Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 03:49 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
Everyone wants to live in the U.S.? Traveling the world a decent amount, my perception and interactions with the people living there very much counters this opinion.
Yep. The consensus from people living in other first world countries is that they don’t want to be gunned down like a dog, bankrupted by healthcare, and chained to a desk with 2 weeks vacation time and the risk of being laid off at a moment’s notice with no severance pay. The mifepristone ban certainly made world news and isn’t a good look. Makes Iran look moderate. The cost of college and student debt burden in the US is well known in other countries. Storming the Capitol Building wasn’t a proud moment. Kyle Rittenhouse? WTF.

That’s the news feed in the rest of the first world about the United States. Educated Europeans certainly aren’t lining up to immigrate. The reality that places like Massachusetts are sheltered from most of it is lost with the constant stream of negative news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 07:26 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
Everyone wants to live in the U.S.? Traveling the world a decent amount, my perception and interactions with the people living there very much counters this opinion.
Same- even in South Africa most people I met in Kimberley, Joburg and Cape Town didn't want to live in the US.

A Nigerian American and A Jamaican American- both of whom I was close friends with in High School or College- moved to their parent's respective home countries permanently after 3/4 years of adulting in the US and feel it was the right decision.

Old 04-12-2023, 07:49 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Believe me I wish less people wanted to live in the US. I think a lot of people say they want to live in another country and don't actually follow through on that.

A family member of mine recently got married to someone who's family is from the UK. They are wealthy, have homes all over Europe and in Canada. For whatever reason they want to live here because of his job (he could easily find another) and have been waiting over a year for her to get the proper papers to live here...and it will probably be another year. Based on what I see them put on social media they don't think too highly of many Americans...but apparently it's worth the wait for them to still live here.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:54 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Poll: More than half of Mass. Republicans considered leaving state over past year

The UMass Amherst/WCVB poll, the results of which were released this week, found that 53% of Republicans in Massachusetts have thought about moving elsewhere in the past year. It also found that 47% of independents had similar thoughts. Nearly four in 10 Massachusetts residents overall have contemplated the idea.

The poll was conducted from March 28 through April 5. A total of 700 residents were questioned, and the poll has a 4.7 percent margin of error.

“Massachusetts residents continue to contemplate moving from the state, with the top concern the high cost of living,” Raymond La Raja, professor of political science at UMass Amherst and a co-director of the poll, said in a statement. “Overall, 39% say they have considered moving in the past year, a small upward tick from six months ago when 35% said this. Moreover, it is younger people and the more educated who are more likely to think of leaving the state, groups that the state cannot afford to lose for its future.”

Respondents said that the top reason they considered moving away was the state’s high cost of living. After that, the top explanations were, in order, the prospect of making a change in one’s life, concerns about high taxes and governance, a feeling of exclusion, and political complaints.

The poll found that 43% of men, 43% of younger residents, and 43% of people of color thought about leaving. Results also showed that 46% of those making less than $40,000 per year had similar thoughts.

This is particularly bad IMO.

When asked how they view the future of Massachusetts, 44% of respondents said the state was moving in the right direction, while 33% said the state was on the wrong track. These opinions appear split down party lines, as 65% of Democratic respondents said the state was moving in the right direction, while 73% of Republicans said the state was moving in the wrong direction.

^This doesn't sound like a state that's always at the top of "best places to live
"

Old 04-12-2023, 12:12 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
A family member of mine recently got married to someone who's family is from the UK. They are wealthy, have homes all over Europe and in Canada. For whatever reason they want to live here because of his job
Is not whatever reason, the reason is the job. Which is why people move to the US, not really other reasons but jobs yes. A doctor in the US can make way more than a doctor doing the same, at the same level, in any other developed nation (of course someone has to pay him that much but that's another reason).

Old 04-12-2023, 12:16 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Is not whatever reason, the reason is the job. Which is why people move to the US, not really other reasons but jobs yes. A doctor in the US can make way more than a doctor doing the same, at the same level, in any other developed nation (of course someone has to pay him that much but that's another reason).
I guess? My point is that she comes from a wealthy family, he also comes from a wealthy family. He is an engineer, so he could find a job anywhere.

I was the one who said people always want to be in the US and people argued with me. I can think of lots of reasons not to be in the US but if we pay more than any other place in the world then guess that's why people come here. I am not sure that is the cause though and other places get free college and healthcare and better maternity leave.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I was the one who said people always want to be in the US and people argued with me. I can think of lots of reasons not to be in the US but if we pay more than any other place in the world then guess that's why people come here. I am not sure that is the cause though and other places get free college and healthcare and better maternity leave.
Some people also miscalculate. You see the salary and are like "Money!!!" then after a couple of years you realize the negatives (costs and more).

Old 04-12-2023, 12:24 PM

This is much more complex than "republicans don't like he dems" as shown by a correlation not just along party lines but also along income lines but...I always find hilarious how you read about southern republicans fearful of liberals from northern states moving down there. Don't they realize that the ones moving aren't the liberals? I know older liberal people that went to check out Florida and came back horrified lol.
Don't worry southern republicans, the ones coming to you are the ones you like.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:32 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
This is much more complex than "republicans don't like he dems" as shown by a correlation not just along party lines but also along income lines but...I always find hilarious how you read about southern republicans fearful of liberals from northern states moving down there. Don't they realize that the ones moving aren't the liberals? I know older liberal people that went to check out Florida and came back horrified lol.
Don't worry southern republicans, the ones coming to you are the ones you like.
Redfin's migration says that Florida is the most popular outward migration spot for MA. It's so popular it can't be just a Red-Blue issue.

Portland Maine seems like the alternative. That has to be mostly retirees though as I don't know how big of an employment draw it is.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:35 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Redfin's migration says that Florida is the most popular outward migration spot for MA. It's so popular it can't be just a Red-Blue issue.

Portland Maine seems like the alternative.
FL has always been a popular place regardless of who you vote for. People like the warm weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts