Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2022, 11:17 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Saving for retirement is smart of course, but sometimes I wonder if people are over doing it. So many people do have parents die and leave them things that they dont take into account...many people are living longer but plenty of people arent. I would just hate to have a generation of people who spent hardly anything on the present because they were so consumed with saving for when they're in their 70s/80s. Obviously people who have nothing saved are in trouble...but if you have millions in your 401k when you're 38 i think you can relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 11:19 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I guess i read that wrong. I have no idea who forgoes what. I sometimes look at people's spending habits and wonder how they have money left over for anything else.

and yes i do know women who seem to spend everything on their appearance. There's an old Audrey Hepburn/Breakfast at tiffany scene/quote: "Where's all your money?" Her reply: "It's on my face"
We could probably start a whole other thread on just Botox/appearance upkeep. When I'm out and about I do observe some older women who certainly look great for their age. Maybe they've had work done, maybe they haven't and it is hard to discern. However, there are others who glaringly stand out as overdone and it just makes them look silly. First you notice the overfilled cheeks and way too tight of a face but then take a quick glance at their hands and it doesn't add up. A hair salon on the north shore I used to go to had a receptionist that fit this bill. If I had to guess I'd say she was in her early to mid 50's but it almost looked painful for her to talk her face was so taught. Maybe that was one of the perks of her job, discounted Botox and filler!

Old 09-19-2022, 11:27 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
We could probably start a whole other thread on just Botox/appearance upkeep. When I'm out and about I do observe some older women who certainly look great for their age. Maybe they've had work done, maybe they haven't and it is hard to discern. However, there are others who glaringly stand out as overdone and it just makes them look silly. First you notice the overfilled cheeks and way too tight of a face but then take a quick glance at their hands and it doesn't add up. A hair salon on the north shore I used to go to had a receptionist that fit this bill. If I had to guess I'd say she was in her early to mid 50's but it almost looked painful for her to talk her face was so taught. Maybe that was one of the perks of her job, discounted Botox and filler!
i agree. I'm not happy that botox/filler are becoming more mainstream because i think it does put pressure on others to get it. It's kind of like gray hair. Most women feel the need to cover it up when/if they get it. Now the same can be said for wrinkles. Gotta fill those in now too or else you'll be the old looking one. If you have great genes I guess you dont need to worry about it. I see women younger than me who have more wrinkles than i do. I'm not saying that to gloat, but I've been careful about going in the sun and that's really what does it. My friends who spent time tanning in their 20's wish they didn't now. It's not just wrinkles but things like age spots, discoloration. All things that can be costly to fix and keep up with

Old 09-19-2022, 11:31 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Maybe keeping ones looks is more important then retirement saving. Or they have a husband that takes care of retirement while they take care of their appearance. I'm not sure why that concept would be surprising to anyone.
They may also have a wife that cares of retirement while the husband takes care of their appearance. Let's not make assumptions.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:35 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
they were likely referring to podcasts instead of radio. the younger generation doesn't listen to radio period, broadcast or otherwise.
That was me and yes I was referring to podcasts and I don't subscribe to any of the pay ones. And I'm far from the younger generation - those would be my kids and they listen to music via Spotify which they feel is worth $10 a month. All my recent cars have come with a SiriusXM trial and never felt it was worth having.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:40 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Most people make the most money in their careers in their 40s.

What?

Old 09-19-2022, 12:54 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Cars, phone plans, cable are considered basics I would say. The type of car someone buys is certainly going to vary. I think most people try to buy a safe car that has room when they have kids and often times this equals expensive.

I've cut down on going out to eat and take out. It just isn't worth it anymore. We go out like once a week.

I do think vacations are important, not necessarily a basic but still something families should be able to do. The cost of hotels has become pretty depressing. Even booking a trip to NH or VT these days seems far more expensive than it used to be. It's all about supply and demand I guess.

Meal delivery subscriptions seem dumb to me. Just find recipes online, buy food at the grocery store and cook.

Other costly things are clothing. I am shocked by what clothes cost these days even at places like Marshalls and Tj Max. Even more shocked when I see families of 5 or 6 constantly sporting vineyard vines, lulu lemon, multiple Canada goose jackets. I mean that stuff really adds up. There's really no deals to be had with clothing anymore. I remember going to Filene's basement with my mom as a kid and you could find deals...but i guess too many people found out about the deals. No more.

I've discussed this before here but things like botox and filler which many women get these days add up as well. That's on top of hair, nails, skin/makeup products and gym memberships. Many people get facials and massages too.

Kids sports...especially hockey which is popular in MA.

So yeah things add up and i can see if you feel pressured into certain things your 250k salaries will have you living paycheck to paycheck easily.
It seems like all your posts are centering around what other people spend. Does it cost you a penny if your neighbor has a cleaning lady, goes to the gym, gets her hair done, gets spa treatments and has Canadian goose jacket.
Everything has gone up so have vacations.
Please enjoy that you have a husband, healthy kids, jobs and a home. Quit being green eyed and life is a lot easier. Share what you have and enjoy doing so.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:16 PM

129 posts, read 108,027 times
I am house hunting in Western MA and it is still very competitive. We have lost out on 6 offers, all over asking price. Anything that doesn't need much work is still flying off the market. Hope it stops so I can buy.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:25 PM

721 posts, read 996,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboucher33 View Post
I am house hunting in Western MA and it is still very competitive. We have lost out on 6 offers, all over asking price. Anything that doesn't need much work is still flying off the market. Hope it stops so I can buy.
I too am looking in western MA. Where are you looking? Everything is so pricey, I was pretty shocked. I figured things would be unaffordable east of 495 but not west. Ugh.

And yes, they are flying off the market. I am taking a step back for a bit because it is so stressful. I am still seeing bidding wars especially under 400k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:25 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
I'd be looking at this or this in Colorado - hours from jobs/culture/healthcare/education/museums/etc. and in Boebert's district to boot.

I moved from Boston to mountain Colorado in 2018. And yes, I'm in the benighted Boebert district. Not a plus.

Leadville and places like it are accessible to world-famous ski slopes. So far from the city or not, people are going to pay to live nearby.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts