Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 05:00 AM

7,928 posts, read 7,828,278 times

Advertisements

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...quare/2827229/

This is probably one of the only reasons that I would ever go to Boston is to see this club. I've been to it it was very interesting I gladly go to it again. If this isn't there it gives me much less of a sense of going there. A hotel doesn't add that much for Value especially in light of all the airbnbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 07:17 AM

6,141 posts, read 5,116,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

This is probably one of the only reasons that I would ever go to Boston is to see this club. I've been to it it was very interesting I gladly go to it again. If this isn't there it gives me much less of a sense of going there. A hotel doesn't add that much for Value especially in light of all the airbnbs
I heard about this yesterday. Even though they're planning to replace the music venue, a hotel would take away from the character of that whole block IMO. One of the more funky sections of Cambridge.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:33 AM

12,877 posts, read 22,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I heard about this yesterday. Even though they're planning to replace the music venue, a hotel would take away from the character of that whole block IMO. One of the more funky sections of Cambridge.
Yeah, we've seen this film before (New apartments replacing Machine and Baseball Tavern in Fenway, new lab replacing Sligo and potentially The Burren in Davis Square, etc.). Architecturally, there's nothing significant about that cluster of 1-story buildings, but architecture doesn't always define character. Even if the new hotel has a new music venue, it'll be infinitely more sterile. It's one of the most unique pockets of metro Boston and I'd hate to see it go.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:02 AM

Cambridge certainly has more of a "feel" to it. Northampton also gives me a bit of that and so does New Haven. If it takes apart what was there for decades or generations I'd argue it's historical to a point. It doesn't have to be hundreds of years old.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:15 AM

23,641 posts, read 18,764,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
new lab replacing Sligo and potentially The Burren in Davis Square, etc.).

WHAT???

Old 09-07-2022, 08:34 AM

12,877 posts, read 22,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
WHAT???
The current proposal looks to preserve it, but I'll believe that when the building is complete and The Burren is still operating. It does displace Sligo, McKinnon's, and several other businesses. Another example of a not-so-pretty one-story cluster of businesses that are a lot more valuable than buildings that house them.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:33 PM

31 posts, read 16,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

This is really, really, really, short sighted. The Middle East and the surround music night clubs should have been added to the Historical Registry and kept in place.. the secret to the success of MIT and Harvard and surrounding area, is the intersection of culture, socializing, money, and education.

Old 09-29-2022, 10:34 AM

21,669 posts, read 12,818,204 times
All I care about is the music venue. So if they're replacing that with something new its fine by me...keep booking the same type of acts. Who cares if its a hotel or not?

Old 09-30-2022, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
All I care about is the music venue. So if they're replacing that with something new its fine by me...keep booking the same type of acts. Who cares if its a hotel or not?
It's the look and feel of the place. So much of this country and so much of the state and region is Cookie Cutter suburbs with generic structures. You're actually replacing the way the building is. If a place says Middle East and the building looks like it came from the Middle East it's more authentic.

The concept of theming is pretty important in terms of entertainment. For example if I go to Gateway city arts in Holyoke they have a check restaurant there and they have this nice beer type of garden set out and it feels like you're in another country. If you replace that with takeout it eliminates any of the ambiance abs the atmosphere.

Now I don't think that you could call this historic within the same ways of what is usually a historical building or structure in Massachusetts let alone New England but it has been around for quite some time

Old 09-30-2022, 06:48 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,408,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepumpkinman View Post
the secret to the success of MIT and Harvard and surrounding area, is the intersection of culture, socializing, money, and education.
The secret to success of MIT is Central Square?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts