Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 10:29 AM

129 posts, read 108,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
I'd say the whole of that Rt 2 corridor (Fitchburg/Gardner in particular) is hopeless and isolated. Bleak is another apt term. We went up there to one of the furniture factories not long ago and that's all I could think just walking around. We have friends who moved up that way because the housing is cheaper. There must be pockets of hopefulness there somewhere, at least for their kids' sake.

Interesting the OP picked up on a Nick Johnson video. I've seen quite a few of his "Unboxing [State]" episodes where he subtly makes the argument that poverty, whether rural or urban, is almost always politically triggered. He's stopped that in his later videos because he kept being called out on it. Now he's revisiting some areas and letting the inhabitants speak for themselves.
Could be. The Route 2 corridor at least has closer proximity to Boston which could theoretically enable some people to commute. Springfield area is more of its "own" area if that makes sense. There is more of an economic engine there as it is the hub of the Western MA. Not sure which is more beneficial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 11:04 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,346,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
MD is higher, but that is not usually considered Northeast for these stat purposes. NY and PA have been lower than us, unless that changed very recently. If BBMM is around I'm sure he would fill us in on the latest.
I don't know about violent crimes but in homicide mortality MA ranks 45th in the US with only VT, NH, ME and ID behind.
NY has a rate that is almost double, PA almost triple that of MA.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...y/homicide.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts