Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tax on Income Above $1 Million for Education and Transportation Amendment
Yes 21 52.50%
No 19 47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 07:09 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,075,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingotherthings View Post
What is the moral justification for voting to take more money from people just because they earned a lot of it? My family is nowhere near $1M HHI mark, but the idea that anyone has a moral entitlement to anyone else's income doesn't sit right with me.

Those of you voting yes, would you also vote yes to a measure that increased taxes on yourself to transfer more resources to those with lower incomes than you?

If you vote yes on this but stop short of calling for uniformly equal wealth distribution, then where do you draw the line and on what principle?

Because it’s very easy to be generous with someone else’s money, of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 03:49 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,128,789 times
Quote:
What is the moral justification for voting to take more money from people just because they earned a lot of it? My family is nowhere near $1M HHI mark, but the idea that anyone has a moral entitlement to anyone else's income doesn't sit right with me.

Those of you voting yes, would you also vote yes to a measure that increased taxes on yourself to transfer more resources to those with lower incomes than you?

If you vote yes on this but stop short of calling for uniformly equal wealth distribution, then where do you draw the line and on what principle?
I believe the line here is $1 million. When I make over $1 million, I'll pay it.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:27 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:

we reasonably expect people not to be unreasonably selfish. You're always on the receiving end of "someone elses" money whenever you receive or utilize a public good. This is an illogical argument.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:36 AM

5,118 posts, read 2,677,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
we reasonably expect people not to be unreasonably selfish. You're always on the receiving end of "someone elses" money whenever you receive or utilize a public good. This is an illogical argument.
Yes but some contribute more to the public good than do others. Few cannot, many choose to take more than they give back. In short, lots of selfishness in this society. It's not unreasonable to question where your tax dollars are going and it's not unreasonable to object or ask questions when you believe tax increases are not justified. Also, most people are not the future benefactors of their mommy and daddy's wealth. What they have, is what they earn. Who are you to say they are unreasonable if they have issues with how much of it is taken from them?

Old 10-25-2022, 07:58 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
Right but some of the ways how spending has not been allocated make little sense. Consider some of the basics here. Having a flat income tax is one thing that keeps things a bit in check. CT used to be flat but it's nearly as complicated as the federal tax. If we start talking about an extra 4% on a million who is to say that it won't drop to 750K in another five years? CT income tax was said to be temporary and then became permanent.

1) Why are used products charged sales tax?

2) Why are sales taxes going to the MBTA despite the fact that no one west of Worcester has access?

The argument usually is we need more money for education and transit. Well obviously other RTAs are underfunded when sales taxes are allocated to the MBTA instead of equally among the RTA's. Education? Make more of it online. Get the top level 1 schools to make videos of content and teach level 4 and 5's. I'm not saying classrooms of 60+ kids but if the content is there just share it.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:59 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Yes but some contribute more to the public good than do others. Few cannot, many choose to take more than they give back. In short, lots of selfishness in this society. It's not unreasonable to question where your tax dollars are going and it's not unreasonable to object or ask questions when you believe tax increases are not justified. Also, most people are not the future benefactors of their mommy and daddy's wealth. What they have, is what they earn. Who are you to say they are unreasonable if they have issues with how much of it is taken from them?
Maybe in tax money but does what they do to garner a $1M income actually contribute more to the public good than a plumber of massage therapist? That’s highly debatable.

They can have an issue but the point of the tax is to work against selfishness. If your pro-selfishness than just say that- but your in the minority. I have gripes with lot of things questions about lots of things I don’t reasonably expect policy to fall in line with me?

You’ll never know where your actual identifiable dollar goes to, if you somehow did- you’d probably be a Scrooge. Not the worst thing to be but it’s a thing

Old 10-25-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Maybe in tax money but does what they do to garner a $1M income actually contribute more to the public good than a plumber of massage therapist? That’s highly debatable.

They can have an issue but the point of the tax is to work against selfishness. If your pro-selfishness than just say that- but your in the minority. I have gripes with lot of things questions about lots of things I don’t reasonably expect policy to fall in line with me?

You’ll never know where your actual identifiable dollar goes to, if you somehow did- you’d probably be a Scrooge. Not the worst thing to be but it’s a thing
Nah, the point of the tax is so selfish people can $hit themselves into thinking they aren't selfish because they support taking other people's money.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:23 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
When I make over $1 million, I'll pay it.
Funny how it always works like that.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Right but some of the ways how spending has not been allocated make little sense. Consider some of the basics here. Having a flat income tax is one thing that keeps things a bit in check. CT used to be flat but it's nearly as complicated as the federal tax. If we start talking about an extra 4% on a million who is to say that it won't drop to 750K in another five years? CT income tax was said to be temporary and then became permanent.

1) Why are used products charged sales tax?

2) Why are sales taxes going to the MBTA despite the fact that no one west of Worcester has access?

The argument usually is we need more money for education and transit. Well obviously other RTAs are underfunded when sales taxes are allocated to the MBTA instead of equally among the RTA's. Education? Make more of it online. Get the top level 1 schools to make videos of content and teach level 4 and 5's. I'm not saying classrooms of 60+ kids but if the content is there just share it.
Actually, I like the national sales tax for fed income tax. Your tax is based on consumption. It also tacitly encourages savings. At the state level I'd iike to see something that also takes consumption into account but a basic flat tax is certainly better thn what we have now I think.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 10-25-2022 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-25-2022, 02:17 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,075,529 times
Quote:
So homie, is it logical to demand someone else who utilized $10K worth of public good and already pays $100,000 worth of taxes based on current tax laws pays even more while you utilize the same $10,000 worth but only pay $1,000?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts