Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2023, 04:06 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times

Advertisements

I am curious if a celebrity owns the following 58 acre estate for sale. There is an extensive car collection and indoor water-park. It is only $23 million:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

I happened to be browsing for myself for a low-tax place in Western Massachusetts, and came across it. It apparently isn't Bill Cosby's, as he supposedly lives in Shelburne Falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 04:16 AM

3,632 posts, read 1,859,514 times
I think this one is the Yankee Candle owners home.

Old 10-17-2023, 04:48 AM

Thanks. There are more articles explaining that it was built by Michael Kittredge Senior, the founder of Yankee Candles. It is now lived in by his son.

Old 10-17-2023, 05:03 AM

721 posts, read 997,576 times
Yes. That is the Candle guy. And also, just because it is western Mass does not mean low taxes. I live in Amherst and we have some of the highest taxes in the state. I believe nearly 20%. The colleges do not pay taxes.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saguarogirl507 View Post
Yes. That is the Candle guy. And also, just because it is western Mass does not mean low taxes. I live in Amherst and we have some of the highest taxes in the state. I believe nearly 20%. The colleges do not pay taxes.
Thanks, I have done enough research to have a list of towns in 4 counties with low to average tax rates. I want to be near civilization, but not spend half my retirement income on property taxes.

Believe it or not, the north side of Chicopee has some nice homes with average taxes. I am from West Springfield originally, and I am considering there as well. I am falling in love with Easthampton, and it has changed much since it was called a sleepy mill town. These towns have mil rates in the 1.5% range.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:34 AM

721 posts, read 997,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Thanks, I have done enough research to have a list of towns in 4 counties with low to average tax rates. I want to be near civilization, but not spend half my retirement income on property taxes.

Believe it or not, the north side of Chicopee has some nice homes with average taxes. I am from West Springfield originally, and I am considering there as well. I am falling in love with Easthampton, and it has changed much since it was called a sleepy mill town. These towns have mil rates in the 1.5% range.
I think the fact that you are from out here helps. I was not familiar with the area at all and I was in for a rude awakening. I feel so isolated out here. I had no idea how far away from civilization I was going to be. We are hoping to relocate closer to Boston come spring.

Northampton is nice too but very expensive. I think I might have been happier there.

Good luck with your search. Massachusetts is not an easy place to be retired.

Old 10-17-2023, 11:07 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,738,814 times
Shows how overpriced those candies are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts