Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 05:28 AM

3,650 posts, read 1,875,062 times

Advertisements

For those of you with SFH that do your own property maintenance, what are your thoughts on raking/blowing leaves when you have a neighbor or neighbors that don't seem to know what a rake is? Do you continue raking all the leaves that have clearly made it over from their yard or do you use your blower and keep blowing them back over the property line where they came from? I hate putting in the effort to do my share of leaf clean up consistently each week and keep my property looking nice/cleaned up only to have a neighbor that doesn't even have the courtesy to do a quick mulch/bag up on a regular basis of their leaves (I'm talking a lot of leaves, not the occasional handful that might blow over in the wind more like enough to fill about 5-10 of those leaf barrels every other day!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 06:18 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,131,655 times
Do they eventually do a clean up at the end of the season?

There is a massive maple that is on a neighbor's property that I had tastefully trimmed back on my side. Since the owner is an elderly widow, her sons don't come do the leaves until the end of the season. I have woods in the back, so I do a little bit of both...some blown back to their side and some blown into the woods.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:20 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,934,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
For those of you with SFH that do your own property maintenance, what are your thoughts on raking/blowing leaves when you have a neighbor or neighbors that don't seem to know what a rake is? Do you continue raking all the leaves that have clearly made it over from their yard or do you use your blower and keep blowing them back over the property line where they came from? I hate putting in the effort to do my share of leaf clean up consistently each week and keep my property looking nice/cleaned up only to have a neighbor that doesn't even have the courtesy to do a quick mulch/bag up on a regular basis of their leaves (I'm talking a lot of leaves, not the occasional handful that might blow over in the wind more like enough to fill about 5-10 of those leaf barrels every other day!).
Tall fences make good neighbors.

I abide by the "if it's on my lawn it's my problem" school of leaf disposal. I would never blow leaves onto someone else's property, even if it's blowing them "back" to where they may have been at one point. I'm also no fastidious about having a leaf free lawn (I mostly want to avoid killing my lawn in the spring), so that's a lower bar to clear than someone who needs perfect order in their yard.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:53 AM

12,519 posts, read 9,606,846 times
I am a leaf slacker. I do rake them up, but I do it once, after all the leaves have fallen, in November with a rake. To be honest, I don't see leaves as unsightly - to me it's beautiful autumn nature. I do rake them up before winter because they can suffocate plants underneath after they become wet and matted over time.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:20 AM

16,482 posts, read 8,281,655 times
We had a neighbor blowing leaves from the street onto our property.

In our old house the homes were pretty close together and our neighbor would literally blow leaves from his house to our sidewalk. He would do the same with the snow. He was a nice guy, I think he was just dumb.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:24 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,409,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
do you use your blower and keep blowing them back over the property line where they came from?
Um, no.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:27 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,305,114 times
The neighbor across the lane is out there with his John Deere 3 days per week from April to November. At this time of year, there isn't a leaf on his lawn after he's done. He hauls dozens of paper lawn bags to the town yard waste/brush disposal site. I have another neighbor on the lane with a bunch of mature oak trees so the leaves don't come down until December so leaves are a 3 month thing.

We rake all of our leaves into the garden beds after I lightly mulch them with a gasoline push mower. We don't get rid of the leaves until April. On the South Coast with the mild winter, doing this saves a lot of plants and we have tons of pollinators like salvia that wouldn't make it otherwise.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:42 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,550,304 times
If it's on my lawn it's my problem, but i also don't have neighbors that actively blow leaves into my yard. I do have some that blow them into the street but at that point they blow around to wherever they need to go.

There have been days where i look at my yard, see the huge piles of leaves and set some time aside Sat Am to rake, only to find we had a windy night and all my leaves blew over to the neighbor's yard. And then a week later, they blow back. I rake what i can on my property.

Usually when the leaves begin to drop the grass is also going dormant. I put the mower down another notch just to shorten the height within reason. This really helps with keeping leaves from clumping up on the grass and allows they to blow across easily. When there aren't many leaves on the lawn, i usually use the mower to mulch them into the grass. I only break out the rake when it's just too much

But all my neighbors do some form of leaf pickup. My 80-something year old neighbor across the street it outside at 8AM on hide ride on mowing up leaves and bagging. His house is spotless and he does everything himself.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:49 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,131,655 times
My front lawn gets dominated by the mature oaks across the street. I mow the lawn every 5-7 days or so and just get those then.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:56 AM

3,650 posts, read 1,875,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Do they eventually do a clean up at the end of the season?

There is a massive maple that is on a neighbor's property that I had tastefully trimmed back on my side. Since the owner is an elderly widow, her sons don't come do the leaves until the end of the season. I have woods in the back, so I do a little bit of both...some blown back to their side and some blown into the woods.
They never do a clean up! I've seen the guy break out his mower a total of 3 times since April! They aren't elderly either, I'd guess 33-35 year olds. I get not everyone is a yard fanatic but to me that is just plain being a lazy a**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts