen on wooden ships, had to have been extremely expensive and time-intensive.
Yes, I'm guessing that's where some of the snobbery comes from. The whaling days. It just has a very quintessential blue blood brahmin feel. I feel like Boston has kind of moved on from those days and is pretty open minded to all who visit/pass through...but not Nantucket. I was actually shocked to see hired help/nannies (many of them black women) following around expensively dressed moms with kids in tow. It just had a really weird vibe. Like oh I'm on vacation with my kids but I still need my mammy behind me to pick up the trash and do whatever I don't want to do as we walk.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:22 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
MV is not particularly different in terms of class affordability.
So billionaires own the gingerbread cottages in Oak Bluffs? Who knew?

There are lots of middle class families who own houses on the Vineyard. They bought long before prices there went nuts. It’s not affordable if you’re buying now. It was a different story if you were buying in 2010. An OB cottage in 2012 was sub-$300k.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:29 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So billionaires own the gingerbread cottages in Oak Bluffs? Who knew?

There are lots of middle class families who own houses on the Vineyard. They bought long before prices there went nuts. It’s not affordable if you’re buying now. It was a different story if you were buying in 2010. An OB cottage in 2012 was sub-$300k.
True. Two of the people I know whose grandparents own homes on Nantucket were probably upper class when they bought the homes at the time. They weren't anywhere near what they'd cost today.

It's crazy but I know a few folks who own multiple homes on Nantucket. One family they were purchased in the 70's/80's, another purchased 2 in around 2015 then again in 2017 and is building a 3rd. I couldn't even imagine....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts