Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 08:54 AM

3,592 posts, read 1,821,989 times

Advertisements

For those that celebrate Christmas or like to decorate for the holidays, do you have strong opinions on displaying multicolor lights vs white lights outside. Also, do you detest when folks mix the cool toned white lights with the warm white ones in their displays? Historically, I've always been in the the warm white mini light crowd but might change it up and do the multicolor C6 this year. Also, I do think it looks awful when folks mix the cool vs. warm toned whites....stick with one or the other! Also, I hate the inflatable decorations too....most of the time look very cheesy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 09:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Depends on the design of the house and the number of lights. I have enjoyed the beauty of some homes with all white, if they put up a LOT of them, on different levels. We are all LED colored C9 now except for the clear icicle lights hanging down on the front porch. The tree is also all LED colored lights.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:04 AM

16,314 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I prefer the white lights on the outside of homes, but I don't get up in arms about people who put up multi colored lights. On main st in Hingham I think there has been or was a 'rule' where people had to put up white lights only. I will say I think the white lights have a more classy/elegant look about them. I sometimes see Boston streets lined with trees that have white lights year round.

I also noticed Chesnut hill mall (or whatever the mall is called there now) puts up light blue lights and those look nice as well.

I agree on the inflatable decor, it looks very tacky. I saw people do this on Halloween, now i see inflatable turkeys. My DH bought a few of these for halloween and Xmas...it's overall for the kids. The kids like them and think they're cool. When i was a kid i also preferred the multi colored bright lights. Funny how things change as we get older.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:09 AM

5,093 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Can't imagine why anyone would have a strong opinion on how other people decorate their homes. Apparently some have very boring lives, and/or are just highly judgemental by nature.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I prefer the white lights on the outside of homes, but I don't get up in arms about people who put up multi colored lights. On main st in Hingham I think there has been or was a 'rule' where people had to put up white lights only. I will say I think the white lights have a more classy/elegant look about them. I sometimes see Boston streets lined with trees that have white lights year round.

I also noticed Chesnut hill mall (or whatever the mall is called there now) puts up light blue lights and those look nice as well.

I agree on the inflatable decor, it looks very tacky. I saw people do this on Halloween, now i see inflatable turkeys. My DH bought a few of these for halloween and Xmas...it's overall for the kids. The kids like them and think they're cool. When i was a kid i also preferred the multi colored bright lights. Funny how things change as we get older.
Yes, I always liked driving by as a kid seeing a house that had multicolored versus the more prevalent white lights. Also, every now and then I'll see an inflatable piece of decor in someone's yard that surprises me that I think actually looks good but 99% of the time I hate them!

Strange rule but I'm not surprised that Hingham of all towns would have something like that. Multicolor can look quite stunning if done right and/or used minimally to accent a few things on the property or the house. Is there someone in town that actually enforces it and what happens if they put up multicolored lights?

Old 11-17-2022, 09:13 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,740,815 times
One can leave white lights up all year without gossiping ninnies pointing fingers.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Can't imagine why anyone would have a strong opinion on how other people decorate their homes. Apparently some have very boring lives, and/or are just highly judgemental by nature.
I don't care how other people decorate their homes but when I drive by during the holidays and see homes lit up I do have an opinion on what I think looks good vs tacky as I'm sure other folks do as well. Hope that's ok with you gymjunkie?!

Old 11-17-2022, 09:22 AM

5,093 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I don't care how other people decorate their homes but when I drive by during the holidays and see homes lit up I do have an opinion on what I think looks good vs tacky as I'm sure other folks do as well. Hope that's ok with you gymjunkie?!
It's fine with me, because I couldn't care less what strangers think. Or what some people find tacky. Sounds like a lot of other feel the same way, given their choice of lighting.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:24 AM

16,314 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I really don't care what anyone else thinks either. People who keep lights up all year though are wasting electricity.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I really don't care what anyone else thinks either. People who keep lights up all year though are wasting electricity.
Yes, when March rolls around and you still see XMas lights up on houses...either they don't mind wasting electricity or they are lazy...maybe don't actually turn them on but haven't taken them down yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts