Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2023, 08:15 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
I think you're right about the economic growth, but, as someone who's lived both within and far outside the 495 "belt," I have seen tremendous inequities, west to east. A little more fairness would help. Plenty of Eastern Mass. types don't even know the Pioneer Valley (for example) exists, unless they went to UMass.
I think the issue is what is considered “fair”. Right now rural and formerly industrial areas are subsidized by wealthier, urban areas. Most of that is driven by the private sector. Are you advocating for a centrally planned economy to more evenly distribute jobs? Or just that the current level of subsidy is so insufficient as to be unfair. At what level does it become fair?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 11:09 AM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think the issue is what is considered “fair”. Right now rural and formerly industrial areas are subsidized by wealthier, urban areas. Most of that is driven by the private sector. Are you advocating for a centrally planned economy to more evenly distribute jobs? Or just that the current level of subsidy is so insufficient as to be unfair. At what level does it become fair?

Taking that into account, one must acknowledge that this wasn't always the case. That Boston was once subsidized by the industrial powerhouses like Brockton, New Bedford, Worcester, Springfield...who were once some of the wealthiest places per capita in the nation and played a big role in getting Boston to where it is today. Now in 2023, the state is basically there to serve Boston's needs which are vastly different from outside 495. Just look at the amount spent on infrastructure in Greater Boston over the past few decades like the T, Big Dig, and all those mega projects vs. the crumbs that have gone elsewhere. Sure on paper (like Chapter 70 school aid) it does look like Boston is subsidizing everywhere else, but it's really not that simple when you consider the other regions' needs that are being neglected. Places like western Mass. do not need more public transit or trains to Boston. They need better roads (like better links to the Pike). Better internet. Springfield recently lost Smith & Wesson, a major and its most famous employer. What efforts have the state put in to retaining this company and convincing it to stay put? The same put forth to gain biotech startups in the Boston area or woo GE from CT?

I do not think the state capital should be moved to Worcester or anywhere else, it's not really practical or feasible. But maybe the state government could become more decentralized, and move more functions out of Boston to other cities? For instance, move the DOT to Worcester (would make sense given its central location). State could make a good profit off its property in the city (real estate could be acquired in Worcester for a fraction of the price), that could be repurposed for badly needed private development space. Win win, in my layman's eyes anyway.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:29 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
413 and 617.
Those were the days! Even much of Hillbilly MA was 617. Had to drive out to Montague or Ware to cross the 413 threshold. This old sign still stands on an abandoned building in Orange. https://maps.app.goo.gl/TZ1tc3TRBwogXLti8?g_st=ic

The building across the street in this street view was burned down by tweens last year, in an event not unlike a Stephen King storyline (Orange filled in for Castle Rock on Hulu after all) and tracking with this thread.

Last edited by FCMA; 02-11-2023 at 03:39 PM..

Old 05-08-2023, 11:28 PM

Another lovely day in Winchendon...

Fentanyl dealer pulls Ruger pistol on man who saw him doing drugs at Cumberland Farms

https://newslinklive.com/2023/05/01/...berland-farms/

"The victim followed the dealer in his vehicle while calling 911. Back at the station, the dealer told police the large sums of money on him were his tax returns."

Old 05-12-2023, 05:27 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Public transit actually isn't all state. You have direct federal, direct to the state dot's, town assessments that serve it, fares and lastly advertising. Ask any RTA about it and there you go.

In many respects though some of boston *is* subsidized. The sales taxes were redirected to the MBTA reguardless of where someone lives. So someone from Pittsfield, Springfield, the cape and islands etc have all been paying into this for decades.

https://www.salemnews.com/news/state...3e718b72f.html
"Sales tax revenues represented 60 percent of total MBTA revenue in 2003, but declined to a 48 percent share in fiscal 2017, despite an increase in the sales tax rate from 5 percent to 6.25 percent in 2009, the Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center said in its report."

Also keep in mind it's not like Boston generates it's own power. New England ISO is in Holyoke ironically one of the poorest areas in the state. The Big E again is in western Mass. They'd be no way to put it in eastern Mass. Biggest flea market in New England? Again western/central Mass in Brimfield. High priced housing crowds out the ability to do different and unique things in eastern Mass. As long as you can make more with a single family home that's the default.

Moving the state capital would be iffy. The reason I say so is frankly it's non taxable space. Make no mistake the buildings could be sold off and Boston would clearly benefit. But just having people in a given area doesn't mean they'll be shopping or going to restaurants, things changed. Think about it this way. If residency requirements really worked wouldn't they all have them? Same thing. And you can work remotely in many parts of the state for the state government.

Property taxes do fund public schools but it clearly isn't enough which is why there is state and and technically a state income tax. The reforms of the 1990's were evidence of fairness and the state has made great strides in reforms. I'd also say that remoteness and distance are two very different things. I'd argue anyone living between Rt 2 and the Pike by the Quabbin (Barre comes to mind) is remote. But it isn't that far. Whereas springfield isn't remote but it is further from Boston. When you have highways that directly lead you to a given area then it isn't remote it's just far away. Now if you are closer and have no cell service or public water that's remote.

Old 05-13-2023, 05:52 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Here's another example.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...d-square-shop/

Cambridge cost more $$ than western mass obviously. So this limits small businesses from operating. They found a spot closer to where they already operate and move there. The Newbury street location only lasted five years so it's actually two they closed in the boston area. It isn't the only bookstore in the city but at the same point when a bookstore closes it's not like another one moves in.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,283 times
[quote=brightdoglover;64847832]
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

Most of us who grew up listening to WAAF, remember the story of "Chevy Van Pickup". To this day, it describes what's going on in the hinterlands of our commonwealth:

I so remember that stary in the Globe, with the dramatic black and white photos of adults doing all the wrong things around kids.
I think Chevy ended up okay. AFAIK he runs a roofing business in Greenfield. But the mom and two sisters died young, including the promising one.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInWorcester View Post

I think Chevy ended up okay. AFAIK he runs a roofing business in Greenfield. But the mom and two sisters died young, including the promising one.

Interesting. It was mentioned that he was arrested later as an adult, for stealing a car or something.

Old 05-19-2023, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Interesting. It was mentioned that he was arrested later as an adult, for stealing a car or something.
Wel, you know... "okay" being a relative term, I guess.

Old 05-19-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInWorcester View Post
Wel, you know... "okay" being a relative term, I guess.

I guess as "long as one does better than their parents...".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts