Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 08:05 PM

28 posts, read 20,252 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the Boston area!

I was interested if anyone knew of which K-12 public schools in the Boston area include Marine Biology focused programs, extra-curricular activities/clubs? I read a small article about MIT partnering with local Boston schools with its Sea Grant program/Blue Lobster Bowl? Maybe other universities in the area as well may offer similar offerings?

I have a science & marine life loving child who would thrive in a STEM oriented school with the added bonus of Marine Biology opportunities! He is still in Elementary school, we are both working parents, so access to fun summer camps/after school programs would be amazing.

Extra, extra bonus: Family friendly, welcoming, husband and I are both 35 - I will be working in the FD 3x a week and hoping for under an hour commute, if possible!

Thank you so much for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 08:13 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,792,261 times
Better ask what the budget is.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:59 PM

Buying: < 1.2 - 20%+ down.

If the inventory stays low, we most likely will need find a short term rental. From what I have been reading, rentals properties are also in short supply. Our home is not yet on the market, so we have some time.

Old 07-14-2022, 03:37 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,938,811 times
I'm not aware of anything at the high school level. At the University level, Northeastern University has a Marine Science Center located in Hahant. The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute is significantly bigger but also not very close to metro Boston.

Any high school program would likely at least interact with one of those two institutions, so they may be able to give better information.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:50 AM

1,902 posts, read 1,411,303 times
A few of our neighbors have been ambassadors and had high school internships at the New England Aquarium (in Boston). One of them went on to marine biology study at university.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:58 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,134,280 times
I don't know for sure but I'd probably start with towns on the South Shore. Nothing wrong with North Shore towns but if you're commuting by train, North Station is a lot farther from financial district than South Station.

Edit: I just took a look at Blue Lobster Bowl's website...top 3 finishers in 2021 were Lexington High School A, Lexington High School B, and Lincoln-Sudbury A...towns nowhere near the ocean so nevermind!

Last edited by simplexsimon; 07-14-2022 at 07:06 AM..

Old 07-14-2022, 09:01 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,918,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I don't know for sure but I'd probably start with towns on the South Shore. Nothing wrong with North Shore towns but if you're commuting by train, North Station is a lot farther from financial district than South Station.

Edit: I just took a look at Blue Lobster Bowl's website...top 3 finishers in 2021 were Lexington High School A, Lexington High School B, and Lincoln-Sudbury A...towns nowhere near the ocean so nevermind!
Well they all have VACATION homes on the ocean

Its like Marblehead winning the state championship in Skiing. (Its not because of Mt. Marblehead)

Old 07-14-2022, 01:04 PM

Haha it surprised me too! On paper Hingham looks great and checks off a lot of boxes with being near the coast and easyish access to Boston via rail.....but I think the community (based on the reviews) would be a little too intense for us? We are pretty laid back - so I was looking at Norwell or on the other side, Hopkinton?

Any other suggestions would be great!

Old 07-14-2022, 01:25 PM

6,470 posts, read 7,813,323 times
Call the Woods Hole Oceonographic Institute and explore their website. Tons of resources and your best bet for Marine Biology in MA.

https://www.whoi.edu/

Best of luck and welcome.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:49 PM

12,567 posts, read 9,654,327 times
I don't know if you parents will be working in Boston/Cambridge or will have some flexibility? As several people have mentioned, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute is a prominent institution on the Cape. While students below the university level aren't ready to do studies at Woods Hole, it looks like they do some forms of outreach to students at all levels - maybe nearby towns like Falmouth and Mashpee are more likely to do, e.g. field trips to Woods Hole or have a guest speaker come by - these interactions can be inspirational. Moreover, if you're really curious about marine life, and you live there, the marine life is actually all around you - you can do things like clamming, fishing, get a recreational or student lobstering permit and catch lobsters... don't need to eat your subjects, it can all be "catch and release" if desired... you can learn about stuff like the importance of salt marsh and eelgrass beds and the role of estuaries as nurseries, anadromous fish migration and lifecycle, etc etc etc. You can of course read about these things or hear lectures, which is good, but having access to that classroom material and being able to actually *see and in some cases touch* the marine life and their habitats, habits, interactions, ecological niches, etc can make it all more meaningful and enjoyable.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-14-2022 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts