Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 2,478 times

Advertisements

A new job in Marborough, brought us to Massachusetts. My wife works from home. We are looking for a place that is 30 minutes or less to Marlborough. Our children are grown but we want some thing that has higher odds of retaining property value, so good school districts are still preferred. We do not want anything that is very rural. We’ve looked at Concord which is pretty expensive but we can go up to 2 million there. We are also very open to townhomes in a new development in Sudbury. Any other communities we should consider? Would love to have things to do in the nearby vicinity such as farmers markets and community events. For that reason we assume Lincoln and Acton would not be a fit. Not sure if there are parts of Needham we should come sitter or Wayland? We heard the traffic can be quite tough for Wellesley.

Last edited by Jkmia111; 10-30-2022 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 11:33 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,765 times
If you are not opposed to renting you might want to consider one of those faux luxury apartment complexes in the outskirts of Marlborough near the Sudbury border. Partially to give you more time to understand what you really want, and partially because if you are from the OC, the culture shock of having to drive in the snow to work might be problematic so being close to work isn't the worst idea.

Old 10-30-2022, 11:49 AM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Any reason why you are looking at those towns further east towards Boston? Plenty of desirable towns right around Marlborough (Sudbury is one of them). Also consider Northborough and Westborough, both bedroom suburbs but they have a little more going on than the more rural towns like Berlin. I just don't recommend commuting any further than you have to. And while Marlborough is OK, I do not believe it's going to retain it's value as well as most of the surrounding towns that are significantly nicer but really not priced all that much higher at the moment.

Old 10-30-2022, 11:53 AM

Thank you! Totally agree and we renting in a nice apartment complex until summer. Just wanted to start exploring towns and neighborhoods now. Regarding looking further east, I think we love the idea of being closer to the city, because we lived in a much more dense/urban location previously. The towns you mentioned are definitely beautiful as we've visited Westborough and Northborough.

Old 10-30-2022, 12:44 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
If I had that budget, I'd run and leave smoke to get to Concord. A generally liberal community-minded beautiful town, train to the city and right by Rt. 2. Good schools and a good hospital (Emerson).

Old 10-30-2022, 12:48 PM

Old 10-30-2022, 01:15 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If I had that budget, I'd run and leave smoke to get to Concord. A generally liberal community-minded beautiful town, train to the city and right by Rt. 2. Good schools and a good hospital (Emerson).

Concord isn't dense at all though. It's limited on the amenities it provides. If OP wants nearer to Boston, I'd guess Natick, Wellesley or Needham would be closer to what they want. And outbound on the Pike to Marlborough seems like a preferable commute to Rte. 2.

Old 10-30-2022, 02:27 PM

11 posts, read 7,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Concord isn't dense at all though. It's limited on the amenities it provides. If OP wants nearer to Boston, I'd guess Natick, Wellesley or Needham would be closer to what they want. And outbound on the Pike to Marlborough seems like a preferable commute to Rte. 2.
Completely agree. It seems like OP is looking for a bit more to do, and $2 million will give a ton of options in all those towns.

Old 10-30-2022, 02:40 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Limousine liberal is more like it.

Old 10-30-2022, 03:22 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Limousine liberal is more like it.
Well, a $2 mil. budget isn't exactly Kia money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts