Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 06:54 PM

861 posts, read 565,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Yep I never understood why tipping is even an option for takeout. I took the time to drive there myself and used gas and put wear n tear on my car. This sushi place pays their hostesses at least minimum wage and people tip them for takeout. I don't even think they pack the food, they just hand it to you. Cashiers at McDonald's and Wendy's do more work and they don't get tips. If you're going to tip for takeout then why not tip for online pickup at Home Depot, Target etc? They do just as much work if not more. Why does the restaurant industry get a pass?
I suppose the cashiers are paid very low. Some of them are even illegal workers.
Occasional tips from take-out orders are actually a significant part of their income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 07:01 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,901,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
It's a very sad state of affairs when people are so excited about getting an extra couple hundred dollars.
Biden voters, oh something that will make me vote for My Joe.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:01 PM

23,772 posts, read 18,890,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
I suppose the cashiers are paid very low. Some of them are even illegal workers.
Occasional tips from take-out orders are actually a significant part of their income.

They are paid at least minimum wage, usually more. They are not supposed to be relying on tips for their income, if their hourly wage is not enough to retain employees then they need to adjust that accordingly. And if they are hiring illegals, that's a sketchy business that I want no involvement in.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:19 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,752,488 times
Quote:
The sushi place paid the hostess $10/hr back when minimum wage was $9 or so, and they got tips on top of that.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:22 PM

1,902 posts, read 1,413,493 times
Quote:
At least $15/hr as of Jan 1. Tips are not a significant part of a cashier’s income, nor they should be. Consumers shouldn’t be expected to subsidize wages that should be paid by business owners, though they are doing their best to jedi mind trick you on that.

The tipping culture in this country is laughable, and I say that as someone who worked in the service industry for quite some time.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:38 PM

861 posts, read 565,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
At least $15/hr as of Jan 1. Tips are not a significant part of a cashier’s income, nor they should be. Consumers shouldn’t be expected to subsidize wages that should be paid by business owners, though they are doing their best to jedi mind trick you on that.

The tipping culture in this country is laughable, and I say that as someone who worked in the service industry for quite some time.
Years ago I knew waitresses often had wages lower than the minimum. Cashiers might have more. Not sure about nowadays.

The wife of a friend of mine worked in a Japanese restaurant. Her 'wage' was like $2.5 per hour, which was a lot lower than the minimum wage back then, but the tips were not bad.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:39 PM

1,063 posts, read 704,334 times
I wish the money had gotten reinvested into the roads and public transit.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:36 AM

448 posts, read 283,803 times
Nothing in my account today either. Perhaps tomorrow. As said way back, it could take a couple days (similar to tax refunds...)

Old 11-03-2022, 07:13 AM

1,902 posts, read 1,413,493 times
Quote:
Years ago I knew waitresses often had wages lower than the minimum.
Yes, waitstaff and bartenders often earn what is known as the minimum service wage ($6.15/hr) as of 1/1/23. These positions can reasonably expect to earn far more than the prevailing minimum wage due to tips. The service wage does not apply to cashiers.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:03 PM

4,696 posts, read 3,490,903 times
I have a friend whose child worked at Crumble Cookie. They were paid a wage lower then minium. If they didn't make up the difference in tips then the company would cover it to minimum wage. Personally I find that ridiculous and rather scummy on their part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts