Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 07:00 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
This darn thing took over a decade to plan and execute. In some other country, it'd probably have been done in 3-4 years.
30+ actually IIRC. Doing it was part of a settlement stemming from the Big Dig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 08:22 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
This darn thing took over a decade to plan and execute. In some other country, it'd probably have been done in 3-4 years.
No, more like in 1-2 years at most....

Old 12-13-2022, 08:30 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
No, more like in 1-2 years at most....
Exactly. We set the bar so low for ourselves, in terms of infrastructure projects around here.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:52 PM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
It would be interesting to see how big the populations of Somerville and Medford get now that there's Green Line service in those municipalities. Also, I'm still waiting on the Blue Line extension to Lynn. Hopefully there's stops on Oak Island, Point of Pines, West Lynn, and finally to Lynn Station. I also don't believe that the price tag is that expensive, as it should be around $850 million today.

It's better to extend to Lynn right now than wait another decade until the price tag goes up to be over a billion dollars. Hopefully the new governor can see the viability of the Blue Line and the communities that will be served in this corridor (https://i1.wp.com/www.thetransportpo...line.jpg?ssl=1). I'd also love to see the return of the Arborway and Watertown branches of the Green Line return, just to expand service, and maybe another to Harvard Business School via Soldiers Field Rd (fantasy), but I believe now that the GLX has officially commenced, the main logical priority right now is to extend the Blue Line to Lynn!

Old 12-14-2022, 06:08 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
It would be interesting to see how big the populations of Somerville and Medford get now that there's Green Line service in those municipalities. Also, I'm still waiting on the Blue Line extension to Lynn. Hopefully there's stops on Oak Island, Point of Pines, West Lynn, and finally to Lynn Station. I also don't believe that the price tag is that expensive, as it should be around $850 million today.

It's better to extend to Lynn right now than wait another decade until the price tag goes up to be over a billion dollars. Hopefully the new governor can see the viability of the Blue Line and the communities that will be served in this corridor (https://i1.wp.com/www.thetransportpo...line.jpg?ssl=1). I'd also love to see the return of the Arborway and Watertown branches of the Green Line return, just to expand service, and maybe another to Harvard Business School via Soldiers Field Rd (fantasy), but I believe now that the GLX has officially commenced, the main logical priority right now is to extend the Blue Line to Lynn!

Dude we can't even maintain the system we have in place. It's absolutely pathetic. And you want to add MORE segments that there is not the will or ability to keep up with? Just lovely.

Old 12-14-2022, 10:41 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,729,269 times
Wow my buddy wanted to buy in Somerville like 15 years ago due to the green line expansion. He ended up buying in Maynard instead.

Old 12-15-2022, 12:18 AM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
My wife and I considered buying in Somerville near the green line extension in 2013. We knew the train was coming by 2015! Luckily we didn't.

Old 12-15-2022, 12:20 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,729,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
My wife and I considered buying in Somerville near the green line extension in 2013. We knew the train was coming by 2015! Luckily we didn't.
Where did you buy?

Old 12-15-2022, 01:38 AM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Dude we can't even maintain the system we have in place. It's absolutely pathetic. And you want to add MORE segments that there is not the will or ability to keep up with? Just lovely.
TAKE IT EASY! If anything, it all has to do with the current system as well as the age of the system. Boston has the oldest subway system in North America, and that fact alone is what makes maintaining the system very challenging. NY also has one of the oldest systems in the country and it too has a lot of structural problems, as well as Chicago and Philadelphia. The DC Metro has just started to see deterioration in parts of it's system and it's only 45 years old.

I'm sorry if Boston doesn't have a European and Asian style, brand spanking new metro system with glass safety barriers in every station if that's what you're thinking. I'm not even sure if you're pro or anti transit, but I'm pro transit and Boston has a decent, if erratic subway and commuter rail system and Boston is one of the lucky cities that has at least an expansive mass transit system. If anything, the federal gov't needs to do a much better job in subsidizing for mass transit.

Try living in Detroit which doesn't have a subway system, or St Louis, which only has one mass transit corridor within that city or Phoenix, or even Dallas and Houston. Personally, I'm not huge on light rail or cities that just have light rail alone. I'd choose Boston over those cities, and that's just me!

Old 12-15-2022, 05:44 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Problem with transit here is that the state has had every opportunity to keep it maintained, and they do not. You also keep referring to it as the "oldest." Well, yeah a certain section of the system is the oldest original (Tremont tunnel) but other sections have been built over the years. For example the Orange Line went from elevated to underground in the 1980's. The fact that it's the oldest is not an excuse to not properly maintain and upgrade the system, as the MBTA has done over the years by mismanaging money and not properly managing the operations and service within the agency. Many locals have become frustrated at the unreliability of the system and the continued empty promises made by public officials. Granted, the voters keep electing leaders based on the same partisan political rhetoric and so it;s really our fault. We don't hold them accountable and many voters simply don't pay close enough attention to these things until they blow up in our face. That particular agency has become a political patronage dumping ground over the years and has been plagued by incompetence. But continually saying "it's the oldest" is just a dumb empty excuse. So what if parts of it are the oldest? That's even more of a reason to keep it current and maintained, which they do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts