Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 08:03 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am a leaf slacker. I do rake them up, but I do it once, after all the leaves have fallen, in November with a rake. To be honest, I don't see leaves as unsightly - to me it's beautiful autumn nature. I do rake them up before winter because they can suffocate plants underneath after they become wet and matted over time.
That's one of the main reasons I clean them up as I don't want them to suffocate plants and grass underneath. I'm also a bit of a neat freak so you won't be seeing brush piles,matted piles of leaves, weeds, rusty buckets, wood pallets, old tires, plastic tarps ,etc in my yard. I also like to keep areas picked up and free of piles in order to minimize rodent activity near the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Tall fences make good neighbors.

I abide by the "if it's on my lawn it's my problem" school of leaf disposal. I would never blow leaves onto someone else's property, even if it's blowing them "back" to where they may have been at one point. I'm also no fastidious about having a leaf free lawn (I mostly want to avoid killing my lawn in the spring), so that's a lower bar to clear than someone who needs perfect order in their yard.
Unfortunately very close to the property line are some old, very tall pines that are rooted in the neighbor's yard. If I were to put a fence up and one of those pine limbs or the whole tree comes down and crashes the fence then have to get that repaired. If those trees weren't there, believe me, I would have had a fence up a long time ago. Just don't want to chance spending the money on it only to have a tree or limb come down and damage it, then I'm the one who has to pay to have not only the tree or limb removed but also my fence repaired. That's another topic for debate, tree maintenance. People just don't seem to do proper maintenance to the trees on their property. They let limbs brush up on their roof, things get way overgrown, keep dangerous decaying trees around. Who wants to pay the money on something like tree maintenance that costs thousands when you can use that for a vaca or whatever? I get it but at the same time, one of those things comes down and it's close to your house it's gonna cost a lot more in money and aggravation fixing everything!

Old 10-21-2022, 08:18 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The neighbor across the lane is out there with his John Deere 3 days per week from April to November. At this time of year, there isn't a leaf on his lawn after he's done. He hauls dozens of paper lawn bags to the town yard waste/brush disposal site.
This describes my neighbor. He does leaf cleanup nearly every day, so I feel like the lazy one. Luckily there is a stone fence between our two properties, but we each have a couple of acres (both of us back to woods) with many trees in our yards. He's the only neighbor we can see and I admit that I keep that side of my lawn more tidy in the fall so he doesn't get irritated. We typically do 3 rounds of leaf cleanup between October and November, but compared to his daily maintenance our yard always looks worse.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
This describes my neighbor. He does leaf cleanup nearly every day, so I feel like the lazy one. Luckily there is a stone fence between our two properties, but we each have a couple of acres (both of us back to woods) with many trees in our yards. He's the only neighbor we can see and I admit that I keep that side of my lawn more tidy in the fall so he doesn't get irritated. We typically do 3 rounds of leaf cleanup between October and November, but compared to his daily maintenance our yard always looks worse.
It doesn't sound like you're lazy! Sounds like you're a considerate one. I'd love to have a neighbor like you, that at least makes an effort!

Old 10-21-2022, 05:31 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
They never do a clean up! I've seen the guy break out his mower a total of 3 times since April! They aren't elderly either, I'd guess 33-35 year olds. I get not everyone is a yard fanatic but to me that is just plain being a lazy a**
He is lazy. I wouldn't feel guilty about blowing them back.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:30 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
They never do a clean up! I've seen the guy break out his mower a total of 3 times since April! They aren't elderly either, I'd guess 33-35 year olds. I get not everyone is a yard fanatic but to me that is just plain being a lazy a**
its much better for the environment, birds, wildlife, and land ,to leave most leaves alone. I now only rake leaves off the grass not the beds etc. and even the grass should be mowed in order to chop up the leaves and feed the grass. And if you are a lawn fanatic and feed and herbicide your property to death, the effect on the environment is far far worse than your neighbor. If thats what you do, Ill take your neighbor anyday!

Old 10-22-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
its much better for the environment, birds, wildlife, and land ,to leave most leaves alone. I now only rake leaves off the grass not the beds etc. and even the grass should be mowed in order to chop up the leaves and feed the grass. And if you are a lawn fanatic and feed and herbicide your property to death, the effect on the environment is far far worse than your neighbor. If thats what you do, Ill take your neighbor anyday!
I rake if there are a lot of leaves on the lawn but mow/mulch over them if there aren't that many. As for fertilizing and herbicide, unfortunately, I have tremendous weed pressure from next door so until I can build up a thicker turf where I no longer need them OR maybe if the neighbors ever begin doing regular lawn mows I'll cut back. I don't over use those products now. I also don't use the Scott's stuff. I use slow release organic ferts.

Old 10-23-2022, 04:33 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,822 times
Quote:
I rake if there are a lot of leaves on the lawn but mow/mulch over them if there aren't that many. As for fertilizing and herbicide, unfortunately, I have tremendous weed pressure from next door so until I can build up a thicker turf where I no longer need them OR maybe if the neighbors ever begin doing regular lawn mows I'll cut back. I don't over use those products now. I also don't use the Scott's stuff. I use slow release organic ferts.
It's a loosing battle. My lot is 70% wooded/unmaintained with only a small patch with grass. I have never used any fertilizer or insecticide. Our chickens take care of both. And since they eat grass/weeds as well, I rarely have to mow. Best to live in harmony with nature

Old 10-23-2022, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p View Post
It's a loosing battle. My lot is 70% wooded/unmaintained with only a small patch with grass. I have never used any fertilizer or insecticide. Our chickens take care of both. And since they eat grass/weeds as well, I rarely have to mow. Best to live in harmony with nature
Well, gold star for you. There are no chickens or plans to get any here.

Old 10-23-2022, 05:40 AM

4,847 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
I mow a few times to get the 'early' leaves, but raking is a must when the fall is done. I'm the guy on a corner that gets mine, all the neighbors' that don't rake, and the ones that blow down the street in two directions to me because people are too damn lazy to pick them up and just blow them into the street.

I don't have a walnut tree... but I still get to pick up a few hundred that roll down the neighbor's roof, hit the lip of the gutter, then bounce over the fence. Couldn't figure out where they were coming from for a couple years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts