Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 08:37 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times

Advertisements

What about it's neighbor to the north, the town of Avon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 08:00 AM

959 posts, read 538,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
brockton public schools score an "A" in the diversity category on niche.com
It must be a great place to live then.

Joking. We lived in Easton in 2000-2002, our son played squirt hockey for Brockton Boxers.
Even though town had questionable reputation it didn’t feel unsafe.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:27 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Time to go solar. That won't help with gas prices though.

Old 09-26-2022, 11:56 AM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Time to go solar. That won't help with gas prices though.
Obviously, you posted in the wrong thread.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:02 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I left Ma many, many years ago, and visited for the last time in 1990.
Born in Brockton, and raised in Avon, I wonder how these areas have changed over the years.
I have heard terrible things about Brockton, and it breaks my heart to hear of it's decline.
Avon being such a small town, I can't imagine it changing much, but one never knows.

I googled my old homestead in Avon, and it no longer exist.
A huge raised ranch now sits on that property on Page street.
So what have I missed in all these years?
Brockton is certainly mostly Black (predominately Haitian and Cape Verdean but also other blacks) but it's improved a lot since 2015. Including Cape Verdeans the city is 51% black it has more home purchases by blacks than Boston (7x its size) Crime is way down, and poverty isn't all that bad. Just needs some beautification. Really improved recently, with new apartments downtown and a new Brockton Beer Company brewery downtown.

Avon also has a lot of black residents, but it's still middle class. Most students in Avon Public Schools are Black or Latino now. Looks more rundown than the average suburban town, but As far as I know it's alright.

Both towns have grown considerably since 1990- between the two of them they've added 15,000+ people.

Brockton football team is no longer relevant It began waning around 2005, but its accelerated since 2012. Theyre rarely top 20/25.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:06 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Randolph native here... like right on the border of Avon and Holbrook. Yeah, that part of Randolph. Formerly known as South Randolph. The downtown kids. The Martin E Young kids. F Donavan (Okay, I'm getting carried away...lol)

Brockton has improved tremendously since 2015. Like BBMM said... its a very different place than 10 years ago in a good way.

As has Randolph, which was on the rougher side from about 1998 to like 2017sh. Randolph looks amazing compared to what it looked like in 2010. I'm proud of it.

Avon hasn't changed.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:14 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Avon is now home to IKEA, that's the only significant change I can think of.
Technically Ikea is right across the border in Stoughton. The Costco across the parking lot is in Avon though

Old 09-28-2022, 05:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Brockton has improved tremendously since 2015. Like BBMM said... its a very different place than 10 years ago in a good way.
Other than peeling off Route 24 to do a quick grocery shop at Market Basket and Aldi, I haven’t been in Brockton in ages. I speculated here years ago that the commuter rail would cause a lot of demand for middle class housing as people got priced out elsewhere. I was shouted down at the time. The only families I know in Brockton are Cape Verdean and they’re pretty prosperous. With does “a very different place from 10 years ago” mean?

Old 09-28-2022, 06:06 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
The only real problem with the commuter rail is that they made three stops. They could have had more development with one instead of spreading it out. I've argued for years that Brockton could host a multi university dorm due to the rail and bus lines. Students want an urban area, there's space and there's transit, should be an easy sell. The park has serious potential but little investment there's no reason why you can't have a REI in the area. The mall is very clean but also empty. They miss having a movie theater but it's hard to do that with Randolph so close.

If there is an area nearby in bad shape that's Holbrook. Hardly any tax base and they actually want a trash dump to open...

the other thing I'd point out about Brockton and to a point Taunton is these are inland cities. Usually urbanization focused on rivers as they were highways before highways. Then canals happened etc. If we look at Springfield there's the river and if we look at Lowell/lawrence/lynn there's water. The population growth also shifted. Brockton stood out 100 or so years ago because it was the highest populated area but gradually suburbs grew.It's to the point now where five or six towns is the same population. Basically what I'm saying is no one on the south shore says they are in the "Brockton metro area". The name has been taken off even on newspapers and it was never large enough to support say a tv station back in the day (radio is anywhere). I think they could have done better if they adopted CPA.

Prova is a great start but it needs to also try to link the parks with the museum

Last edited by mdovell; 09-28-2022 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: adding more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts