Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2023, 01:13 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So what is the correction you think should happen?
I said what I think should happen. No more small buildings in the core of Boston metro. Maybe in Worcester too.
What is going to happen is that they are going to build a few more houses and the prices are going to slowdown a bit.
There is currently a $300 difference in median rents between MA and the US as a whole.
https://data.census.gov/table?g=010X...SDP1Y2021.DP04
But when you look at the % of income spent in rent actually both in the US and MA 42% of people spend of 35% of their income in rent. (probably because more rents are in urban areas who are more expensive anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 01:17 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea but Braintree is opposed to developing an empty parking lot. This is the issue.
Why? That seems silly. All i can think of is that residents think the town is populated enough which is probably is, lol.

Braintree also has the T...not that anyone wants to have to take the T these days...but it's there.

Old 04-06-2023, 01:23 PM

Default re

Quote:
Yea but Braintree is opposed to developing an empty parking lot by an interstate. This is the issue. They point to people in Hingham and say what about them they're not doing anything. Hingham point to Boston who says it should be on them. Boston does work then points to Braintree... who points to Hingham who points to Boston. It never ends because no one wants to do the hard thing.

The Boston area is too wealthy and homogenous to establish the kind of culture where groups are accustomed to and expected to sacrifice some level of comfort for the benefit/advancement of other groups. Not when they know they can just bully their way into conservative development and meet their own selfish desires. It would take forceful action from the state if the state decides to work in the interest of younger, lower-income and minority people. This won't happen in a major way with Healey as governor, but probably incrementally.
Hingham IS very populated. The construction that has gone up in there is pretty amazing. Like 4 million dollar homes where you can see the ocean and see right into your neighbor's house as well, they stacked them in. Like i said in another post, Hingham is very busy and yes wealthy. I think Hingham has done their fair share and no one should be pointing fingers at them at this point. Not that most people can even afford hingham these days.

Braintree is more affordable than Hingham, has the T, is really more of a city than a town at this point.

Old 04-06-2023, 01:26 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,855,367 times
Quote:
Hingham IS very populated. The construction that has gone up in there is pretty amazing. Like 4 million dollar homes where you can see the ocean and see right into your neighbor's house as well, they stacked them in. Like i said in another post, Hingham is very busy and yes wealthy. I think Hingham has done their fair share and no one should be pointing fingers at them at this point. Not that most people can even afford hingham these days.

Braintree is more affordable than Hingham, has the T, is really more of a city than a town at this point.
Just what I'd want to do...spend $4mil to see directly into my neighbors windows. Oh yeah but the rooftop, off in the distance ocean view makes it so worth it. lol

Old 04-06-2023, 01:29 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Just what I'd want to do...spend $4mil to see directly into my neighbors windows. Oh yeah but the rooftop, off in the distance ocean view makes it so worth it. lol
I wouldn't either. I basically cringe when I look at pictures of crowe's point. I guess these uber wealthy people enjoy being close to each other. Black rock is the same situation...houses packed in together with very little privacy.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:15 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:

Higham MA has a population of 920 people per square mile

This compares to 1406 people per square mile for all of metro Boston (including two counties in new Hampshire) and 897 people per square mile for all of Massachusetts.

Weymouth is 3400 per square mile
Braintree is 28000 per square mile
Randolph is 35000 per square mile
Boston is 14,000 per square mile
Dedham is 2400 per square mile

Hingham is not densely populated and ought to be building more to reach at least 1400 people per square mile. That would raise the population to 31,080 from its current 24,284. So an increase of roughly 6796 people or roughly 3090 housing units at 2.2 people per unit. That could be achieved in 5-6 large apartment buildings somewhere in its 22 square miles. Shouldn't take more than 4-5 years from planning to build out to full lease.

You could do this and only impact like 20 acres in the town or .03 square miles. of its 22.2 square miles.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:17 PM

Default re

Quote:
Higham MA has a population of 920 people per square mile

This compares to 1406 people per square mile for all of metro Boston (including two counties in new Hampshire) and 897 people per square mile for all of Massachusetts.

Weymouth is 3400 per square mile
Braintree is 28000 per square mile
Randolph is 35000 per square mile
Boston is 14,000 per square mile
Dedham is 2400 per square mile

Hingham is not densely populated and ought to be building more to reach at least 1400 people per square mile. That would raise the population to 31,080 from its current 24,284. So an increase of roughly 6796 people or roughly 3090 housing units at 2.2 people per unit. That could be achieved in 5-6 large apartment buildings somewhere in its 22 square miles. Shouldn't take more than 4-5 years from planning to build out to full lease.
For what people pay to live there do they not deserve some privacy or space? The town has become much more populated over the past 10 years. Just because YOU think they need to be building more doesn't mean everyone feels that way.

What about Hyde park? Why don't they build more?

Old 04-06-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
For what people pay to live there do they not deserve some privacy or space? The town has become much more populated over the past 10 years. Just because YOU think they need to be building more doesn't mean everyone feels that way.

What about Hyde park? Why don't they build more?
Hyde Park is at ~8,000 people per square mile and actively building more as is. so 9x more developed than Hingham already. And even that's being generous nearly a mile of Hyde Park is park land. So its more like 11500 people per square mile.

As I said above only .03 square miles of Hingham 22.2 square miles would be impacted. Leaving the other 21.9 square miles open for "space"

If you cant cede .0135% of the town for more housing you're just unreasonable.

If you want more space move further south, or move to New Hampshire, or Central Massachusetts- you've got literally hundreds of options.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:45 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,601 times
There are a lot of people getting a gut check by the new priorities the state has put forward. Makes me wonder if they even realize who they are voting for.

Always amazing when someone thinks their idyllic little precious town will be permanently frozen in the ideal state they imagine in their own mind.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
There are a lot of people getting a gut check by the new priorities the state has put forward. Makes me wonder if they even realize who they are voting for.

Always amazing when someone thinks their idyllic little precious town will be permanently frozen in the ideal state they imagine in their own mind.
They don't- for such a high-education state I find MA voters to be low information compared to what I've seen in MD. THats probably due to the lack of transparency. You never know what a given individual votes for or against in Massachusetts. In other states their names and votes are displayed right across the TV screen (even in Rhode Island). This give people an incentive to vote for or against people based on policy, not the case in MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts