Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 09:07 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Massachusetts' worst cities are not even that bad.

I was in Camden NJ yesterday.. omg...
Charlie Bo313's Hartford video is bad. Waterbury's HoodTime video is also very bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 10:07 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Massachusetts' worst cities are not even that bad.

I was in Camden NJ yesterday.. omg...
Camden is actually supposed to be better than it used to be. I grew up in South Jersey and went to Rutgers in the late 70s-early 80s, and one time I needed to take a summer course and did it at Rutgers Camden as that was closer to home than the main campus in New Brunswick. When I walked around campus in Camden, I noticed that from just about any intersection, I could look around and see a cop car in at least one direction. It was reassuring that there was such a strong presence, but it also gave me pause as to what kind of place it was, that it needed cops everywhere. At that time, it was definitely not a place that you went to for fun, or idle exploring to see what you'd find.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:10 AM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
The best way I can describe it (and I've said it here before), is that whenever I've been to Springfield...I feel like it's Boston in the early 90s. Springfield is probably the only place in Mass. where I get that sensation.

Fitchburg definitely does not feel as dangerous. Lawrence might be worse. Brockton is very bad in particular spots, but much of it (like most of the West Side) feels pretty normal and relatively prosperous. Don't get that vibe of depression and hopelessness like you (and the guy interviewed in the video) does in Springfield.

Can't comment really on Hartford, Waturbury or Camden but I've been to Atlantic City and that is one NASTY place. Kind of strange in that it's so small, but so intensely ghetto at the same time.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:46 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Fitchburg feels way more worn hopeless and isolated than Springfield. It’s just the most depressing place I’ve been in the state.

Lawrence is a more intense high density ghetto. It’s pretty “in your face”

Brockton probably has the worst or weakest downtown but it’s now improving.

Waterbury is like a giant Fitchburg with more Hartford style blight.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:06 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Springfield feels like Boston in the early 90's? Nah. Uphams Corner and parts of Roxbury maybe, but Boston was a hell of a lot more vibrant in the early 90's than Springfield is now. It had its bad areas but downtown areas were lively with many businesses, as was most of Dot, Charlestown, Kenmore Square, Allston/Brighton, North End, and other areas. I could never compare most of Boston of the early 90's to Springfield of today. It never felt dangerous to me then, unless you were involved in things that bring danger. Springfield just feels dumpy and very tired to me.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 02-06-2023 at 11:23 AM..

Old 02-06-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Springfield feels like Boston in the early 90's? Nah. Uphams Corner and parts of Roxbury maybe

That's more what I meant. But not always restricted to those neighborhoods, you would get it in Mission Hill or even parts of JP and Roslindale. Even with the vibrancy, there was a certain uneasiness and tension you would get at the tail end of the crack epidemic. A different level of aggression. Cold stare downs, etc.. A LOT of scumbags in Boston today, but it's not like being in Springfield where I felt on "high alert" even just sitting at a red light.

Is crack still an issue in Springfield?

Old 02-06-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That's more what I meant. But not always restricted to those neighborhoods. Even with the vibrancy, there was a certain uneasiness and tension you would get at the tail end of the crack epidemic. A different level of aggression. Cold stare downs, etc.. A LOT of scumbags in Boston today, but it's not like being in Springfield where I felt on "high alert" even just sitting at a red light.
Boston did have an edge, but that was normal working class city vibe back then. And if you did drive through Franklin Park at night make sure your gas tank had gas. lol

Springfield does have a LOT of nice old buildings and homes. Great underlying infrastructure.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Boston did have an edge, but that was normal working class city vibe back then. And if you did drive through Franklin Park at night make sure your gas tank had gas. lol

Yeah it just seemed like that's still lingering in Springfield (based on brief encounters) more so than anywhere else in the state.

Quote:
Springfield does have a LOT of nice old buildings and homes. Great underlying infrastructure.

True that, it's something that definitely stood out to me. I say it's got way better bones and suppressed beauty than Worcester, for example...or pretty much any of the other satellite cities. It's just in the wrong part of the state, and being on the troublesome I-91 corridor doesn't help it.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yeah it just seemed like that's still lingering in Springfield (based on brief encounters) more so than anywhere else in the state.

True that, it's something that definitely stood out to me. I say it's got way better bones and suppressed beauty than Worcester, for example...or pretty much any of the other satellite cities. It's just in the wrong part of the state, and being on the troublesome I-91 corridor doesn't help it.
I still feel the working-class culture in Worcester too, to a large degree. Would be nice if these cities could revitalize with enough economic interests to comfortably maintain the socioeconomic diversity all these cities once had. You need the full range to keep it interesting.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:29 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Charlie Bo313's Hartford video is bad. Waterbury's HoodTime video is also very bad.
CT Comes close to NJ's worst... but NJ's worst, are way worse than MAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts