Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 02:36 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to go to MA this summer. One of my cousins and her husband bought a house on the Cape. She plans to have a family gathering in late summer. Since I follow the threads here, I've learned that at least (maybe more?) one hotel in Yarmouth is now filled with "migrants".

This has me wondering if we will be able to find a decent hotel should we attend the gathering. They will be living on the western end of the Cape near the bridges.

Does anyone know how long they're keeping "migrants" in the hotels? If they still are in hotels when we plan to visit, would it be difficult to find a decent hotel for ourselves? Thank you in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 02:53 PM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We are hoping to go to MA this summer. One of my cousins and her husband bought a house on the Cape. She plans to have a family gathering in late summer. Since I follow the threads here, I've learned that at least (maybe more?) one hotel in Yarmouth is now filled with "migrants".

This has me wondering if we will be able to find a decent hotel should we attend the gathering. They will be living on the western end of the Cape near the bridges.

Does anyone know how long they're keeping "migrants" in the hotels? If they still are in hotels when we plan to visit, would it be difficult to find a decent hotel for ourselves? Thank you in advance for any info.
The hotels used for migrants are usually the lower-standard grade or basic business travel type hotels (Clarion, etc). The more upscale touristy, boutique hotels should be fine. How long will migrants be staying? lol If you were getting everything handed to you for free, how how long would you be staying?!

Old 01-04-2024, 03:26 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
They don't seem to be housed in any of the smaller type motels that you find on the Cape. That could change of course, but I think you should be ok. Right now they seem to be using Best Westerns, Marriotts and the like.

Old 01-04-2024, 03:35 PM

16,293 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I'm guessing they'll be all over the cape this summer...maybe not being put up in hotels but possibly working

Old 01-05-2024, 07:37 AM

12,816 posts, read 21,993,461 times
As others have said, I doubt it'll have much of an impact on your stay. If they're still in some of the Cape area hotels (and I highly doubt the situation will be resolved by then), it'll represent a small percentage of the overall hotel capacity in the region. And it'll likely have a negligible impact on both availability and the rates (which will be high like they are every year). I wouldn't be too concerned.

That said, I'd consider making reservations as soon as possible. I'd make the same suggestion any year, regardless of the migrant situation.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:12 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
They don't seem to be housed in any of the smaller type motels that you find on the Cape. That could change of course, but I think you should be ok. Right now they seem to be using Best Westerns, Marriotts and the like.
Marriotts? Hmmm.

That's definitely more upscale than most hotels they've been staying in. Are you sure? Even if it's Courtyard by Marriott or Fairfield by Marriott, I figured those wouldn't be in the equation (maybe to protect their brand?).

Yes, I think it's been Clarion or maybe Hampton Inn (?), definitely Best Western, but not sure if they've been in any more desirable chains like Marriotts yet.

I think that Yarmouth place was a long-term weekly motel, not a hotel? And those tenants were suddenly met with impossible weekly rates to force them out for "migrants."

I wonder if Dedham's Holiday Inn and I think its Fairfield Inn is still housing them? Can't see why not, as the hotels are getting great guaranteed income. Aren't most or all the hotels involved under contract for a year or two to house them? So it's not likely to change.

And did I hear the Dedham Hilton was also involved? Hmmm....if so, that's also more upscale than the ones they've been in.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:25 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
I'm not sure which of the Marriotts are involved, just that some are. It could be Courtyard by Marriott.

Comfort Inn and Suites hotels are also taking them.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:38 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
3 migrant children got added to my kids Kindergarten class a couple weeks ago. I think there's now 26 kids and 1 teacher.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:08 AM

16,293 posts, read 8,126,207 times
3 additional kids added to a kindergarten class in the middle of the year is a lot...I'd be annoyed for sure.

This is what I'm talking about when I say this is lowering the quality of life for people already here. It isn't helpful to have a crowded classroom for the kids already there or for the teachers and I'm sure these kids are behind.

It's a big deal and don't try to act like it isn't.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:08 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
3 migrant children got added to my kids Kindergarten class a couple weeks ago. I think there's now 26 kids and 1 teacher.
Of course, they don't speak English? I guess an interpreter must accompany them.

Oh, and back to the general topic for a moment:

I wonder if they're shunned, maybe misunderstood by the other students? I guess it depends how the students' parents discuss the "migrants."

Hmmm...and I think Woburn was one of the first communities here to house them in hotel(s). Seems we haven't heard of any major or even minor issues there so far.

But are these folks still seen walking along some busv roadways to Target and such...I think someone here had mentioned sightings in Plainville, maybe Attleboro?
But I thought I had read that some private shuttles were available for them? Maybe the schedule isn't compatible at times with some of these folks, or they get impatient waiting for transportation as well as restless and bored and need to wander to the stores.

I think it was mentioned here it was seen in Attleboro, maybe Plainville? That won't be safe when it's snowy and icey this weekend...and it's not fair to any motorist who could slide into them in winter weather.

Did I read somewhere that some or many of these hotels now have replaced the regular hotel sign with a generic banner or blank sign?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts