Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 11:02 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times

Advertisements

This is basically a complete redux of this thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/massa...-research.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 04:26 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
I would definitely recommend Providence or Pittsburgh. You could potentially swing the Amherst area (working at one of the colleges), but you'd need a car and the student population makes rentals even more expensive than they should be for the local economy - though there are always grad students to room with!

While Boston is very employment-friendly for trans and nonbinary folks, the cost of living is prohibitive as you might guess. And because folks commute from increasingly long distances (myself included - 1 1/2 - 2 hours each way!) the high cost extends throughout eastern Mass. Austin is cheap compared to just about anywhere in Mass except for some of the more economically depressed towns in the west or around Brockton/Fall River. A lot of the ***** community that used to make Boston a really happening place has relocated to Providence. Great loss of Boston (and my teen/early 20s social scene) but definitely a possibility for you. It's still more expensive than Austin, though.

I recommend plugging in metro areas to a COL comparison. For instance: https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-l...-providence-ri

It's not 100% but gives you a sense of what's realistic.

Old 12-25-2022, 05:25 PM

119 posts, read 71,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
If you think Austin is expensive, just wait till you get to MA!
NE is expensive and the skills she possesses is not rare and in great demand but she would be paying more for fuel,rent,food ,professional services.
I would stay in Austin,

Old 12-25-2022, 06:13 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
To be frank there no way you can afford much of the Northeast if you are only bringing in $2,100 a month. That's less than minimum wage in mass. No one can afford any apartment anywhere in mass let alone the Northeast on minimum wage.

Sorry but that's the truth. Minimum wage is now $15/hr.

Old 12-25-2022, 07:37 PM

119 posts, read 71,817 times
She said she will be working,so she should get minimum wage?

Old 12-26-2022, 06:14 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsunflower View Post
No I'm in no place to buy a house. I would be renting. I have no issue with roommates so as long I have my own room. My rent currently is around $1950 for the both of us, but we've lived here a long time. There are definitely places more expensive around here.

I don't research housing costs because I don't think I could get approved for a house. And yes I have researched jobs and salaries.

I didn't say a thing about living in Boston. Affordable is relative.
We’re all wondering what part of your research led you to MA? This doesn’t sound practical. If you’re not worried snot a job or living in Boston and your not buying a house… Connecticut is a much cheaper place to rent if you must be in New England

Old 12-26-2022, 06:17 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Unlike Boston, NYC has more affordable rentals where you can get by fine without a car. It just won’t be Manhattan. There are non-frightening rentals on the other side of the Hudson with PATH access.
Yea, this. Due to sheer volume you can find more affordable properties there’s. Ct as I mentioned. Providence has a more active trans/lgbtq scene and is more affordable. Because this one isn’t the there’s too a job you really should consider all those places OP. Best of luck

Old 12-26-2022, 09:02 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Unlike Boston, NYC has more affordable rentals where you can get by fine without a car. It just won’t be Manhattan. There are non-frightening rentals on the other side of the Hudson with PATH access.
Or Queens. Maaaaaybe parts of Brooklyn, but not sure about that these days.

OP, as mentioned above, you might be able to find something more affordable in Western MA, but you would definitely need a car. I'm also worried about your job prospects here.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to find an online transgender support group, particularly one based in MA or New England, who may be able to help you figure this out and maybe provide resources.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:49 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
This is basically a complete redux of this thread:
http:////www.city-data.com/forum/mas...-research.html
I was thinking this sounded familiar. It sounds like trans/LGBT people like to stick together (I don't blame them) but any place that is LGBT/trans friendly is incredibly expensive. Most states that are forward/progressive have a high cost of living.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:15 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I was thinking this sounded familiar. It sounds like trans/LGBT people like to stick together (I don't blame them) but any place that is LGBT/trans friendly is incredibly expensive. Most states that are forward/progressive have a high cost of living.
I think it's political ideology that's looking to surround themselves with their tribe, not so much sexual identity. Gays and others are spread out all over the place now. LGBT can be found in all states and there are ideological and cultural differences among all. It's not a monolith, despite what you may sense from media and entertainment. Even in the Northeast there are few gay enclaves left, and the LGBT community has many divisions amongst it. That said, there are definitely areas all over the country that are more accepting of certain differences than are others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts