Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2023, 03:59 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Housing costs is hemming up Boston as a city- really constraining its abilities to function as anything other than an economic incubator… but there’s a huge % of people who want housing costs to remain prohibitively expensive. I’d say you’re one of those people- however, you may not identify that way, I’d say most folks don’t identify that way even if it’s them. That’s the rub and that’s where Boston is.
And I'd say you'd be one of those people also if you had a nice house in the area. Who wouldn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 05:45 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I still don't see how me not wanting forests being knocked down for loads of affordable housing developments to be built is the reason why an average home is now 1M. I put the blame on all the corporate industries that rushed to set up shop in Boston...i think the office shops need to be more distributed throughout the state and country. It shouldn't matter where someone's office is anymore and thankfully more people are starting to see this.
You don’t see it and a million other people don’t either- and it’s a negative feedback loop. It’s been explained here ad nauseam.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:48 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
And I'd say you'd be one of those people also if you had a nice house in the area. Who wouldn't?
I wouldn’t, I’m not inclined that way. I’m just not. I’m not motivated by money much. I’d never even want.

Anyways I’m final rounds of the interviewing process for the assistant planner position for a south shore town (and yes, there is a money motivation for that) We’ll see how it goes- the thing so heard in my initial my review were already pretty frustrating lol.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I wouldn’t, I’m not inclined that way. I’m just not. I’m not motivated by money much. I’d never even want.

Anyways I’m final rounds of the interviewing process for the assistant planner position for a south shore town (and yes, there is a money motivation for that) We’ll see how it goes- the thing so heard in my initial my review were already pretty frustrating lol.
I hope you get the job.

And I have to say I find it hard to believe that you (or anyone) wouldn't be one of those people.

You work your butt off for years and years and years to finally be able to make the purchase. The largest purchase of your life that you made many sacrifices in order to pull it off. You telling me that you'd be ok with the value dropping 30-40%? I certainly wouldn't.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:32 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
Is there evidence of declines in value in HCOL areas due to additional housing units being built? From my observations of the SF Bay Area it hasn’t happened. Yes prices are down now compared to peak but more due to tech layoffs than supply creeping up to meet demand.

Yes, they have other issues related to overpopulation.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Is there evidence of declines in value in HCOL areas due to additional housing units being built?
Good question that I don't have an answer to.

It seems to be common sense, though, that values would decline if the supply increased substantially.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:28 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:

Me, for one. I'm trying to understand why you would care, given you already have your house and (assuming) a fixed rate mortgage? You are always going to need a place to live, regardless. And no housing prices are not at all likely to drop 30-40%, but a 10% correction is certainly plausible. That's not going to make your neighborhood any less "nice".

Old 04-03-2023, 09:38 PM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
it's been a while since a neighborhood in the Boston area has 'gone bad'. I wonder if we'll ever see that happen again.

Old 04-03-2023, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Me, for one. I'm trying to understand why you would care, given you already have your house and (assuming) a fixed rate mortgage? You are always going to need a place to live, regardless. And no housing prices are not at all likely to drop 30-40%, but a 10% correction is certainly plausible. That's not going to make your neighborhood any less "nice".
1. Nobody wants to see a major purchase drop a significant amount.

2. As you mentioned in a different thread, sometimes things happen that are out of your control and you need to sell.

And I disagree re: 30-40% and 10%. Depends on the price and location. Plenty of these 2 million dollar houses could easily drop to 1.2 to 1.4 million - even without any additional housing built.

You don't think the typical million dollar house in MA couldn't drop to 700k? I don't see why not. That's where most of them were just a couple years ago.

Old 04-03-2023, 10:26 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
1. Nobody wants to see a major purchase drop a significant amount.

Say you bought in 2019. Even if it dropped substantially from 2023 to 2024, you're still likely to be ahead of the game. If you just bought in 2022, then you bought with the understanding that things are way overinflated right now and are presumably prepared to take a hit at least in the near future.

Quote:
2. As you mentioned in a different thread, sometimes things happen that are out of your control and you need to sell.

Also expanding on the points above, if your home value falls then in theory the house you want to purchase has as well so chances are it's a wash.

Quote:
And I disagree re: 30-40% and 10%. Depends on the price and location. Plenty of these 2 million dollar houses could easily drop to 1.2 to 1.4 million - even without any additional housing built.

You don't think the typical million dollar house in MA couldn't drop to 700k? I don't see why not. That's where most of them were just a couple years ago.

I'm talking about prices overall. The typical home. Of course homes at the top of the market stand to take a bigger hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts