Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 09:08 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Nobody ever said it was a bad state boss, just trying to find some humor in this garbage clickbait link and the great irony that exists here. Like with my example, in this state full of geniuses we can't even figure out basics like running a transit system. I don't consider myself a glass half empty type, but I'm also not blind to some very serious issues and long term decline in QOL. A state this wealthy and "educated", we should really be ashamed of ourselves in the assets we have squandered. We should be doing "so" much better than we are.
+1.

This has also been discussed here before. Smartest, most educated whatever. This one goes right up there with best hospitals and schools I'd say. Doesn't make up for the COL and issues that still exist here. I really don't care what life in WV is like either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 09:16 AM

23,598 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The point is that even the worst cities in Massachusetts have the funding to provide the educational opportunity to escape generational poverty. As someone I figure was a C average High School grad with lousy SAT scores, you'd rather focus on the ones who didn't escape that cycle generational poverty since it makes you feel superior despite being quite mediocre.
Maybe I should make up stuff about other posters' GPAs and test scores, while calling them "mediocre". That made you feel so much better about yourself now, didn't it?

You have failed to demonstrate how Durfee provides more opportunity than Woodrow Wilson for "smart and intellectually engaged kids" with active parents. I provided some data suggesting that it doesn't, you have provided nothing.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:19 AM

Default re

Quote:
Maybe I should make up stuff about other posters' GPAs and test scores, while calling them "mediocre". That made you feel so much better about yourself now, didn't it?

You have failed to demonstrate how Durfee provides more opportunity than Woodrow Wilson for "smart and intellectually engaged kids" with active parents. I provided some data suggesting that it doesn't, you have provided nothing.
So pathetic people are on this forum. People in their 60's bragging about their high school grades.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So pathetic people are on this forum. People in their 60's bragging about their high school grades.
Talking about an "inferiority complex".

Old 12-14-2022, 09:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
With all the b---ing and moaning that goes on about Mass in these forums, I think it's nice to have a thread or two that looks at the positives now and then, to remind us that hey, maybe it's not perfect - winter is cold and the cost of living is high, but beyond that, there are also a lot of real positives about this state - our home.

For those that won't tolerate looking at the half of the glass that's full, why don't you take up meditation, or better yet, just move? If it's that bad here, why are you here? Go somewhere else and see if the grass is greener. I suspect that many of the malcontents will be just as unhappy in another state.

Seriously, they hate it here so much that positive news gets crapped on. It's either sad or psychotic, but probably a bit of each. It's easy to throw a rock and find a place with different politics and a cheaper COL if you have so much disdain of the state.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Seriously, they hate it here so much that positive news gets crapped on. It's either sad or psychotic, but probably a bit of each. It's easy to throw a rock and find a place with different politics and a cheaper COL if you have so much disdain of the state.
Says a man who bailed from Mass. because he could no longer afford his rathole apartment in Somerville, that didn't even have hot water from what I recall.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:29 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Please quit cherry picking with your "top of the class". You know perfectly well that a Durfee High grad is more likely to spit out a few kids by 22 (out of wedlock) and enter a life of Section 8 and career at Subway, than attend Brown or Northeastern. How about the big picture here, like taking a look at my comparison to Beckley, WV (since I believe you were who first brought WV into this discussion).

The topic started with a link to a pretty broad composite score with states rated relative to one another on these metrics and with the scores tailored towards a 0 to 100 value so that the lowest and highest would appear towards the ends. It should be pretty obvious that it does not mean there aren't poorly performing students or adults with poor education and economic prospects--only that by a ranking of the average and proportions of the data for these state's adult population using mix of percent college educated, percent advanced degrees, IQ scores, and ACT/SAT scores compared to each other.

This then devolved into cherrypicking schools that have issues within the state which doesn't make sense on multiple levels as these are averages for entire states which doesn't mean you can't have deviations from the average that were part of the composite score and because this was a comparison to other states which would presumably also have schools that wander far from their (lower) state averages.

Kudos to the top ten graduates from Durfree though.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:33 AM

Many of the highly intelligent top IQ people here in MA NOW did not even go to high school in MA. They moved here for the salaries or to work at one of the universities/hospitals.

That is not to say MA doesn't have good schools, but just stop.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:36 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
They know how to apply the Pythagorean theorem but can't figure out how to ride a bike in traffic.

Old 12-14-2022, 10:24 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Many of the highly intelligent top IQ people here in MA NOW did not even go to high school in MA. They moved here for the salaries or to work at one of the universities/hospitals.

That is not to say MA doesn't have good schools, but just stop.

Right, it's mostly about adults living in their respective states given what they cite as their data and so little claim was made about people with highly intelligent people being from MA high schools. The parts that mostly would come mostly from high school and potentially under within the state would be those that have max 40% of the weight which is some part of the 20% weight given to IQ tests, and likely most of the 10% each given to SAT and ACT scores. It's not nothing, but it's obviously not the majority of the weighting. Given that they basically normalized the range such that extremes of 12.6 on the scale can appear though, it would appear that MA does much better than WV on those even if one were to not look at the data but does know the weighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts