Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 08:14 AM

12,945 posts, read 22,118,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Every time you see an iPad spun around at you, you know you're about to be asked to tip for something you never have.

I tipped generously during the pandemic, but I'm back to normal practices.
Yeah. There's one hipstery convenience store near us that not only charges an absurd premium for things (think - $35 for a four pack of craft beer that Kappy's sells a 5 minute walk away for $22), but the Square POS prompts customers for tips and has a default of 18%. So they're not just asking for tips, but you have to actively remove the tip if you don't want to pay it.

I'm back to normal too. ~$20 for sit down service, and a couple of bucks on most takeout. Online ordering is a nice way to avoid the eye contact/tipping game too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 08:28 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,081,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yeah. There's one hipstery convenience store near us that not only charges an absurd premium for things (think - $35 for a four pack of craft beer that Kappy's sells a 5 minute walk away for $22), but the Square POS prompts customers for tips and has a default of 18%. So they're not just asking for tips, but you have to actively remove the tip if you don't want to pay it.

I'm back to normal too. ~$20 for sit down service, and a couple of bucks on most takeout. Online ordering is a nice way to avoid the eye contact/tipping game too.
What's the beer, KBS I assume?

Old 11-02-2022, 10:09 AM

15,820 posts, read 20,604,423 times
Quote:
Yeah. There's one hipstery convenience store near us that not only charges an absurd premium for things (think - $35 for a four pack of craft beer that Kappy's sells a 5 minute walk away for $22), but the Square POS prompts customers for tips and has a default of 18%. So they're not just asking for tips, but you have to actively remove the tip if you don't want to pay it. .
What's the tip for in this case? I walk into the store and grab a 4-pack and bring it up, and that justifies an automatic 18%?

I'm a pretty generous tipper, but i would not tip in the above

Old 11-02-2022, 11:23 AM

861 posts, read 565,966 times
It’s funny because they said I owed them about $1500 after the tax return. Now according to the rule they actually need to send me back more than $1500.
I wonder if I will get reimbursement for the small “penalty” they imposed on me.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:50 AM

12,945 posts, read 22,118,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What's the tip for in this case? I walk into the store and grab a 4-pack and bring it up, and that justifies an automatic 18%?

I'm a pretty generous tipper, but i would not tip in the above
Absolutely nothing. It's silly. Part of me wants to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's the POS system's default setting and the owner doesn't know how to or care to change it. But I think it's by design. Maybe they assume that if you're already willing to pay a premium for convenience, you'll pay even more to "support a small business retail worker?" I rarely shop there, but if I do (they have a good wine and specialty food selection), I'm not tipping.

*Edit* After thinking about it, I have seen some of the cashiers assist people with picking out a wine or some unique items. So maybe it's for those instances. But still, I have a hard time justifying a tip for a convenience store cashier.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:21 PM

15,820 posts, read 20,604,423 times
Next thing you know we'll be seeing tip options popping up at self-checkout counters.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:43 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,751,759 times
Quote:
Next thing you know we'll be seeing tip options popping up at self-checkout counters.
Those self serve froyo places had the tip jar back in the day. I just served myself and now they want me to tip?

Old 11-02-2022, 04:52 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,944,150 times
Quote:
And then at vending machines.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:51 PM

23,764 posts, read 18,882,064 times
Quote:

I'm back to normal to, which is zero for takeout. It really is getting out of control. Had a guy at a local pizza place turn the tablet around after I paid, and made sure to show me his awareness of my lack of a tip with a disdainful expression on my face. I'm like sorry buddy, I just paid $20 for a one-topping pizza. There's no eat in service here, and if I intended to go above and beyond with a tip I would expect it delivered. I go down and pick it up because I think $20 is plenty to pay for a simple takeout meal. So now I avoid this restaurant, since for all I know they'll spit on my food next time. Too bad, place was good and convenient...

Old 11-02-2022, 06:01 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,751,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'm back to normal to, which is zero for takeout. It really is getting out of control. Had a guy at a local pizza place turn the tablet around after I paid, and made sure to show me his awareness of my lack of a tip with a disdainful expression on my face. I'm like sorry buddy, I just paid $20 for a one-topping pizza. There's no eat in service here, and if I intended to go above and beyond with a tip I would expect it delivered. I go down and pick it up because I think $20 is plenty to pay for a simple takeout meal. So now I avoid this restaurant, since for all I know they'll spit on my food next time. Too bad, place was good and convenient...
Yep I never understood why tipping is even an option for takeout. I took the time to drive there myself and used gas and put wear n tear on my car. This sushi place pays their hostesses at least minimum wage and people tip them for takeout. I don't even think they pack the food, they just hand it to you. Cashiers at McDonald's and Wendy's do more work and they don't get tips. If you're going to tip for takeout then why not tip for online pickup at Home Depot, Target etc? They do just as much work if not more. Why does the restaurant industry get a pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts