Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 01:01 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times

Advertisements

Long post...

I realize I'm likely in the minority, but anybody else not like so many days in late October in the 75-83 degree range in the Boston area?

Sure, we've had some seasonal (seasonable?!) weather at times this month and even last month, and somewhat chilly nights at times, but it's almost November now! It's 83 in Quincy at 2 pm and some dewpoints I've checked in the area are somewhat muggy, some at 60 to 63 degrees! That's not as muggy as most summer days when we have really muggy dewpoints of 65-75 degrees, but somewhat close.

So when people and even meteorologists shout it's "summerlike!" it's not exactly, just the temps but not quite as muggy as many or most summer days of 75-83 degrees.

Sure, every October will see higher-than-normal temps at times, into the 70s or so. And we'll quickly drop overnight tonight to 50 and below, and next week will be chilly and no high dewpoints (I even pathetically checked Weatherbug's hour by hour forecast!), so no mugginess. And, okay, just the other night around 8 pm, I was in downtown Boston, but decided to head home as it was getting chilly.

But we haven't even had a frost yet in or near Boston? Is this Indian Summer weather? No? Because doesn't Indian Summer, probably in October and not September around here, occur only when the temps get warmer than normal for a stretch....but only AFTER the first frost?

And in the next week, only one night in Boston will drop to 32 degrees...so still not that cold for November.

I guess anybody who's an outdoorsman, or simply a lover of life and who has kids to entertain, simply loves this 3-day stretch in late October of 75-83 degrees, especially with the next week chilly. But it still won't be bitter cold even then, or at least what most outsiders likely believe we endure here in November: temps in the 20s-30s all day and night?

I can't wait to stroll in some consistent fall weather after tonight. I want to earn my hot chocolate and breath the crisp air, which we've had some but not that much so far.

Most living here brag that they love living here because of the four seasons. But aren't they getting cheated when we have such warm fall weather for so long at the end of October?

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 10-28-2023 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2023, 01:11 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,677,969 times
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of pinball unseasonable temperature spikes and I don't like keeping a bunch of clothing available to account for it but that's the reality of life here sometimes. I actually enjoy cooler Fall weather as well as all the seasons. I like Summer too but when September rolls around I'm ready for the change. I also get a little tired of all the complaining about cooler/cold weather, snow whatever. We're in New England. If it's that much of a deal for you, New England clearly isn't the place for you. If hot weather is your thing, I'd suggest parts of Texas or Florida where quality of life can be good and the dollar goes much further than here. But it's far too hot for my taste.

Old 10-28-2023, 01:24 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
I have mixed feelings. It’s hard to take the dog out in weather like this and complain because it’s super pleasant. But I also really enjoy chilly, crisp fall weather too and am ready for it by mid-September. I just spent the better part of 3 weeks traveling for work in ungodly hot areas, so I was looking forward to fall in Boston when I got home. Looks I’ll have to wait until tomorrow.

Old 10-28-2023, 02:24 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I’m soaking it all in. This week has been awesome. I’d love for it to be like this all year long.

One good thing about cool fall weather is it helps when you are taking leaves and working up a sweat.

Old 10-28-2023, 02:27 PM

17,760 posts, read 9,215,344 times
I'm enjoying it also.

Old 10-28-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of pinball unseasonable temperature spikes and I don't like keeping a bunch of clothing available to account for it but that's the reality of life here sometimes. I actually enjoy cooler Fall weather as well as all the seasons. I like Summer too but when September rolls around I'm ready for the change. I get a little tired of all the complaining about cooler/cold weather, snow etc. If it's that much of a deal for you, New England clearly isn't the place for you.
Agree!

Another long-winded post from me on this weather topic I started. But wind is weather related anyway, so that's somewhat appropriate?

When it's cold plus very windy around here, then yes, it's truly awful and even I don't enjoy that time of winter.

But the record-breaking snow in the winter of 2015/2016? of 108 inches of snow or so instead of the 42-47-inch average was an aberration here...and no snow at Christmas, as most of that snow fell after the first week of January and condensed into a short interval which made it memorable and in the national news.

But, everyone must admit it: we rarely fall below 32 for daytime highs in winter...certainly not 5 or even 20 degrees at 2 pm like some cold cities.

But yes, 19 degrees in February at 6 am walking to the subway with 22 mph winds is indeed awful, I admit. We get that at times. And yes. last December 23 or so, it was brutal on Newbury Street at 7 pm while Christmas shopping: no snow on the ground but chilly, and the winds were whipping so bad that I heard a couple of the few folks out and about screaming in agony!

But...as I have told newcomers to Boston for years, it's not that harsh in immediate Boston most of the winter anymore-- most years and most of the months. It's just not, I don't recall, at least in most of the past 20-45 years I've been a local! And yes, college students often leave after finals without any snow on the ground and usually very little prior, or just patches from snow we've had. This is Boston, not Worcester or northern New England I'm taking about.

I recall several times dating back years now: ""Can you believe this December or January or February weather in the 50s-60s!?" disbelief from many.

Well, yes I can believe it, as it not that unusual here. Likely expected a few days every December and yes, January and February -- most years!

And don't we usually hear about a January thaw, whatever that is?

Well, I guess that's after a harsh December of bitter cold and heavy snow and ice -- but unlikely in recent decades most Decembers? And when we get cold and snow in December, it's usually not for long and temps usually hit the 45-60s for a day or two soon enough to melt the snow. Thus, so very few White Christmases here in recent decades. And so few White Christmas weeks leading up to it to even get one in the mood!

Going back years now, newscasters lamenting slow sales at stores in Downtown Crossing due to very mild December weather isn't unusual...or news on lack of snow in Boston is keeping folks here away from northern New England ski areas.

I recall strolling in early to mid December 30 years ago downtown, in the mid 60s, no snow on the ground. That may have been only one day at that temp before it perhaps "plummeted" to 45 the next few days, perhaps? Still warm.

I recall three or four years ago deciding to take an evening walk here in Quincy because there was finally a December chill in the air. Wanted it to feel Christmassy as I strolled by houses with holiday lights. Sure, it had likely been chilly here and there in prior weeks but I wanted it to feel chilly on that December 9th or so. Too much to ask?

Yes, we can and do get snow occasionally in November, but it's usually melted in a day or two as temps rise.

(Blahblahblah, I know. Anybody still reading this?)

This post is especially for newcomers or those thinking about moving here but afraid of the "brutal" six-month winters.

We don't get much sustained cold here anymore, thus....we usually have no snow sticking around for too long, certainly not a foot or two as many outsiders may think. Our coldest months are December, January and February? And the average high is 37 to 40 degrees or so, depending which source. Not sure if those are all-time or the past few decades? We're not averaging zero or even 20 degrees at 2 pm! Warmer. Plus often no or little snow on the ground. Are rarely below 10-15 at night, and rarely down to zero. At least at Logan airport and in and near downtown Boston.

Even more startling: five or six years ago, on Christmas Eve it was 68 degrees downtown and drizzly and muggy. I was sweating dashing around town. On Christmas day, it was 65! The next year? 63 or so on Christmas Day. The next? 45 or so. And yes, Thanksgiving is often cooler than that, but these anomalies do exist here.

Anybody who tells you it's brutal in winter here has never lived here in the past 35 years or so. Yes, it's somewhst or sometimes quite cold, and even worse very windy, at times which is awful to me and most when it occurs, but some or many years we never have a 15"-30" inch snowstorm never mind several as might be portrayed in movies. We can go a couple weeks or more sans snowflakes or measurable snow! I rarely wear boots in winter here.

And...I recall maybe two or more Patriots playoff games in the past decade in January in Foxborough in the upper 50s-low 60s (?) and rain during the game! At night.

About 30 years ago, we were supposed to hit 65 in mid-February but it was delayed until the next day while the other East coast cities did see that temp as predicted.
Heck, I recall Mayor Flynn trying to initiate a Winter Carnival on the Common for mid-February school vacation week years ago...but I think he ran into warm weather too often around that time of year to make it take off?

And on City Hall Plaza around five years ago, remember that ice skating rink and the booths selling selling treats and crafts? They had to cancel that December opening day/night because the ice suffered due to warmth!

And...most Boston Common tree lightings occur on days in the 50s! Probably 46-55 at the tree lighting moment...on the first Thursday in December. Well, okay, I was there maybe 25-30 years ago at the tree lighting....and big flakes were swirling on an inch or two already on the ground. How glorious! But so unusual that time of year here, right?

Hmmm..and yeah, I just spent all this time on an 83-degree afternoon in late October, our last such day for a long time, typing this....I admit that's kind of sad, huh?

Old 10-28-2023, 02:45 PM

I'm glad that those enjoying it are enjoying it. Sometimes I and some others sometimes or often make it all about me/us(lol).

But I don't want to walk thru the Boston Common and kick some leaves in *warm* weather...just doesn't seem right. Never mind leaf peeping or pumpkin patches in this part of the country.

Even if one enjoys this weather, and I think I said it's common any October to get warm or even somewhat muggy temps at times, just maybe not this late for three days, should we just enjoy it anyway and not apologize and maybe not fret about climate change and its possible contribution?

Old 10-28-2023, 02:54 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,677,969 times
A strong El Nino is expected this year which, as usual, is expected to have implications on the weather.

Old 10-28-2023, 04:34 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,361,251 times
It has rained 18 of the last 20 weekends so no, not complaining about comfortable outdoor temps.

Old 10-28-2023, 05:04 PM

12,474 posts, read 9,560,412 times
"Late October 2023...many days of 75-83 degrees! Anybody else hate that?"

No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts